Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alicia (55), bubblytam (56), crazydragon (39), JGag78 (36), kris82 (32), Shin (28)
Who's Online
7 registered (Going forward, randombreeze, VASurvivor, 3 invisible), 26 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63402 Topics
443276 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#460495 - 02/11/14 02:59 PM CSA/Concussions and Recovery
Robert1000 Offline

Hey all,

I hope everyone has been doing OK, as well as can be expected, anyway. I logged on today to share some stuff and to put some things down on paper/cyberspace/whatever.

1. Therapy and continued self-examination/care/expression/healing does work. It's a journey, a process. It may sometimes feel like you're standing still but you're always going forward. Respect the process. Give yourself to it. It works. (That advice is to me as much as to anyone reading this.)

2. If you're anything like me, your PTSD may influence your choices toward situations/activities/circumstances that can produce more traumatic events. PTSD apparently is a self-reinforcing phenomenon. But we all knew that, I guess. Anyway, about a month ago I was commuting to work and wrecked my bicycle and knocked myself out. Yes, I was wearing a helmet, thank goodness. Anyway, it's strange how symptoms of a concussion can echo perfectly the symptoms of PTSD. In my case, the blessing is that the symptoms have abated quickly, week by week rather than year by year, as has been the case with PTSD. Anyway, I just wanted to point out that similarity for anyone who has received a knock on the head and might be wondering why it feels a little bit like deja vu all over again.

3. Other events in the last few days have really opened my eyes to how far I've come along, how much I've healed, and I wanted to tell you all that it will get better, despite the setbacks, despite the seemingly endless road we have to go. The CSA that happened to me was almost 30 years ago. It hurts to this day, although the pain isn't as great as it has been. And better yet, I'm able to be a better resource for my family, for my wife and my kids. Hey, sometimes they need the dad/husband to run the ship, and I could do that before, but not very well. I'm proud to say I'm being the man my family needs right now, and it feels good.

Keep seeking peace, brothers. We're not out of the woods yet. But damn it we'll keep going forward.

Bob

#460509 - 02/11/14 06:16 PM Re: CSA/Concussions and Recovery [Re: Robert1000]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
Bob - i was researching concussions recently because i was wondering if some of my ongoing conditions may be the result of repeated concussions as a kid. it was interesting to see that some of the effects of concussions are similar to the effects of other types of trauma - including emotional and sexual abuse. i think it was compounded for me when the concussion was part of the abuse event. and the effects of concussions can last years if not decades. it helps to know that there is a physical cause and effect involved as well as an emotional or psychological one. makes it seem more "real" somehow.
lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#460529 - 02/11/14 09:59 PM Re: CSA/Concussions and Recovery [Re: Robert1000]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
Bob,

I've been tempted to post on the topic in the past, but never got around to it. We all know that concussions are becoming a subject of real concern in youth and professional sports. I think that concussions whatever the cause are not to be underestimated. I know that I have had more of them than I should have. Post-concussion mental deficiencies are well-known.

When I was around 3 or 4, I fell on wet concrete and hit my head. I was generally okay, but I vaguely remember being really irritable.

A few years later, I hit my head on the diving board while playing around. Once again, I was really irritable and emotional for about a week following the concussion.

I also played youth football and baseball. When I was 13---(just weeks after the CSA), I was hit and knocked unconscious during a football game. In addition to a severe concussion, I tore the meniscus in my left knee. Afterward I was something of a basket case. The smallest thing sent me into a rage and then to tears. I had surgery soon after to repair the meniscus and felt just out of it and mentally dull for several weeks---probably the culmination of CSA, the concussion and the anesthesia. Over time, those effects faded away, but the trauma of CSA remained under the surface.

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.