Newest Members
susanhepp, Breathe, georgetwo, frozen45, lilac
12291 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
closure (24), esp22 (40)
Who's Online
2 registered (WriterKeith, 1 invisible), 25 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12291 Members
73 Forums
63240 Topics
442221 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#460635 - 02/13/14 11:18 AM Re: lost (trigger warning) [Re: newground]
TheBobcatAgain Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: AZ, U.S.A.
My advice would be to ask for a sedative before the procedure. If you are uncomfortable with the idea of being unconscious around strangers (doctors), is there someone you trust that you can ask to be there with you?

#460658 - 02/13/14 07:13 PM Re: lost (trigger warning) [Re: newground]
newground Offline
Chatroom Moderator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: michigan
hey guys
Sorry it took me until now to report. I did go through with the test though I have not felt so terrified in a long time. I was zoning a bit, my blood pressure was at a place that almost caused them to abort. it all got very awkward and I came to tears but I told them. I told about the abuse and the flash backs that this test was causing. The Dr. was alerted(I was not planning to tell him) and he spoke to me in a very unexpected way. He acknowledged the flashbacks and his understanding of it, and that was it! no poor baby, no it will all be OK, no condescending talk, like we do this all the time. just a simple I know what to do. they had no instruments out at all nothing to trigger me more they simply sedated me which is freaky enough and then it was over. they did some biopsies,I should hear in a week or so but he said things looked good thanks so much for the help and support guys
jeff
Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. let me then tow to pieces, while still chasing thee, thou damned whale! Thus, I give up the spear!"
Herman Melville

#460662 - 02/13/14 08:47 PM Re: lost (trigger warning) [Re: newground]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
jeff -
i am so glad to hear this. sounds like the doc handled it in a respectful and professional way. i hope you felt validated.
hoping for the results to be healthy, too.
lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#460685 - 02/14/14 01:01 AM Re: lost (trigger warning) [Re: newground]
ShortedDiode Offline

Loc: Hamilton, ON Canada
I'm glad to hear it went well and was over quickly. Hopefully the test results come back favourable for you too.

My surgery on Monday went pretty well - it was over quickly too. I really think that the speed at which they do a lot of these things helps a lot in that the worst part doesn't last long and you don't have to endure being worked on for a lot of time. The idea that it was going to be over soon was what got me through it, and got me through the first wound dressing change yesterday too (that was almost as rough as the surgery itself - painful!).

One other thing that would probably be good for all of us to remember came to mind when I was in the waiting room on Monday surrounded by other visibly nervous patients: Nobody, nobody likes going to the hospital for surgery. Medical procedures are probably rougher on abuse survivors but it's still far from a walk in the park for normal people - that playing field is probably more level than we think...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.