Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Healer (53), Kilo (21), sdsjr (40), surfdude (57)
Who's Online
6 registered (finallyhere, OCN, md4e, Johnnygolightly, 2 invisible), 27 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63375 Topics
443148 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#459860 - 01/31/14 07:48 PM Re: SNOWMAGEDDON IN THE SOUTH!!! [Re: SamV]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL

Originally Posted By: DavoSwim
It's not these people's fault that they don't have winter driving experience, because there's not opportunity to get it if it never snows.

Exactly, which is why a lot of the people out there who are poking fun at us for what happened aren't exactly being fair. First of all, because people down here do not have experience driving on snow and ice. Second of all, because they do not routinely salt the roads here or treat them in any way for winter precipitation, so two inches of snow on our roads makes the driving conditions on them much worse than it would in a place that does frequently get snow and ice. So, it's kind of a double whammy

Originally Posted By: SamV
I have spent 40 years in the north, in Wisconsin. This was the first time in five years the weather was this bad in the South.

I don't know what the weather was like over there in Alabama three years ago but the storm we got in Atlanta then was much worse than this one. The difference was, we were prepared for that one. That's part of what made this whole thing so frustrating. It was far from being the worst winter storm we've ever had, it's just that it caught us so off-guard.

By the way, is it bad that when I was stuck in all that gridlock for all those hours and wasn't sure if I was going to be able to make it home, my main concern and worry was not about food or shelter or warmth but about whether or not I was going to be stranded somewhere with no alcohol? LOL! That's kind of how my mind works though. Talk about having fucked-up priorities. Peace,

Ken

#459861 - 01/31/14 08:01 PM Re: SNOWMAGEDDON IN THE SOUTH!!! [Re: BraveFalcon]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
where i live, it snows so rarely,
no one knows how to drive in it.
a lot of people don't even have winter tires.

as you can imagine, chaos breaks out, and
the accident stats go through the roof whenever it happens.

the snow might come once or never,
and it usually only lasts for a day before it melts.

War
Love
Poetry

#460632 - 02/13/14 09:09 AM Re: SNOWMAGEDDON IN THE SOUTH!!! [Re: BraveFalcon]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Well snowmageddon has returned. Here in Washington DC everything is closed--Plows are out and the snow continues to drop. 11 inches in DC--not sure how I will get my car out or when I will make it back to VA--but people were out, talking and commiserating--neighbors helping each other with shoveling steps and sidewalks. It is great to see the good in people--had a few laughs and now we are just warming up--glad we have heat and power. At least the important shops were open--Starbucks for a hot cup of tea--I gave up coffee three years ago--for some reason the smell became triggering for me during the unraveling days. Now when I smell the coffee brewing, it has no effect on me--good or bad. I just avoid. Everyone seems to be in a good mood.

This storm has hit many--stay warm and safe--and just a thought--help a neighbor and it may make your day a bit better.

#460641 - 02/13/14 01:59 PM Re: SNOWMAGEDDON IN THE SOUTH!!! [Re: KMCINVA]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Returned it has. This time we got a lot more snow and ice here in Atlanta than we did two weeks ago but this time at least we were ready for it. So, no traffic nightmare, thank God. Lots of people did loose power but fortunately not me. Now I just hope enough of it melts by tomorrow so that I can get back to work. (Not that I like to work but I need to and the more I miss the more I will have to catch up on.)

Here's some pics I took today in and around my neighborhood...

#460642 - 02/13/14 02:01 PM Re: SNOWMAGEDDON IN THE SOUTH!!! [Re: BraveFalcon]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

My neighbors and I also made this snowman today. Couldn't find anything to use for the mouth and eyes but some Milky Way candies that I had left from Halloween. The wrapper is gold so it kinda looks like the snowman has a grill.

Ha ha.... Snowpimp. grin

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.