Yesterday I was catching up with an old friend of mine on FB chat - it had been a couple of years since we last talked. He knows of some of the issues I struggle with. Jokingly, he asked me, "So, what's going on? Got a family and kids yet?" So I told him. "Yeah actually, I've got three kids already." "WHOOOAAA!!!" This sure caught him by surprise. "Seriously?" "Yeah seriously," I said with a wry smile on my face, "two girls and a boy." "Wow," my friend replies, still a bit stunned. "And I thought you'd be the last of us to get married! So what are their names?" I paused for a few seconds, for a bit of dramatic effect. I wanted to leave him hanging for a while. Then I told him. "I named them 'Mom', 'Dad' and 'Grandma'. It was unplanned."
The ratio of good to bad people in this world will always be tipped in favor of the latter. Always. But that ratio in your own social circle, you can control. And there, and only there, can the balance be favorably tipped, so that those who love you far outnumber those who don't.