Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cards (33), korbin2003 (39), Rosemary (53), Zebra (47)
Who's Online
3 registered (1islandboy, 2 invisible), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63215 Topics
442039 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#457465 - 12/27/13 09:52 AM Some thoughts
OCN Offline

Loc: Western Europe
Well it has been interesting this Christmas. Had a confrontation with my dad which made me realize that there lies some undissolved pain ahead.

It made me realize that its up to me to try and explain what is going on in me even more clearly to the ones closest to me. It's a hard lesson when you cling too much to others. It made me realize that i have to earn my independence by claiming it. Not by moving myself away from the ones a love, but by trying to engage the relationships in a new way.

This takes time. But it can be done. Also a book has helped me to see more clearly what i've been doing all the time. Because of focussing too much on the past, i got stuck in a self-deceptive cycle. I'm so concerned with what is going on in me, that i lock out everybody else. Reading this made me see this is exactly what is going on. I'm way too busy with protecting myself from others, that i have no time to relax and just be myself.

From the buddhist point of view, i've been building my ego instead of breaking it apart. I guess we can become attached to happiness so much, that we lose sight of what is really going on. Last year when i disclosed the abuse, first to myself and later to others, for the first time in my life i allowed myself to just be with the process. I didn't try to change any of the feelings and i just sat with it.

But now i've build up some defensive walls again and wednesday one of those walls was amplified and perhaps damaged. Yesterday i didnt do anything but thinking about what had happened the day before. I realize that it's very difficult to not act out of victimhood. It has been the daily mode for years and it won't just leave overnight. It is important to be mindful of this process. At first we will be unable to change the process or have any influence. But as time progresses the mindfullness can help us to see what is really here.

And to me i sometimes miss information on the buddhist approach to (sexual) abuse. I'm studying with a group but the teacher only comes and visit once a year and he'll be back in juli 2014. So far i havent been able to ask him about it, but i'm sure to do that the next time he visists Holland. On the internet there are some resources which provide information. There is one story i'd like to share with you, because it points out to something important: forgiveness

http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma8/healing.html

The story is about a woman who was abused by her grandmother. On her grandmother's death bed the woman asked her grandmother to forgive her. This is wild! Not only is she not asking her grandmother to confess what she had done (which would be part of the perpetrator - victim - protector triangle), but she also had the strength to ask for forgiveness herself. Her grandmother had a rough time which made her to distrust men.

And so to me it is hopeful to see that there is more than just the perpetrator. In my case its my brother, which makes things even more complicated - since i realized that my relationship with my parents shows a lot of signs of codependence (not sure what to do with this..) and i can't always hide for my brother. So to read this woman's story, to see that someone has found strength in the teaching of the Buddha, that she was the one who needed to ask for forgiveness.. it turns the whole world upside down!

I have a lot of forgiveness work to do. But i know now that its ok to do it at my pace. I've got work to do on personal level, have to change my daily patterns, clean the house some more, clean myself some more and work on solving my addictions. And for all of that to come to life, i have to start trusting life and be open and naked. Vulnerable.. no masks, no lies, not even to myself.

And so to me the abuse is slowly becoming the tool i needed to take hold of my life and start living it. I'm beginning to see that what has happened in the past isnt pretty, but when i look around in the world today it aint pretty either. Wars, drought, femine, floods, misery, human suffering.. it is here today with us. So no longer running away from this painful truth, that everybody is hurt by suffering.. it's a price you have to pay if you want to become human again. You have to allow the whole spectrum of human existence and slowly but surely drop your guard.

As the beautiful serenity prayer goes:
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

All the best to you guys!
Pieter

Edited by OCN (12/27/13 09:54 AM)

#457466 - 12/27/13 11:08 AM Re: Some thoughts [Re: OCN]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
Pieter -

there is a TON of wisdom in this post!

i quote below the parts that really spoke to me:
Originally Posted By: OCN
i have to earn my independence by claiming it. Not by moving myself away from the ones a love, but by trying to engage the relationships in a new way.
I'm way too busy with protecting myself from others, that i have no time to relax and just be myself.
i allowed myself to just be with the process. I didn't try to change any of the feelings and i just sat with it.
It is important to be mindful of this process. At first we will be unable to change the process or have any influence. But as time progresses the mindfullness can help us to see what is really here.
I have a lot of forgiveness work to do. But i know now that its ok to do it at my pace.
And for all of that to come to life, i have to start trusting life and be open and naked. Vulnerable.. no masks, no lies, not even to myself.

And so to me the abuse is slowly becoming the tool i needed to take hold of my life and start living it.
So no longer running away from this painful truth, that everybody is hurt by suffering.. it's a price you have to pay if you want to become human again. You have to allow the whole spectrum of human existence and slowly but surely drop your guard.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

if you continue in this path, you will go far!
thanks so much for this.
LEE
and though badly hurt at times, we are not destroyed.
- Paul, II Cor 4:8-9

#457473 - 12/27/13 01:38 PM Re: Some thoughts [Re: traveler]
OCN Offline

Originally Posted By: traveler
Pieter -

there is a TON of wisdom in this post!

i quote below the parts that really spoke to me:
Originally Posted By: OCN
i have to earn my independence by claiming it. Not by moving myself away from the ones a love, but by trying to engage the relationships in a new way.
I'm way too busy with protecting myself from others, that i have no time to relax and just be myself.
i allowed myself to just be with the process. I didn't try to change any of the feelings and i just sat with it.
It is important to be mindful of this process. At first we will be unable to change the process or have any influence. But as time progresses the mindfullness can help us to see what is really here.
I have a lot of forgiveness work to do. But i know now that its ok to do it at my pace.
And for all of that to come to life, i have to start trusting life and be open and naked. Vulnerable.. no masks, no lies, not even to myself.

And so to me the abuse is slowly becoming the tool i needed to take hold of my life and start living it.
So no longer running away from this painful truth, that everybody is hurt by suffering.. it's a price you have to pay if you want to become human again. You have to allow the whole spectrum of human existence and slowly but surely drop your guard.

if you continue in this path, you will go far!
thanks so much for this.
LEE

Thank you for the compliment Lee! I've learned from watching some talks by Ajahn Brahm that its good to fully recieve the compliment. Not tucking it away sayin i dont deserve it.. no no.. I do deserve the compliment smile

Other than that, glad to read it resonates with you. In the recent months i've come across so many different survivors and thrivers and yet.. always there is the commonality, the thing which binds us. We all search and try to express that feeling, which helps us to know for sure we are human.

And i have the faith and belief that every survivor will be of help to others, if he/she is willing to work on him/herself. It's not something to demand from people.. but from all that i've read i've come to realize the depth of human experience we can all find after the hard work is done.

So in this way it is an honor to share my thoughts with you here on MS!

Pieter

#457501 - 12/27/13 07:24 PM Re: Some thoughts [Re: OCN]
Bluedogone Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast US
Hi Pieter,

This quote really resonates with me

Quote:
I have a lot of forgiveness work to do. But I know now that its ok to do it at my pace.

I don't think I can ever read it or hear it or be reminded of it too often. Forgiveness is also something I need to do for ME. For my well being and peace.

CJ

#457555 - 12/28/13 08:02 PM Re: Some thoughts [Re: OCN]
wdmkr Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto, ON
Thanks Pieter

There was so much in here that leaves me with things to hold onto in my own journey. Things that help to remind me to heal and at that my own pace is OK. Today wasn't a good day and I have been beating myself up over it instead of realizing that I can't change 40 years of habit in 14 months. I will be reading the part about forgiveness many times.

#457560 - 12/28/13 10:34 PM Re: Some thoughts [Re: OCN]
wallflower Offline

This speaks to me. Thank you for sharing your wisdom. It's stuff like this that makes me come back to MS. There is so much negativity and I understand that is also necessary, but this is a helpful tool. I appreciate it.

#457585 - 12/29/13 11:26 AM Re: Some thoughts [Re: OCN]
ThisMan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: upper south

Quote:
[/quote]Thank you for the compliment Lee! I've learned from watching some talks by Ajahn Brahm that its good to fully recieve the compliment. Not tucking it away sayin i dont deserve it.. no no.. I do deserve the compliment smile[quote]

This is an awesome awareness. Thanks, Pieter, for the posting. It resonates with insightful wisdom.

#457797 - 01/02/14 05:24 AM Re: Some thoughts [Re: OCN]
OCN Offline

Glad to read its of help to you guys! So i posted it in the progress forum too, it might inspire somebody.. thanks for the feedback guys! Really helps to put things into perspective!

Pieter

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.