Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alan Fountain (52), blindpet (31), egoror (49), Midas (33), uwa (78)
Who's Online
2 registered (Moortje, tbkkfile), 30 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63646 Topics
444505 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#448018 - 09/23/13 05:29 PM !
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

!

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (02/28/14 09:52 PM)

#448695 - 09/29/13 02:53 PM Re: Archdiocese knew of priest's misconduct [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
Metolius Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oregon
What makes this story all the more galling is that for years Kevin McDonough was presented as the queen of responsible reforms and compassionate response to survivors of sex abuse by clergy. Yet another instance where the church loves image far more than substance and truth.

#448724 - 09/29/13 09:32 PM Re: Archdiocese knew of priest's misconduct [Re: Metolius]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Fallen arches

Puffer

#448734 - 09/29/13 11:58 PM Re: Archdiocese knew of priest's misconduct [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
It highlights how bad this episode was, that even the archdiocese's "canon lawyer" was repulsed by the obvious stonewalling. So-called "canon law" gives first priority to protecting the church--ahead of telling the truth and obeying REAL laws.

John

#448762 - 09/30/13 08:37 AM Re: Archdiocese knew of priest's misconduct [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

I believe the church is aware of many of the abuse cases and remain silent with hopes they never surface, the priest and/or victims dies. This case shows the knowledge the church had of his compulsions. It sickens me how many boys were left to be preyed on by priests the church knew were abusing children. Sad state of affairs for the church. I have lived it and know the church knew of my abuser and what he had done over the years.

The church just needs to come clean and make sure it does not continue. No more lost boys.

#448765 - 09/30/13 09:39 AM Re: Archdiocese knew of priest's misconduct [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
WriterKeith Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: southern California
Well stated, KMCINVA.

Although it is a large number of priest/predators, I believe it is a minority percentage of priests. However, I also believe that the greater majority of priests knew of the abuse and chose to protect the attackers over the children. Their silence perpetuated decades continued assaults upon child after child after child.

I should also add, out of all fairness, that clergy sexual assaults upon children is not at all limited to the Catholic denomination. A quick Google search reveals an epidemic of child sexual assaults among clergy in mainstream Protestant denominations as well.

#448895 - 10/01/13 01:49 PM Re: Archdiocese knew of priest's misconduct [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
DavoSwim Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Iowa, USA
I need to weigh in on this. This case hits close to home, as in the 70s, I was abused by a priest. It was known, prior to my abuse, that this specific priest had a history of abusing boys, but rather than relieve him of his duties, he was transferred to a different parish with the hopes that the change in scenery would allow him to make a change.

Not to excuse the behavior of the Church, but the belief that the time of my assault was that it was a moral failing, and not a perversion. It was believed that with therapy, prayer, forgiveness and remorse, the priest would change. It is so wrong.

What angers me is the priests and other higher up in the church chose to protect the Church rather than protect the young boys. There are so many lost boys out there, thought of as collateral damage in an effort to preserve the reputation of the Church. What the church needs to do is seek out those boys who have been abused, and help them. These boys need help, and they need therapy in order to heal. That need to be the priority of the Church at this point. That would mean a lot to people like me and every other boy abused by a priest.

Take care

Dave

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.