Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueelectron9 (48), Grunty1967b (2014), highflight (42), jocks44 (54), kitm1 (47), Porrick (44)
Who's Online
5 registered (whiteflag, kcinohio, Jay1946, 2 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63417 Topics
443373 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#442529 - 07/29/13 02:14 PM Is your child trying to tell you something?
pufferfish Online   embarrased
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Is Your Child Trying to Tell You Something?

by Feather Berkower

July 26, 2013

http://www.drgreene.com/perspectives/is-your-child-trying-to-tell-you-something/

Posted by Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (07/29/13 02:48 PM)

#442798 - 07/31/13 06:27 PM Re: Is your child trying to tell you something? [Re: pufferfish]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
Article Extract: "You can see where Iím going with this. By steady and open inquiry, the mother would have learned that the new Scout leader was sexually abusing her son."

You know, in reality it is so hard to tell if a child is trying to tell you something, and hard to get a response, it isn't as easy as that article makes out.

I've had suspicions from things some kids have talked about in the past, as a survivor myself I don't know if it is easier or harder for me to tell if something is wrong, there is always a risk of seeing things that aren't there (some survivors may be hyper-sensitive to the matter, although I guess at the same time more familiar with the signs).

In reality (in general) I don't think kids would be as open in their responses as that article makes out. Do you think you would have been that open under questioning? I know I wouldn't have said anything. I know lots of survivors who would have done anything to stop people from finding out (for various reasons).

I do appreciate that the article is encouraging people to inquire and probe, but i'm just pointing out that the article is quite naÔve and parents who couldn't tell shouldn't feel like failures or that it was their fault- it isn't easy. I know lots of people here ask the questions "how couldn't anybody possible see what was happening to me because of a, b ,c", and partly it was a lack of knowledge and probing yes, there are "signs", but even knowing the signs, it isn't easy.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#442811 - 07/31/13 08:10 PM Re: Is your child trying to tell you something? [Re: pufferfish]
concerned_husky Offline
MaleSurvivor

Interesting article, and some really good points. I agree about it not being easy to tell, even if the adults do inquire. As Ken's posted, having a good relationship with those adults is paramount - I for one would never, ever open up to someone I don't trust. Only thing I have to add is that I think a lot of times when the abuse happens, you're so young that you don't even have the language to verbalize/conceptualize what's being done to you. You're asked, so what happened? But then if you don't have the vocabulary to describe it, well...how do you tell?

#442867 - 08/01/13 07:19 AM Re: Is your child trying to tell you something? [Re: pufferfish]
Jacob S Offline
MaleSurvivor

If you ask a child and he says no but that doesn't calm your suspicions, the important thing is to reassure him that he can change his answer at any time and you won't be mad at him for not saying something sooner. Kids will persist in a lie if they think admitting they lied will get them in trouble.
all the people he can trust.
Like the one who stands behind him
cheering him on
Estatic when he stands defiant,
wild with abandon when he's gone

just stay alive.
do whatever you need to.
you are worth it.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.