Newest Members
mojo, James M, FredM88, Vermona, Jas52
12111 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
chrisH (34), Malaki619 (32), worcester2003 (51)
Who's Online
3 registered (3 invisible), 57 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12111 Members
73 Forums
62498 Topics
438052 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#442024 - 07/24/13 12:27 PM Richard Gartner video podcast
Richard Gartner, PhD Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York, NY, USA
Last February I spoke at the Vera Institute for Justice a nonprofit center for justice policy and practice, with offices in New York City, Washington, DC, New Orleans, and Los Angeles. My talk was entitled "Betrayed as Boys: Understanding the Aftereffects of Boyhood Sexual Abuse."

I was interviewed for a half hour, then gave a lecture that was broadcast to all the Vera offices as an Inservice program. Both were videotaped. The interview has been skillfully condensed and is now available online. I think it gives an excellent concise summary of what I have to say about male sexual victimization, and is a short introduction to the topic. This is the link:

http://www.vera.org/videos/richard-gartner-betrayed-as-boys

#442035 - 07/24/13 03:56 PM Re: Richard Gartner video podcast [Re: Richard Gartner, PhD]
mattheal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
Dr. Gartner,

Beyond Betrayal was the first book I read after breaking 25 years of silence and it had an amazing impact on me. I don't have the words to explain how grateful I am for your book and your work.

Thank You.
Matt
that the worst is all behind you
And the waves that tossed the raft all night
have set you on dry land
- The Mountain Goats - "Never Quite Free"

#442115 - 07/25/13 11:06 AM Re: Richard Gartner video podcast [Re: Richard Gartner, PhD]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
I agree--"Beyond Betrayal" is an excellent book.

John

#442215 - 07/26/13 06:55 AM Re: Richard Gartner video podcast [Re: Richard Gartner, PhD]
Richard Gartner, PhD Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York, NY, USA
Thank you, Matt and John. Hearing from men like you heartens me and makes the considerable work involved in getting my books out there totally worthwhile.

Best of luck to you

#442220 - 07/26/13 08:44 AM Re: Richard Gartner video podcast [Re: Richard Gartner, PhD]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Dr. Gartner

Thank you for all you do for survivors of sexual abuse. You have been a pioneer in the field. I grapple with family issues as a result of CSA. I suffer dissociation and fugues--been diagnosed and hospitalized and the longest I was gone for three days. During these times I have supposedly been acting out, but I have no memories and the family dismiss the dissociation, fugues along with the flashbacks and nightmares. They can be very aggressive in these attacks on CSA and its effects. They have not asked how I am healing or any aspect of the CSA--other than roll their eyes and ignore me. Any readings or thoughts on how to open their minds to understand CSA and how it effects the survivor. I have been working hard on healing--psychiatrist, therapist weekly, two support groups, and the support of wonderful friends. I have visited the place of the abuse to bury my Mom, told the parish priest what happened as well as the Diocese. They were more compassionate and understanding than my family. But I would like my family back but until they can accept the CSA and all that comes with it--they will remain at a distance.

Thank you and any ideas would be helpful to bridge this gap.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.