Newest Members
JLB, MrsC, wraphd, blufish, JPmc
12437 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carperson (26), Daryoush (59), Gary31 (48), Overburdened78 (33), scaredcrappie (29), ThomasO (63), Wornoutsoul (38), WRR (34), zakwilde005 (45)
Who's Online
3 registered (MrsC, 2 invisible), 22 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12437 Members
74 Forums
63848 Topics
445827 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#441336 - 07/19/13 06:50 AM Re: Dangerous Things!!! [Re: Lancer]
txb Offline

I think i've turned into a grumpy old man. I'm on holiday right now - at the beach. If you are a kid and you go to the beach don't you want to be out on it? There are crabs to be caught and sand to dig massive holes in. There's tons of kids here and you hardly see any of them. I dont know if they're all inside playing nintendo or if their parents are too paranoid to let them out. I came here with my little cousins and we've just tossed them out first thing in the morning and brought them in when it gets dark. I just watched one of my cousins swimming out in the sea just a couple of feet from some seals. Thats the kind of stuff you're supposed to do when you're a kid.

I class myself as really lucky to have grown up mostly outdoors and travelling around rather than indoors in front of the tv. I was pretty much allowed to go where i wanted and do whatever i wanted. Got some stories about breaking my leg while trespassing and having my epic bonfire put out by firemen. I think growing up being totally overprotected leads to general stupidity. Like walking into stuff while texting.

Forgot about licking butter knifes. That used to absolutely freak out some adults when i was little. Who ever heard of anyone cutting their tongue or anything on a butter knife.

#441342 - 07/19/13 07:52 AM Re: Dangerous Things!!! [Re: Lancer]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
what about "talking to strangers"?

and "respecting and obeying your elders"?

i was taught to always speak politely to and do whatever any adult told me! (as long as they weren't trying to give me candy!!!)

lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#441343 - 07/19/13 08:01 AM Re: Dangerous Things!!! [Re: Lancer]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
My parents tell me that when in school in the 1950s and 60s, their science teachers would hand out globs of mercury for all the kids to play with.

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

#441344 - 07/19/13 08:04 AM Re: Dangerous Things!!! [Re: Lancer]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
oh, yes - i remember that!
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#441345 - 07/19/13 08:12 AM Re: Dangerous Things!!! [Re: Lancer]
newground Offline
Chatroom Moderator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: michigan
it is true,my brothers and I played with mercury, and melted lead to cast things with too.... maybe explains a lot. there were so many other dangerous things like chemistry sets and building log forts to play in, jumping off of house tops, or climbing trees like batman with a little thin string of a rope. needless to say.had I known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself
Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. let me then tow to pieces, while still chasing thee, thou damned whale! Thus, I give up the spear!"
Herman Melville

#441361 - 07/19/13 01:17 PM Re: Dangerous Things!!! [Re: Lancer]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
I don't remember playing with mercury....but now if a fluorescent bulb breaks they close off a two block radius.

A few others:
Food and medicine was not "Sealed for our protection." Aspirin, mouthwash, orange juice...milk...and yes, Tylenol was not hermetically sealed. That changed in 1982.

I remember candy cigarettes at the convenience store.

"Is that toddler smoking?"
"No, that's just harmless candy sweetened with corn syrup and colored with Red Dye #2."
"Oh, that's a relief. I was worried he was smoking a Lucky Strike."
"He can't smoke until he is 15 because it might stunt his growth."

Old TV sets were dangerous. In the 50s, they emitted quite a bit of radiation in the form of x-rays. That was reduced by the 70s, but the sets of that era were often housed in ornate consoles of real wood.

The back of my parents' old console TV set (early 70s vintage with vacuum tubes---no solid state for them) was filled with warnings and symbols of danger.
There was the skull and crossbones and several electrical bolts.

As a foolhardy little kid (maybe 4 years old?) I just had to open it up. Once when my mom took a nap, I sneaked behind the set and pulled the back cover off. It was easy to do since TVs back then needed regular service. I looked around, but didn't touch anything. My mom woke up and saw me messing with the TV and yelled my full name to come out RIGHT THEN. Little did I know that those sets had capacitors storing thousands of volts. One wrong move and----I could have been electrocuted. Apparently my mom recoginzed that crucial fact.

Will

Edited by Suwanee (07/19/13 01:24 PM)

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#441362 - 07/19/13 01:45 PM Re: Dangerous Things!!! [Re: Lancer]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
yes. mercury.
mmmmmmmmm.

the way it would avoid your fingertip.
cool.

War
Love
Poetry

#441363 - 07/19/13 01:53 PM Re: Dangerous Things!!! [Re: Lancer]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
yes. mercury.
mmmmmmmmm.

the way it would avoid your fingertip.
cool.

War
Love
Poetry

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.