Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beluga (64), Isreal101 (65), Phil Sober (41), phil1973 (41), Teddy Bear (63)
Who's Online
6 registered (skyguy, Won'tGiveUp, watzupwitu, traveler, tbkkfile, 1 invisible), 30 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63644 Topics
444478 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#439681 - 07/01/13 03:43 PM Meds and Fear
BuffaloCO Offline

Loc: USA
May be time to break down and start meds, whatever those could be. Avoided them like the plague so far, all my life, as I fear them. You start one, then they seem to multiply and you're stuck with them for life. Hate decisions like this but don't know what else to do to get off this roller coaster.

#439694 - 07/01/13 06:22 PM Re: Meds and Fear [Re: BuffaloCO]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
I've never seriously considered meds although it was suggested to me in the past. I have known people who have taken meds. Personally I think the same way as you (for better or worse) and avoid meds like the plague. I'm just stubborn like that. I don't need them for sure these days, so I am glad I never did take them and found my way through it. I guess some people do get stuck on them, but I think that is increasingly rare these days (I guess it depends on your medical provider).

They say that meds can be useful in exactly the circumstance that you describe- "to get of this roller coaster". None of the people I know personally have kept taken them indefinitely.

If you need it, then maybe you should go for it. Either that or maybe there is something else like a holiday that could break the mind-set that you are in (that sounds like a pathetic suggestion I know, but sometimes just getting into a different mode can help you to see life in a different way and think in a different way).

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#439698 - 07/01/13 06:47 PM Re: Meds and Fear [Re: BuffaloCO]
BuffaloCO Offline

Thanks KT, I totally friggen hate the idea and I don't trust meds. Feels like being forced into it with no other way out.

#439727 - 07/01/13 09:24 PM Re: Meds and Fear [Re: BuffaloCO]
Rustam Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
I resisted the idea of meds for ages, in my case I felt ashamed to need them and afraid of side effects. I used anti-depressants and it was the right decision, wish I had started earlier. I have not been on them for years but they really helped when I needed them. I couldn't say use or do not use them It depends what you need to treat, what you have already tried etc. and how effective the meds are likely to be. The regular anti-depressant SSRIs are not addictive and have few down sides. If you are stuck and suffering needlessly with symptoms that could easily be treated with medication then I would consider them.

#439739 - 07/01/13 10:42 PM Re: Meds and Fear [Re: BuffaloCO]
BuffaloCO Offline

Thanks Rustam, and again KT. Don't really know what I need to treat, all I ever tried before is talking, well writing too. And that doesn't seem to work now, as I don't know how to put into any words what's going on very well. Would like a drug to just make it all go away, and I don't think those exist. So you still have to face whatever, and I don't know what whatever is right now. Feel invisible again like I did when I wrote my poem, but without the "now seen" part. Tomorrow I have T again, and that's good for me.

#440064 - 07/04/13 04:26 PM Re: Meds and Fear [Re: BuffaloCO]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
BC,

I have a love/hate relationship with meds. I've never taken SSRI antidepressants, but I have taken ADHD drugs. I took Ritalin as a kid, and now I take Adderall as an adult. The Adderall is a new addition since my T recognized ADHD in me. Truth be told, getting a handle on that helped me to tackle the CSA. I don't know how long I'll take it...I suppose until I am back to a place where I can handle the tasks before me.

I'm suspicious of this stuff in general. There are definite benefits and drawbacks.

Taking Ritalin as a kid helped me focus, but it also left me extremely tired when it wore off. It also made me thirsty and consequently made me pee a lot. I was always having to leave class to go to the bathroom. Trouble is, I was SO focused that I waited and waited until I was about to burst. It also lowered my appetite and gave me an odd stomach ache sometimes. I read article after article about kids becoming "Ritalin zombies" and medicated into submission----but for true ADHD case it is a wonder drug. It helped me stay focused so I didn't get distracted by every little thing. In the meantime, I learned new ways to deal with ADHD.

My point is that there are risks and benefits. I eventually dropped the Ritalin...and if done properly the antidepressants can be tapered off as well. Consider drugs an adjunct to other modes of therapy. They aren't a life sentence to psych meds.

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#440072 - 07/04/13 06:24 PM Re: Meds and Fear [Re: BuffaloCO]
BuffaloCO Offline

Made my decision, no meds. Am more fearful of them then trying to punch through all of this either with my T or on my own.

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.