Newest Members
Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1
12278 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carter (51), CAW1980 (34), Fissy Tsickens (53), Kris (52), Wheatthins (23)
Who's Online
9 registered (HD001, pittsburgh, 6 invisible), 28 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12278 Members
73 Forums
63175 Topics
441758 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#438590 - 06/18/13 08:16 PM Exodus International Leader Apologizes
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
On June 20th 2013, Alan Chambers the leader of Exodus International, one of the largest 'ex-gay' organizations worldwide, will once again be appearing on "Our America" hosted by Lisa Ling. Chambers first appearance on the program in 2011 episode had him putting forward the standard message of "reparative therapy":

Quote:
Back then, Chambers had said, "Change is possible. I stand by that phrase and I live by it. The opposite of homosexuality isn't heterosexuality; it's holiness." But now, Chambers has a new message: an apology.

Last year, Chambers decided to stop endorsing the denounced practice of gay "reparative therapy" and reached out to Ling for an opportunity in which he could formally apologize to those who felt adversely affected by Exodus' practices. Next week, he'll speak out in a special episode of "Our America with Lisa Ling," airing Thursday, June 20, on OWN.

The trailer for the program isn't embeddable, but you can find it here.

Quote:
In addition, a group of "reparative therapy" survivors will confront Chambers face-to-face with stories of their painful experiences in the "ex-gay" movement. Among them is Jerry, a former pastor who came out of the closet after a 26-year marriage; Sean, a Navy veteran who served three tours of combat before coming out in support of repealing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell;" and Christian, who Ling first met three years earlier when he was desperately trying to become straight.

With his wife Leslie at his side throughout, Chambers will face his critics and a pointed dialogue will emerge which brings the future of Exodus into question.

I don't get OWN, but I'm certainly interested to hear what Chambers has to say and what brought him to offer this apology after so long.

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#438610 - 06/18/13 11:38 PM Re: Exodus International Leader Apologizes [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
1lifenow Offline

Loc: west coast
IDK but I suspect he is just not afraid anymore.

No more fear of:

- what others think of him
- what he senses he is expected to do and be
- what he might lose
- being wrong
- being alone
- retribution
- just being human, making mistakes and learning from them

mostly not afraid to accept himself for who he truly is.

It is easy to continue to see the emperors new clothes, it takes great courage to look in the mirror and see that naked soul in front of you.

He lost the fear to listen to his heart above the noise.

yeah

WoR Barrie 2011

#438678 - 06/19/13 06:38 PM Re: Exodus International Leader Apologizes [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
bodyguard8367 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: ""
""

Edited by bodyguard8367 (02/27/14 05:26 PM)

#440496 - 07/09/13 06:24 PM Re: Exodus International Leader Apologizes [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
bodyguard8367 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: ""
""

Edited by bodyguard8367 (02/27/14 05:26 PM)

#440510 - 07/09/13 08:40 PM Re: Exodus International Leader Apologizes [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
GoldStone Offline

Loc: Far East
One sided gay love....

Been there. Yuck.

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.