Newest Members
Kotar, MountainGirl, Obsydian, campAQT, payne
12743 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
GaEyeGuy (46), Luka M (45)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12743 Members
75 Forums
65623 Topics
458954 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 27 of 27 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27
Topic Options
#477672 - 02/21/15 01:46 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
Michgem Offline

Loc: USA, Mich
I am using exercise to build my strength along with building what I have lost. I have never had any upper body strength. I am pushing to do 100 push ups and 25 pull ups by next year.

#477728 - 02/22/15 11:02 AM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
txb Offline

Originally Posted By: Michgem
I am using exercise to build my strength along with building what I have lost. I have never had any upper body strength. I am pushing to do 100 push ups and 25 pull ups by next year.

Those seem like great (and very realistic) goals to have. There's this guy who has a book called 7 Weeks to 100 Push Ups. It looks like he has all the info on his website too: http://hundredpushups.com/book.html I'm pretty sure he has a book about pull ups as well.

Day 3 of training for me. Everything hurts!

#478349 - 03/04/15 03:30 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
txb Offline

Last week didn't go so great, but somehow I gained 0.5kg, (about 1lb) so I was really happy with that!

Things are massively stressful right now. I have 2 assignments due in the next couple of days, one I haven't even started yet, and most of my day today has been taken up with dealing with some family crisis stuff. I'm still trying to continue with eating good and exercising tho. It's really really boring but I think having some kind of routine is helpful to me.

Recently I read about this Italian time keeping method thing... not sure what you'd call it. You spend 25 minutes working then take a 5 minute break. Then repeat that 4 times and after that you get to take a longer break. It's helped me be more productive. I now try to work out in 25 minute time slots too. I've worked out a route to run that takes me 25 minutes. I started logging my calories this week too, which I think is really helpful. So things are going not too badly.

#479009 - 03/14/15 08:30 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
txb Offline

I gained 0.2kg last week, which was pretty disappointing, but still, things are heading in the right direction. Since the start of the year Iíve gained about 3kg. Which is about 6 pounds. I know thatís not tons, but I feel like I can actually see some difference now. I donít know if thatís true or if itís completely psychological. I think Iím starting to like the way I look. Or at least I can see that how I want to look is maybe not that far away.

Itís probably about a year now since I posted about problems I had with food and that Iíd had to go into hospital because my potassium levels were so low, which can cause problems with your heart. Iíve been quite paranoid about my heart. Iíd been having heart palpitations a lot last year. But this year I havenít had any. I had my bloods done a few weeks ago and my potassium and everything else is all completely normal.

Iíd read something about eating disorders that triggered me recently, and it seemed like it would be so easy to go back. Itís like I get the urge to sabotage things when they are going well. Itís kind of strange when you have two conflicting voices in your head. One that wants to sabotage you and is so nice to you if you follow its instructions and the other one thatís trying to do things right and be normal. For some reason that one always seems weaker. But when I think about what I really want, stuff like being fit and healthy, maybe being able to come off medication completely and control things just by living right, those things arenít at all compatible with the voice of sabotage. So that guy has to go. If I can like myself more then I think itíll get easier. When I eat right and find myself making progress working out then that helps make me like myself more.

I just worry a bit about my activity level. Iím pretty much doing the same stuff I used to do (back in the bad old days). Iím not sure where the line is between training like an athlete and being a person with an eating disorder. I suppose as long as Iím not losing weight then whatever Iím doing is ok.

Iím running 5 times a week, 3x25 minute runs, 1 long run and 1 interval session (really should switch more of the 25 minute runs to intervals).

Lifting weights twice a week (and doing body weight exercises), usually 3 set of everything.

Boxing workouts 4 times a week, no sparring though since Iím not part of a gym.

I think that sounds reasonable?

This is my number one running song. The tempo is not quite fast enough but I like the lyrics, Ďjust escapeí is kind of perfect for running. The version I have sounds awesome on repeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph6fmk27grc

#479029 - 03/15/15 12:08 AM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
Cthulhu Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cascadia
txb - you are making gains with what seems to be a very cardio heavy plan. That's definitely a win. If you want more gains eat more peanut butter, whole milk, fats & protein. I make minimal gains too, but my weekely routine is focused around 3 lifts (deadlift, bench and squat) with right now zero cardio cause I just loose weight if I run (and can't really handle the expense of additional calories).

You're doing great. One can always do better, but really 2 things overrule almost any other factor:

i) which direction you are going; and
ii) how long you've been going there.

Cheers,

Edited by Cthulhu (03/15/15 12:09 AM)

some context

#480236 - 04/03/15 03:20 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
txb Offline

Thanks Cthulhu. I hope you are doing ok with your lifting and getting the results you want. (For some reason I really like doing squats). I know my plan is pretty cardio heavy. I suppose it could be worse. I probably should do more interval type running Ė itís more boxing specific, but for now Iím just sticking to running at a moderate pace. Boxing is kind old fashioned in that a lot of things (like running) are done Ďbecause thatís how the pros do ití. And the pros do it because thatís just the way itís always been done. Maybe there are better ways to train. Iím not even sure why Iím back training in boxing. Itís not like Iíll ever compete again. Food is my main problem really. I could do all the cardio in the world as long as I ate enough to fuel it. My diet is pretty limited though. I probably shouldnít have taken a class in environmental studies because thatís just made me worse.

Things werenít so great over the last few weeks. Somehow I got a kidney infection so that slowed my progress a lot. And some eating disorder stuff got triggered but I have it all under control now. Since I last posted here Iíve gained 0.5kg altogether. Not sure how that happened exactly! Doing this is definitely more of a self-esteem boost than anything else Iíve done.

I wanted to add this here in case itís useful to anyone else. There is a book called Exercise for Mood and Anxiety Ė Proven Strategies for Overcoming Depression and Enhancing Well-Being by Michael Otto and Jasper Smits. Iím only half way through reading it, but they wrote about studies that showed that exercise was just as effective as antidepressants for some people. I know Iíve read that before, maybe even said it on this thread. Itís an interesting book so far. I think also when you change the way you look and just feel stronger and fitter it really changes the way you feel about yourself.

I think I might be becoming one of 'those' people. You know the ones that go on about the perfect diet and wonders of fitness and exercise all the time, boring everyone else to death... Yeah, I think that might be me. I also spend way too much time checking myself out in the mirror for any signs of progress...

#484826 - 06/30/15 09:16 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
gettingstronger Offline

Loc: Virginia
txb,

Don't feel bad! How many of us actually felt good about our physical selves as kids? (Before the first of my molesters came along, I already loathed myself physically. That was at age six or seven.) If you're enjoying where you're going physically and it's helping with healing, I wouldn't worry. I find myself doing the same thing-- mentioning running, mud runs, and so on. I try to keep it in moderation, but I now realize the motivation is to identify with "those guys" who I've always idolized. So there's at least something to it psychologically.

Thanks for the reference on the book. I'll check it out, as depression (and a host of other things) are indeed issues. I run several times a week, do some crazy stair climbs, work out as time permits, and burn an insane number of calories at a large home improvement store where I work. (Imagine pulling pallets of flooring from the back of the store to the front, then down to the far end of the store, then hand-loading them into someone's car and racing back to the department to help customers, without breaking a sweat.) But enough of that! :-)

Thanks again, and indeed "when you change the way you look and just feel stronger and fitter, it really changes the way you feel about yourself." Very well said.

Bob

Page 27 of 27 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.