Newest Members
squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms, Anony_mous
12368 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Avyi (49), cross29min (59), Dartel (50), ernie (70), flightmedic38 (40), jggab (42), kev (66)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12368 Members
74 Forums
63565 Topics
444121 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#449503 - 10/08/13 09:03 AM Re: There are perks to being a Wallflower? [Re: csasurvivor1992]
Moreorless Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh
I am there with those who found this movie to have an impact on them.

I am 31 and when that book was published I was a teenager, my closest friend was gay, we were fans of the Rocky Horror Picture Show at the King's Court theater and, unfortunately, I was being sexually abused by my mother.

It's a difficult movie for me to watch; it hits really close to the chest.

Another movie that affected me in a similar fashion was, "Shame." The movie deals with the difficult obsessions and addictions that many of us have into adulthood in an attempt to snuff out the horrible feelings that come with accepting what had happened to us in the past.

#449518 - 10/08/13 10:37 AM Re: There are perks to being a Wallflower? [Re: csasurvivor1992]
Onesimus75 Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I sympathized with the main character, but neither I nor any of the friends that I knew of in Jr. High or High School acted like the supporting cast.

I liked the book a bit better than the movie. Disassociation is a big thing, and struggling to match cues with the rest of "normal" society.

One thing that I did appreciate about the movie was that there were strengths to be found in the main character's abuse survival. Charlie had some skills or strengths (integrity?!) that the others hadn't learned.

#455399 - 11/28/13 11:05 PM Re: There are perks to being a Wallflower? [Re: csasurvivor1992]
saint-of-Lost-Causes Offline

Loc: Michigan
This book and movie adaptation speaks to my soul! I have read it numerous (20) or more times and identify with Charlie! Seeing the movie made me happy and extremely upset at the same time, especially the ending...i was sobbing uncontrollably...my wife had to drive home.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.