Newest Members
SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo
12486 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Can-tex (45), cbchorn (41)
Who's Online
4 registered (Itchy Feet, petercorbett, Sonata1, 1 invisible), 29 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12486 Members
74 Forums
64149 Topics
447613 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#429697 - 04/01/13 12:47 AM Jobs: Anyone find out what good jobs are for us?
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
As some of you know, I was fired from my job nearly a month ago. It was evident that it wasn't the job for me as my lack of focus caused me to make mistakes that in a hospital environment are more serious then generally. Just wondering if anyone has figured out what kinds of jobs are better for survivors.

In addition, I have been diagnosed with a Non-Verbal Learning Disability and possibly ADHD. These could be just reactions to trauma but if you have either one of those it would be helpful if you disclosed that because it might be a better match for me.

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#429712 - 04/01/13 09:54 AM Re: Jobs: Anyone find out what good jobs are for us? [Re: onlyakid]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
Very similar to a thread on here a while ago...and an important one. Not exactly like you - depression and PTSD here - but, fwiw:

My line is freelance photography (real estate, marine, aviation) and advertising graphics. I mostly work on my own at my own pace, deadlines notwithstanding. Granted, there are times I have to be "on" for a client, but I can handle that in doses. Otherwise I don't have to deal with people unless I choose to, and it's a creative outlet.

Hope this is some help.

#429764 - 04/01/13 09:33 PM Re: Jobs: Anyone find out what good jobs are for us? [Re: onlyakid]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL

Delivery jobs aren't so bad. I got by delivering pizza for nearly 13 years. It was also the first job that provided me enough income to be independent of my parents. Although, these days it's very hard to get full time hours in most corporate stores, which is part of the reason I don't do it anymore. My attention/spaciness problems did come into play at times but being out my own own a lot, my mistakes didn't always get noticed. Also, I made myself valuable to my managers by always being willing to close the store and go the extra mile when most other employees would not. Not to mention the fact that in every pizza store I've ever worked in, more than half the other employees were a bunch of stoners, so it's not like there is an ultra-high competence level you have to compete with.

Now I maintain office plants for a living and that's been a pretty good job for me as well. I knew nothing about plants when I got hired but they trained me fully. I work independently, I'm don't have a boss looking over my shoulder and it's fully up to me to keep my accounts looking good. I have gotten a little flack from my supervisor about it taking me to long to finish my routes but I keep my plants looking good so they don't give me to much crap about it.

Good luck in your search. Keep us posted. Peace,

Ken

#440808 - 07/13/13 07:33 PM Re: Jobs: Anyone find out what good jobs are for us? [Re: onlyakid]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
I have found my problem is sleep. My sleep problems come from my abuse history. My sleep problems developed from there.

If i'm totally honest with myself, although I didn't like the job for other reasons, one of the top reasons I stopped teaching in a secondary school is because I can't guarantee that every night I will be able to sleep. As a teacher, you have to be able to guarantee that you will be there on-time to teach your students- no excuses. I got so nervous about not being able to sleep the night before that it started to make my sleep worse. I started to get really anxious about it, so I stopped teaching and changed career before I found myself in a situation where I would have to phone in "sick" (and also I didn't like the job for many other reasons). To be fair to myself I slept fine for the whole period that I was teaching, but the anxiety and fear of insomnia creeping back-in was too much to handle.

At the moment, doing a PhD, I am my own boss and I choose my own hours based on when I am able to sleep and what work I have set myself. As long as I am in work by at latest 11am nobody seems to mind (coffee break is at 11am, that is the only way we really know who is in work). So I have days where I get in for 9am, days where I don't get in until 2pm. But I can work late to make up the hours. As long as I get my work done and use my hours wisely then I am doing well.

I've been working hard to be professional, and have been aiming to be in by 9am at the latest. By the end of this PhD I need to be a consistent early-riser otherwise I will need to find another career path.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#440810 - 07/13/13 08:28 PM Re: Jobs: Anyone find out what good jobs are for us? [Re: king tut]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Yes, Tut, I'm still battling the sleep problem. For me, it's multi-layered. Yes it must have begun with abuse. Multi-layered because of my dissociative disorder. There must have been a terrible dream-life all along, although I couldn't remember it for the most part.

Medication gets me to sleep (Ambien or zolpidem - watch out, it's habituating). Last night I fell asleep without it but awoke after about an hour. In my dream I had fallen asleep against a strange door. In my dreams there are always doors. Bunches of doors and strange doors. Was this because I was kept against my will? Even when I was 4-years-old there were doors. Always doors. And there are always weird configurations of the buildings and furniture. Was this because my first abuser was strongly influenced by Salvador Dali?

http://www.wikipaintings.org/en/salvador-dali

http://www.wikipaintings.org/en/salvador-dali#supersized-featured-221607

The dreams have changed over time as I have progressed through therapy. This is good.

But I found that I had to get jobs which were a bit lower than my actual capabilities. That gave me room to be a little bit irregular. The irregularity increased greatly as I remembered the traumas.

What I succeeded in was college teaching. In that it was acceptable, even expected, that I would be a bit irregular. I certainly excelled at that. I could appear on the scene and deliver a lecture as required. Since I had dissociative disorder, I would mimic famous teachers as I saw them. Today I would probably imitate Dr. Oz.

But what you actually do will depend a lot on who you are and what you feel comfortable doing. For instance, I would not attempt being a Boy Scout executive. In that area I would have a constant problem with flashbacks and even panic attacks.

Puffer

#440821 - 07/13/13 11:47 PM Re: Jobs: Anyone find out what good jobs are for us? [Re: onlyakid]
Jacob S Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: where the shadows lie
Tut, I was also a secondary teacher for a couple of years. Never full-time. My sleep disorders and anxiety made sure of that. I've also worked in radio, library, and a bookstore. I've got a M.A. in English and I'd love to teach again at some point, but I doubt I'll ever be able to hold down a full-time job. Never have.

#440973 - 07/15/13 07:43 PM ! [Re: onlyakid]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

!

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (02/28/14 08:58 PM)

#440996 - 07/16/13 02:00 AM Re: Jobs: Anyone find out what good jobs are for us? [Re: onlyakid]
little big man Offline

Loc: nevada
IN 1991 or so. After chemotheripy and during. I finally broke down my resistence to taking psych drugs. Put on Thorazine andd prozac. IM on seroquel now. It is used for sleep, ptsd, and.. an aytipical anti psychotic. anyway I needed it for ptsd but now to sleep. Discovered i have sleep apnea. That causes a person to not get rest.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.