Newest Members
tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom, JohnWC, KKumar
12423 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dphoenix1701 (37), jaywiz2009 (69), mato (57)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12423 Members
74 Forums
63803 Topics
445536 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#426209 - 02/23/13 12:04 AM feeling good about this!
traveler Online   confused
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
i rarely look at all the official stuff at the top of the list of forums. it rarely changes and i just don't usually feel like there is much there to interest me.

BUT - a week or so ago i did - and found in "Moving Forward: Research studies" an invitation to participate in an interview for a doctoral research program. this is the stated purpose:

"As this study investigates the factors that foster resiliency in those who have experienced childhood sexual abuse, I hope to design a strengths-based counselling program that will help those who have experienced childhood sexual abuse."

i think this is a GREAT goal that i wanted to support so i volunteered. i had the interview today. it was a very positive experience. the interviewer was extremely kind, gentle and understanding. she is interviewing both males and females - but wants to get much more input from males because of the dearth of useful material out there. i was able to say exactly as much as i wanted - responding to mostly open-ended questions. i felt heard and understood. it made me feel good to know that possibly some of my comments might help professionals in the future to help other CSA survivors.

so - want to encourage anyone who can to participate. you dont have to be "all better" to qualify. i hesitated to volunteer because i know i haven't "arrived" yet. that is not the point - the term is "resilient" - however YOU define that. being able to get on with life is how i see it - in spite of all the ups and downs. being a "survivor" rather than just a victim - at whatever stage of recovery or improvement.

i think this is a way that many MS members can make a difference.
check it out!
Lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#426218 - 02/23/13 01:29 AM Re: feeling good about this! [Re: traveler]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
That is great Lee, thank you for letting us know about it.
I also never look there as there are no much happenings.
I'm bringing link for those interested:
http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=423770#Post423770

Pero

#426225 - 02/23/13 04:36 AM Re: feeling good about this! [Re: traveler]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
Congrats Lee, As I'm currently doing final corrections on my own doctoral research I can appreciate how much work this lady is engaged in.

I'd participate myself accept that A, I suspect that since my own abuse was on a sliding scale and happened betwene 12 and 15, with the worst stuff happening later I am just too old, and B, I don't imagine there would be an easy way for her to contact someone in the Uk (I don't even have a microphone for my computer at the moment and would need to do the interview by phone which I'm guessing would be less than practical).

i really do applaud what she's doing however and hope people will indeed share their experiences as you have.

Doctoral studdies once published are what governments, hospitals, health authorities and other legislative boddies use as source material in making any sort of policy decisions or changes, so yes, this sort of thing does! make a difference.

#426242 - 02/23/13 09:37 AM Re: feeling good about this! [Re: traveler]
LazyPirate Offline

Loc: Ontario
Great job for participating! I am currently engaged in finding ways to contribute to research & healing projects as well... I have a couple of things in the works & I'll maybe check that one out too!

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.