Newest Members
JACKL, Personman, SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul
12488 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alpha (49), AYounglove10 (23), joanne (27), justme62 (52), pontifixmax (44), royjay (46), Steve S. (48)
Who's Online
2 registered (tbkkfile, 1 invisible), 15 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12488 Members
74 Forums
64153 Topics
447635 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#425789 - 02/19/13 03:10 AM How do I stand up for myself? ** Triggers**
DavoSwim Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Iowa, USA
I'm still early in my CSA recovery. I'm so grateful for the help I've received from others going through similar experiences. I knew the stats on MSA, but somehow I still thought I was the only one. Sometimes, the truths that have emerged because of the help of my T and my MS friends, and the emotions I experience have been tough to take. It's only with the help of some really good friends on this site that I've made it. I'm started to make connections between behaviors I exhibit and the abuse I suffered. I was foolish to think I had buried the experience, for it was showing every day, but I was too blind to see it. I've always had a problem standing up for myself. As a result people walk all over me, and I just let them. It's been happening for years and I'm still haunted by episodes that happened 20 and 30 years ago. These aren't even instances of CSA. I know it happens, but I feel I deserve it, and I don't know how to stop it. My thought is if I defer to the other person, I won't make a scene, the other person will be happy and he/she will like me. What compounds the problem is that I'm a tall guy and have been described as good looking. People notice me and so I just can't disappear into a crowd, although that is my instinctive reaction. Friends, colleagues, and family notice it happening and ask me why I don't stick up for myself. The answer is I can't, I don't know how, but I dare not say that. I just stand there afraid to say anything. They give me advice on what I should've said and done, but by then it's too late. When things like that happen, I revert back to being a kid and I act the part of that kid being unable to defend himself against being held down and fondled. When I get figuratively beaten down, I replay the incident in my head over and over again, and I picture myself being strong and forceful. This doesn't help because at the next incident, I wilt once again.

I'm asking for input and advice. I hate myself for being like this. And when I hate myself, I just send myself back to the cycle of destructive behavior. I would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks, Davo

#425797 - 02/19/13 04:14 AM Re: How do I stand up for myself? ** Triggers** [Re: DavoSwim]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
Glad to hear you're getting help, some relief and a great deal of insight Davo.

I don't know I have a "how" for you. What happened for me was that when I gained the kind of "doormat" insight you describe, I became consciously aware of situations as they were happening.

I suprised myself when one day the word "no" came out of my mouth naturally and amazingly I didn't dissolve into jelly. From then on it got easier.

#425815 - 02/19/13 08:43 AM Re: How do I stand up for myself? ** Triggers** [Re: DavoSwim]
Zug Offline

Loc: Progress
I have had the same issues, except with me I either let folks walk all over me, or I go to the other extreme. This has played out many times in my life. Over reacting to things like this has been destructive in my life because it drove people away. In my opinion, these are coping mechanisms that we are forced to learn to survive. I learned to fight, I moved all the time, had no family to back me up and was constantly beaten and RAISED to fight. If I lost a fight as a kid, I had to fight them again until I lost. Sometimes a loss would result in a terrible beating from one of my stepfathers. Learning how to advocate for myself and look after my own interests appropriately has been one of the greatest challenges of my life. I never wanted to be a bully, but I feel I was forced to behave that way in some ways. This is a great challenge for me after the powerlessness I grew up with, we have been CONDITIONED to the kind of responses you describe to people trying to get over on us. Part of that is human nature, but we have stuff built into us through our experiences and family dynamics that guarantee this will be an issue for us. Learning how to 'stand up for myself' appropriately has been a process of taking my power back, and Im not far into it. I've found that real power on a personal level doesn't come from my fists/elbows/feet/knees or even from the barrel of a gun, but from inside me and from spirituality and my ability to connect to it and build/maintain a spiritual life. I am not preaching religion in general or mine specifically (I won't discuss my personal beliefs, generally) Im just saying what's worked for me.

#430976 - 04/12/13 04:00 AM Re: How do I stand up for myself? ** Triggers** [Re: DavoSwim]
Rj2660 Offline

Loc: Texas
CSA robs a person of power in many ways. It sounds to me that you are exhibiting that sense of powerlessnes. We all have to deal with this to some degree and find ways to recover that sense of control over our lives. We must learn how to step up and set things straight with that person who infringes upon us. We all need to recover and feel a certain sense of who we are in dealing with these feelings. It is not abnormal or just you.

You can recoup that power. You are worth it!
If someone throws trash on my lawn and drives away, it is mine to deal with. I make the decision whether to collect it or take responsibility for cleaning it up. We are the sum of our choices. For some, these were thrust upon us at an age when we were not qualified to take such resposibility. R.J.

#431095 - 04/13/13 10:36 AM Re: How do I stand up for myself? ** Triggers** [Re: DavoSwim]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL
Originally Posted By: DavoSwim
When I get figuratively beaten down, I replay the incident in my head over and over again, and I picture myself being strong and forceful. This doesn't help because at the next incident, I wilt once again.

I've done this all my life as well. Imagine myself standing up to someone, being strong, being forceful, being macho and tough, kicking someone's ass for fucking with me, then, when I get an opportunity to do any of those things, yeah, I wilt. You'd never know it to look at me either. I'm 6'0", 185 lbs, work out a lot and am pretty muscular, but, I'm a total pussy on the inside. Whatever component it is that other guys have in them that makes them tough and confident, well, I just don't have it. It's missing in me. Whether I was born with it missing or it was taken from me at a young age, I'm not sure, but it's missing. In a way I'm like a slimmer, trimmer version of the character Milton from the movie Office Space. ("I believe you have my stapler.") I'm cooler than him and slightly better looking but, on the inside, I'm just like him.

Originally Posted By: DavoSwim
I'm asking for input and advice. I hate myself for being like this. And when I hate myself, I just send myself back to the cycle of destructive behavior. I would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks, Davo

I wish you didn't hate yourself. I wish I didn't hate myself. I want to tell you not to hate yourself but I know as well as anybody, it's not like you can just stop feeling that way, even if you know you shouldn't. I wish I could give you sound advise on any of this but that would be like the blind leading the blind. All I can do is encourage you to keep sharing. It's good to at least let some of these negative feelings and this self-hate out. Even is it doesn't fix the problem, sharing somehow eases the burden of it all. Sharing and knowing there are others out there who feel your pain and know it well. Peace,

Ken

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.