Newest Members
Mike Boyd, Serenity40, markm, hans32, SilentNoLonger
12133 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
bluestar7 (45), ferdie1949 (65), jonathan (57), LovingFriend (27), tjp42588 (26)
Who's Online
2 registered (pufferfish, 1 invisible), 65 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12133 Members
73 Forums
62566 Topics
438390 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#424185 - 02/03/13 08:04 PM Los Angeles Archdiocese RE: Roger Mahony and Curry
WriterKeith Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: southern California
The following letter, addressing the Catholic priest-pedophile scandal and Cardinal Roger Mahoney's role in covering up the crimes, was published by the Los Angeles Archdiocese and ordered to be read at each mass within the archdiocese during the weekend of Feb. 1-3, 2013.

"Office of the Archbishop
Archdiocese of Los Angeles

January 31, 2013

My brothers and sisters in Christ,

This week we are releasing the files of priests who sexually abused children while they were serving in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles.

These files document abuses that happened decades ago. But that does not make them less serious.

I find these files to be brutal and painful reading. The behavior described in these files is terribly sad and evil. There is no excuse, no explaining away what happened to these children. The priests involved had the duty [to] be spiritual fathers but they failed.

We need to acknowledge that terrible failure today. We need to pray for everyone who has ever been hurt by members of the Church. And we need to continue to support the long and painful process of healing their wounds and restoring the trust that was broken.

I cannot undo the failing of the past that we find in these pages. Reading these files, reflecting on the wounds that were caused, has been the saddest experience Iíve had since becoming your Archbishop in 2011.

My predecessor, retired Cardinal Roger Mahony, has expressed his sorrow for his failure to fully protect young people entrusted to his care. Effectively [sic] immediately, I have informed Cardinal Mahony that he will no longer have any administrative or public duties. Auxiliary Bishop Thomas Curry has also publicly apologized for his decisions while serving as Vicar for Clergy. I have accepted his request to be relieved of his responsibility as the Regional Bishop of Santa Barbara.

As for the status of Cardinal Roger Mahony and Bishop Thomas Curry: they remain bishops in good standing in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, with full rights to celebrate the Holy Sacraments of the Church and to minister to the faithful without restriction.

To every Catholic in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, I want you to know: We will continue, as we have for many years now, to immediately report every credible allegation of abuse to law enforcement authorities and to remove those credibly accused from ministry. We will continue to work, every day, to make sure that our children are safe and loved and cared for in our parishes, schools and in every ministry in the Archdiocese.

In the week ahead, I will address all of these matters in greater detail. Today is a time for prayer and reflection and deep compassion for the victims of child sexual abuse.

I entrust all of us and our children and families to the tender care and protection of our Blessed Mother Mary, Our Lady of Guadalupe and Our Lady of the Angels.

Sincerely yours in Christ,

Most Reverend Jose H. Gomez
Archbishop of Los Angeles"

#424296 - 02/04/13 06:54 PM Re: Los Angeles Archdiocese RE: Roger Mahony and Curry [Re: WriterKeith]
DanM Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: So. California
I find it very interesting that Bishop Gomez took the opportunity to advise everyone that both Cardinal Mahoney and Bishop Curry are still in good standing with the archdiocese. What punishment are they actually subject toby the church. another lost opportunity to make things right in the eyes of the faithful.

#424301 - 02/04/13 07:48 PM Re: Los Angeles Archdiocese RE: Roger Mahony and Curry [Re: WriterKeith]
WriterKeith Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: southern California
Yes, Dan. Interesting and unfortunate as well. I was at one of the masses where this letter was read. Actually, I ripped off the copy from the parish sacristy because I felt more of a responsibility to share with our malesurvivor community here.

Many parishioners were absolutely fuming with anger and frustration following the mass. The "Prayer of the Faithful" focused on the need for parishioners to forgive and heal and move on. My heart and spirit are absolutely broken, not only for the victims who are being repeatedly hurt and insulted in the process, but for the many Catholics who have experienced lifelong indoctrination to believe that they are obligated to submissive servanthood to the Catholic hierarchy, in the face of eternal damnation of their souls. One of my friends is nearly suicidal over it, he is in such inner turmoil.

It's so easy for outsiders to laugh, mock, and dismiss the inner conflict this situation has caused for millions of people. Life shouldn't be this complicated and sprinkled with such intentional evil.

Personally, my spiritual devotion is now to humankind over any entity that was omnipresent, all-powerful, all-seeing, and yet did nothing during the raping of thousands of children.

#424303 - 02/04/13 08:04 PM Re: Los Angeles Archdiocese RE: Roger Mahony and Curry [Re: WriterKeith]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Sad that the church cannot admit its mistakes and harm it did to so many. It is refreshing to see parishioners angry at what occurred. Yes forgiveness can be important but first the church must it did wrong, take blame front and center and ask for forgiveness. But it always back pedals on it admissions.

Your last line is so on point--one cannot be spiritual moved by people who protect themselves at the expense of the child.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.