Newest Members
Mike Boyd, Serenity40, markm, hans32, SilentNoLonger
12133 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
casey (45), flaredsoul (31), Madcap (29), susie24 (59)
Who's Online
8 registered (aniceguy, CafeMan, 4 invisible), 74 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12133 Members
73 Forums
62563 Topics
438361 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#418167 - 12/04/12 02:08 PM Full Disclosure---How much is too much?
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA

My Story: Cruel Summer

#418169 - 12/04/12 02:37 PM Re: Full Disclosure---How much is too much? [Re: Suwanee]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
Once I'd told my T the first time, I found it easier to disclose here - it was like going through a "real" process gave me license to say whatever here.

But definitely bounce any particularly squicky bits off a T way way way before telling a family member. There very well may be things that they don't need to know or that can be taken as implicit. The truth need not be fully visceral; we all have intestines but most people would rather hear of them as a concept than have them scooped out and deposited in your hands with all the liquidy shit sloshing inside. The people who can handle that are surgeons, they want to handle it and it isn't part of their home life.

TRIGGERS
I practiced with the T today on disclosing to my parents. She helped me really clean it up while preserving accuracy. I.e. "He forced me to perform oral sex" is what I will tell my parents and a less vulgar version of what I told my wife. Wife heard little of my emotional state at that time, parents will hear no such thing at all. None of them got the full sequence of words, actions, times, sensations - the full "blow by blow", pun intended (much to my surprise). Those can be implicit within the main story which is unpleasant enough. These are words, not pictures. Kids are told to "tell" - not to direct a movie.

When it comes to family I take the line that Churchill gave to Truman when it came time for them to reveal to their "ally" Stalin the successful American development of the atomic bomb;

"Tell him the great fact, less of the particulars."

Therapists get paid for this shit, and they knew what they were getting into. They get the full Grinching whenever you feel appropriate.

Edited by SoccerStar (12/04/12 03:06 PM)

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

#418182 - 12/04/12 05:11 PM Re: Full Disclosure---How much is too much? [Re: Suwanee]
Jude Offline

Loc: New England
I think you decide what to tell and who to tell it to based on what's best for YOU, not them. What will best advance your healing and give you strength? Enough putting everyone else first. Take care of yourself for a change!
I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown, the dream is gone
And I have become comfortably numb."
Pink Floyd

#418187 - 12/04/12 06:18 PM * [Re: Suwanee]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/29/13 01:13 PM)

#418197 - 12/04/12 08:41 PM Re: Full Disclosure---How much is too much? [Re: Suwanee]
traveler Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: back in the USA
Will -

i think SoccerStar got it exactly right - tell the summary or outline version without all the graphic details. sometimes those are too much to take - even for those who have no prior knowledge - and for us survivors - it can be really traumatic to relive it fully while trying to overcome the reluctance of trying to tell someone you love or respect or fear.

you can always tell more later - but you can't take back something once it is out there. my T cautioned me about telling my wife too much all at once. i have told her all the main events - a bit at a time - as we were both ready - but not every gory detail. for now - that is enough for both of us. maybe in the future one or both of us will feel the need for more...

Lee
and though badly hurt at times, we are not destroyed.
- Paul, II Cor 4:8-9

#418246 - 12/05/12 08:17 AM Re: Full Disclosure---How much is too much? [Re: Suwanee]
seikei Offline
MaleSurvivor

The way one of my T's explained it to me is that we as humans get over trauma by communicating the trauma over and over again until it no longer effects us. Like is someone got into a car accident and then went to work and told the whole office about it. They may be Chatty Kathy but it is also because it helps them work through the trauma. For this reason I'm rather forthcoming about being abused if it adds to the conversation. I usually don't go into the gory details so to speak because I find it makes most people uncomfortable. Everyone is different though. I know it might not seem very insightful, but really its ultimately your decision what you want to disclose and how much you want to disclose it.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.