Newest Members
Jay1159, jon-jon, want more, pgh15217, Barracuda312
12343 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
GeneF48 (66), kun wang (32)
Who's Online
6 registered (YYZGIRL, unhappycamper, 4 invisible), 18 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12343 Members
74 Forums
63437 Topics
443456 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#468709 - 08/09/14 03:29 AM Re: Male victims are overlooked, and shunned! [Re: WayTooConfused]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
In Canada, police-reported data show that males accounted for 12% of sexual assault victims.
In that same time frame, the self-reported sexual assault victimization rate for males was nearly 50%.

Over the past three decades, the Canadian criminal law on sexual assault and other sexual offences has changed quite significantly through both the courts and parliament. It is now recognized that males, both as children and as adults, can be victims and survivors of sexual abuse and sexual assault.

Just over a quarter of those males who had experienced CSA reported the abuse to police or told another individual who reported it. Two out of the ten men who had experienced ASA reported it to police or told another individual who reported it.

In comparison to the body of research on female sexual abuse and assault, there is very little research in Canada on male sexual abuse and assault.

A summary of the reasons men do not report assaults, nor seek services. These include: stigma, shame, fear, and having their sexuality questioned. While men may try to find services, they will quickly find that sexual assault/rape crisis centres may only provide services to women or that although they can access services, there are none specifically designed for men.

Research indicates that male sexual assault is more violent with more corollary injuries and weapons tend to be involved.

Got this information from an official 2013 canadian government report:
MALE SURVIVORS OF SEXUAL ABUSE AND ASSAULT:
THEIR EXPERIENCES
Susan McDonald and Adamira Tijerino
Research and Statistics Division
Department of Justice Canada

It is fairly recent, and for us it is old news, but i hope it indicates a move in the right direction.

War
Love
Poetry

#468711 - 08/09/14 05:38 AM Re: Male victims are overlooked, and shunned! [Re: WayTooConfused]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
Interesting reading this topic again and seeing my previous replies.
I can add a couple of points however about the Uk given that I'm trying to get therapy at the moment.

Firstly, the criteria for recieving therapy for surviving sa in the Uk, is that it has to have been done by a family member. No! I don't know why either.

If you go through the courts the court can provide a some of money to pay for private treatment, and the courts also have some therapists who take referals (though whether any of them deal with male victims I don't know).

However if you don't want to sue anybody your a bit stumped.

on the plus side is the charity Isas who I will be getting councelling with who's website is here:
http://www.isas-notts.org.uk/service-users/male-service-users.cfm

I was particularly impressed by the fact that during my assessment, they knew this website, and new Mike Lue's book. They also gave a gender choice of councelers to speak to and indeed the lady who did my assessment asked if I'd be more comfortable explaining the generalities of my abuse to a man, I was okay given that she was an older lady but I appreciated being asked.

So, support for male victitims is existing more.

#468757 - 08/10/14 05:11 PM Re: Male victims are overlooked, and shunned! [Re: WayTooConfused]
Nothing Man Offline

Loc: Ohio
I'm a rape survivor too, and I could not even find the courage to report it. I was only eight or so, however, so perhaps it was to be expected. I wonder what percentage of MM rapes are actually reported, much less acted upon by authority figures?
Resting on my night table
It's just me lord, pray I'm able
I am the nothing man.

-- Bruce Springstein

#468765 - 08/10/14 08:55 PM Re: Male victims are overlooked, and shunned! [Re: WayTooConfused]
unhappycamper Online   content

Loc: VA
As far as I can recall, or guess from a relative's memories of the Little Summer Camp of Horrors, absolutely nothing happened as a result of the attack on me. No legal, medical, family or other social consequences... though I do remember hearing that the bad guy had to leave the camp because he "beat up" one of the older boys (maybe a 12-year-old or thereabouts, and who knows what kind of "fight" it really was.) This was in 1959, when people gave even less of a shit than they do nowadays.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.