Newest Members
Barracuda312, Just Hanging, mossTI, E35, 1975
12339 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
deaddreamer (41), hkkim (55), tony watashi (44)
Who's Online
7 registered (Bluedogone, don64, 4 invisible), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12339 Members
74 Forums
63432 Topics
443431 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#416565 - 11/18/12 04:41 PM Hobbies.
blacken Offline
Chatroom Moderator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Northern Ohio
I use Hobbies for more than just the fun of doing them. They also halp me gage how psychologically strong I am. if I dont want to engage in the Hobbies I have had for yrs, I know there is a problem. I guess it acts like a self-aweness trigger.

My 3 most favorite hobbies related to wine, beer & dirtbikes.

I started making wine about 15 yrs ago, because it was a family tradition of several generations. Being Italian may be part of it too.
Wine...I like vararity. But usually stick with dry, reds. Like Cabs, Malbec, Merlots, Zin & Pinot Noir. Including various blends of all of those. I have about 40 case (12 bottles to a case) of wine on hand now. Its not all bottled yet either....lots of work, but I dont mind.

Then I got into making beer about 13 yrs ago. Which is fun too. Related to wine but yet, different too.
I am currently out of homebrew. Usually I like to keep 2 kegs (5 gallons each) on hand for myself & guests. Then have 2 more aging in the basement to replace as needed.

Then my older (7 yrs) brother got me into dirtbiking about 5 yrs ago.
We have 2, 150cc, 4 stoke, Honda's, and a 125cc, 4 stroke Yamaha. All are trail bikes.
Yes, I did break something riding. But that didnt stop me.

I do have other minor hobbies, but these are the major ones.

#416568 - 11/18/12 05:30 PM Re: Hobbies. [Re: blacken]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
Hm, hobbies...

I started out buying used cars and flipping them. I would purchase vehicles with power train or suspension issues and repair them, then sell them. This was not a "frame off" nor even a "frame on" resortation, but simply repairing the broken item and selling for a profit(hopefully). I have owned over 400 cars, yup, no fooling. A large portion of them had a "skip title", where the car was purchase by me but not titled by me, I passed the title on to the purchaser after I repaired the vehicle. No, it's not legal and I do not do that anymore. My favorites are a 1966 Chevrolet Super Sport Convertible with numbers matching 396 big block motor and turbo 350 transmission. http://www.flickr.com/photos/10123958@N08/930277623/in/photostream

It's no wonder I live in a house with headlights, lol. I also did some minor work on diesels.

Carpentry was my next hobby. I loved to frame and build, but interior finish carpentry got my attention. I love the exactness and precision of "butting", "mitering" seams of wood with correct grain and color together. That was intense... until I broke down and the controls of the abuse overwhelmed the coping mechanisms. Still... http://www.flickr.com/photos/10123958@N08/2367172250/in/photostream

My greatest hobby is rebuilding from the inside out, and especially supporting my sons as they leave out on their own and my wife, returning the support she has given me. In the latter, I have 22 years to go and a lifetime to bring myself up to the level of care she generously gave.

Thanks blacken, this was a great deal of fun.

#416569 - 11/18/12 05:41 PM Re: Hobbies. [Re: blacken]
Candu Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: blacken
I use Hobbies for more than just the fun of doing them. They also halp me gage how psychologically strong I am. if I dont want to engage in the Hobbies I have had for yrs, I know there is a problem. I guess it acts like a self-aweness trigger.

I never gave it much thought but looking back over the last five years I can see the lack of interest in my hobbies paralleled the decline of my mental health.

Photography is my most recent new/old hobbie. I got pretty serious into it in the early 90's then I dropped it. I then got into target shooting, handguns mainly. Rediscovered photography in the digital era about 2005. While I still do some photography now and then I haven't shot any of my guns for over four years. I keep telling myself, "next year I'll get back to it". I started an electronic project that I haven't touched for a couple of months but that is my primary goal. A radio transmitter receiver project related to my photography. I've also got a lathe and milling machine and have an interest in metal casting but haven't done anything for a number of years except for some machining for stuff at work. Lots of other things I would like to do if I had the time.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.