Newest Members
DavidM-LT, lmarsden, Raysn226, 20;1;14;5., Talman
12772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
DruidWolf (40), Harry (34), knigh50 (54), mike54 (57)
Who's Online
5 registered (Strive 38/11, iaccus, 3 invisible), 19 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12772 Members
75 Forums
65786 Topics
460136 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10
Topic Options
#431634 - 04/18/13 03:34 AM Re: I'm attracted to preteens [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
lukedamien Offline

Is a lcsw like being a therapist? I'm interested in finding out some things about this. I'm not crazy but somebody has been explaining to me how I don't have to be crazy to see one.

#431635 - 04/18/13 03:58 AM Re: I'm attracted to preteens [Re: DarkHadou]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
Hey Luke, LCSW is abbreviation from Licensed Clinical Social Worker, according to wikipedia such persons are educated in psychotherapy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_credentials_in_psychology

I hope someone with more knowledge could help us here.

Pero

#431636 - 04/18/13 04:05 AM Re: I'm attracted to preteens [Re: peroperic2009]
lukedamien Offline

smile

Thank you.

#431682 - 04/18/13 04:48 PM Re: I'm attracted to preteens [Re: DarkHadou]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lyons, CO USA
I'm not sure of what I can add to the discussion regarding LCSW.
Social workers can be a college graduates. Many social workers get a start in child protective services, an entry level job. Because the job is pretty intense, a lot don't make it and bail out after a year or so. Some go on to take administrative jobs with a bit more experience and others go on to grad school.

The LCSW is, to my knowledge, a masters' level that requires certification plus experience and additional training. In addition, LCSWs are required to get continuing education credits on a yearly basis.

It's no guarantee that a LCSW is any more competent than a masters' level psychologist or LPC (licensed professional counselor). Best to interview the therapist using the "Consumer's Guide to Therapist Shopping". Be aware that the therapist who is too busy to answer your questions is probably someone who may be very competent in treatment but is not maybe a good fit for you.

Hope this answers your questions.

#431701 - 04/18/13 09:49 PM Re: I'm attracted to preteens [Re: DarkHadou]
GT13568 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California, 93451
Edited

Edited by GT13568 (04/18/13 11:51 PM)

#474380 - 01/01/15 07:28 PM Re: I'm attracted to preteens [Re: limit]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
one thing i do support and advocate is full disclosure and brutal honesty.
expose the facts, get as close to the truth as possible, fix the mistakes, repair the damage, admit the errors, correct the course, kill the secrecy, practice transparency!
do this every day, adopt the habit, make it ritual, it becomes second nature.
the downside is increased vulnerability to criticism and exposure to negative consequences, so extra emotional protection is required.
before the defence strategy of denial can be abandoned safely, one must learn to be keenly self aware of one's own strengths as well as faults, be willing to take some responsibility, and be ready to accept that improvement is necessary for survival.

come examples...

Originally Posted By: Jim1104
I really need to learn to distinguish between thoughts and actions.

Ultimately, regardless of what I want to hear or read, the fact is the discussion about the real meaning of pedophilia, etc. has been good.

Originally Posted By: limit
regardless of whether or not someone is a pedophile, the fact of the matter is: that these sorts of thoughts and urges should not be treated like leprosy or the plague. i wish people would get clear on the meaning between a thought & urge, and an action, versus all of that and its moral relation to a person's character.

if it's anyone who wants to abuse or hurt anyone else - those thoughts need to be put out in the open nonjudgmentally.

ABUSE THRIVES IN SILENCE

link>> CONSPIRACY of SILENCE
stand up and speak out for the silent survivors.
stop the cycle of violence.
end the code of silence.

http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=432874#Post432874

this is a very disturbing discussion, but there is much here to discover.
i have been reading the various posts here, and i think the idea of "intrusive thoughts" or "compulsions" or "unhealthy obsessions" or "urges" to cause harm or commit crimes and sins is not limited to sex or SA survivors.
the concept and allure of "forbidden fruit" or "taboo" and the thrill of rebellion and the illusion of power are ancient human problems.

the thoughts and ideas presented here could just as well apply to almost any other destructive and addictive behaviour patterns in anyone.

"There is a hideous pleasure which is produced by intense and forbidden impressions and fatal sights."
~ Gilles de Rais

"The charm of horror tempts only the strong."
~ Charles Baudelaire

"At the root of every taboo, there must be desire."
~ Sigmund Freud

"The depravity of man is at once the most empirically verifiable reality
but at the same time the most intellectually resisted fact."
~ Malcolm Muggeridge

"The proof of spiritual maturity
is not how 'pure' you are but awareness of your impurity."
~ Philip Yancey

"We always resist prohibitions, and yearn for what is denied us."
~ Baruch Spinoza

"I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it."
~ Mae West

"Man cannot live without joy; therefore when he is deprived of true spiritual joys
it is necessary that he become addicted to carnal pleasures."
~ Thomas Aquinas

"Power is the ultimate aphrodisiac."
~ Henry Kissinger

War
Love
Poetry

#474411 - 01/02/15 10:52 AM Re: I'm attracted to preteens [Re: victor-victim]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: FEMA Region 1
Quote Of The Week!

Originally Posted By: victor-victim
one thing i do support and advocate is full disclosure and brutal honesty.
expose the facts, get as close to the truth as possible, fix the mistakes, repair the damage, admit the errors, correct the course, kill the secrecy, practice transparency!
do this every day, adopt the habit, make it ritual, it becomes second nature.
the downside is increased vulnerability to criticism and exposure to negative consequences, so extra emotional protection is required.
before the defense strategy of denial can be abandoned safely, one must learn to be keenly self aware of one's own strengths as well as faults, be willing to take some responsibility, and be ready to accept that improvement is necessary for survival.

IMO: This doctrine is universal. Once you have something to hide, there is clearly an imbalance of something. It need not only apply to the original subject of this thread.

So very well stated Victor! This one is worthy of wall space in any therapeutic venue.

Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.