Newest Members
Jay1159, jon-jon, want more, pgh15217, Barracuda312
12343 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
GeneF48 (66), kun wang (32)
Who's Online
2 registered (HD001, gatoonfanatic), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12343 Members
74 Forums
63437 Topics
443450 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#410441 - 09/17/12 08:01 PM Re: Eye problems (including reading) after abuse [Re: traveler]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
My family moved to Denver when I was 15. They started noticing that I had problems. My eyes had "turned" and I couldn't talk. What other symptoms did they notice? Why did it take them years after the abuse?

My father took me to an eye doctor (ophthalmologist). The doctor was the father of the astronaut, Jack Swigert. I learned much later from my mother (that's how I always learned stuff) that the doctor said that my eye problems were from emotional problems. Well, so..... duuuuuhhhhhh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Swigert

His role as an astronaut was portrayed by Kevin Bacon in the movie Apollo 13. Astronaut Swigert had graduated from the same high school that I was attending when his father evaluated my vision. He graduated from the same University from which I would later graduate. I didn't know any of that then and I didn't derive any benefit from that interesting information.

Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (09/17/12 09:21 PM)

#425051 - 02/12/13 11:47 AM Re: Eye problems (including reading) after abuse [Re: pufferfish]
xxanxus Offline

Loc: Global
I was born with Esotropia and as a baby I did have surgery to straighten them out. The surgery was only cosmetic as it only fixed the appearence of my eyes. During my CSA my eye sight got significantly worse but I eventually learnt that the worsening of the problem was psychological. As I worked through my CSA issues in therapy my eye sight got slightly better. After my ASA I developed hysterical blindness for a few months, eventually with the aid of therapy my eye sight returned. But as an adult I can't drive and I rely heavily on my hearing

#425081 - 02/12/13 04:59 PM Re: Eye problems (including reading) after abuse [Re: xxanxus]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

This is a good thread for those of us with this problem.

My eyes exercise best when I'm shopping in Wal-Mart or similar store. That's not because of anything special about Wal-Mart. It's just that when I'm there pushing a basket, my eyes search back and forth and up and down as I try to find the items I need. In the process the eye muscles are getting a good workout under relaxed conditions. I get eye fatigue later. I also get a good eye workout seeing movies, especially 3-D movies.

I actually get dissociative pain in the back of my head after these "exercise" sessions. That's because the part of the brain chiefly concerned with vision is in the back of the brain.

Now that I've discovered I was probably secretly given LSD by the perpetrator when I was 12, I wonder to what extent this contributed to my eye problem. The eye problem got significantly worse during that fracas. I only have questions at this point, not answers. Did I go "nuts" when given the LSD and did the perp. knock me on the head to control me? Possibly this would explain why one of the eye clinicians, viewing my pictures post-trauma, stated that it looked as though I had experienced "blunt trauma" to the head.

Puffer

#425627 - 02/17/13 10:07 PM Re: Eye problems (including reading) after abuse [Re: pufferfish]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Here is an important reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHxxMUQDIwM&noredirect=1

Also, the idea that the brain is plastic - it can change - we CAN relearn patterns from what abuse has taught us.

Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (02/17/13 10:09 PM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.