Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
corvairman1 (43), marianne (44), son (35), speedy (31)
Who's Online
1 registered (Tanis2105), 52 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62521 Topics
438140 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#9103 - 10/09/01 04:14 PM Insightful in identifying triggers.
fmighell Offline

Loc: Anchorage,Alaska
Just a paragraph from Nancy J. Napier's book
"Getting Through The Day"
Building Bridges-4th chapter:
Quote:
At times no amount of adult understanding can keep you from being triggered, because you haven't yet completed the healing process around a traumatic childhood experience. It's helpful to acknowledge that this is a normal part of moving through healing. It's not the end of the world. It doesn't mean you've failed. It just means that the feelings coming up are still held in a pocket of time that hasn't fully been brought into your current psychological timeframe. With practice, things WILL change and you will have a much greater ability to use these moments to increase your sense of competence, safety, and mastery in the present.

I hope some others can relate to this as I can.
fmighell anc ak

#9104 - 10/09/01 05:41 PM Re: Insightful in identifying triggers.
Stephen_5 Offline
BoD Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Northern California Foothills
fmighell,

That is an excellent quote. I'll have to get the book and read it, it sounds helpful. I've said before that knowledge and awareness of what the triggers are helps but understanding and change come with time.

Steve

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.