I decided that I would post every development in my saga in hopes that other Fentress victims will make their way here and see that they are not alone.

Mr. Fentress was a teacher in Poughkeepsie from (I believe) 1964 until his arrest in 1979. During that time, he was the administrator of many school clubs, and took many students on ski trips and excursions to Boston.

If you are victim of Albert Fentress, please look around this site, it is full of great people and good advice and best of all you can do so anonymously.

If you would like to contact me and say hi, that would be great, you should feel free to do so but that is up to you.

You are not alone.

Curtis / Roland

The Poughkeepsie Journal
Sunday, May 2, 2004

Sex abuse victim to speak at workshop about trauma

A former Poughkeepsie resident who testified he was molested by confessed cannibal Albert Fentress will be a featured speaker at a workshop on trauma to be held Thursday in Kingston.

Curtis St. John, a resident of Westchester County, will lead a discussion, ''Under the Influence of Abuse,'' at a workshop called ''Real Men Experience Trauma,'' co-hosted by the Mental Health Association in Ulster County.

The event will be held from noon to 5 p.m. at the Ramada Inn on Route 28.

St. John, 35, was a fourth-grader living in the City of Poughkeepsie in spring 1979 when Fentress, then a Poughkeepsie Middle School teacher, offered to tutor him. He testified in court two years ago that Fentress had sexually abused him on several occasions.

Later that year, Fentress killed and cannibalized a Town of Poughkeepsie teenager. He was found not guilty of the crime by reason of insanity and has been confined to mental institutions since.

Former resident testified

In 2002, Fentress petitioned the state to be released from a mental hospital on Long Island. St. John was one of two former Poughkeepsie residents to come forward at a court hearing in September 2002 and reveal Fentress had molested him.

Citing that testimony, Supreme Court Judge James Catterson ruled Fentress should be transferred to a secure mental facility in Orange County.
The workshop is co-sponsored by the Ulster County chapter of the National Association for the Mentally Ill and Four Winds Hospital of Katonah.

For reservations and information, call 845-339-9090.

-- Larry Fisher-Hertz