Newest Members
DT, kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS
12257 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
ByondClosedDoors (41), Dave1425 (32), DeafDavid (23), LowSky (57)
Who's Online
4 registered (pufferfish, Obi, 2 invisible), 37 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
63120 Topics
441405 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#85759 - 05/01/04 10:47 PM Female Sex Predator Heads to Men's Center
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Flint, Michigan
Female Sex Predator Heads to Men's Center

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&e=1&u=/ap/female_sex_offender
Her great quote about being against this - "I'm not worried about re-offending I'm worried about what it looks like to other people."

#85760 - 05/02/04 12:21 AM Re: Female Sex Predator Heads to Men's Center
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
Well, she looks like a man, she should fit into their group well.

I can not even think of an appropriate comment right now. I really despise these people.

leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#85761 - 05/02/04 01:06 PM Re: Female Sex Predator Heads to Men's Center
SAR Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Quote:
one of only three female sex offenders in the nation considered dangerous enough to be civilly committed
Let's go out and get her some company then.

Bill, I think that quote of hers you mentioned isn't actually about the co-ed group, it's about her worrying what people would think if she got a job that had a chance of putting her in contact with chidren.

I'm with Leosha. None of my other comments are appropriate.

#85762 - 05/02/04 02:11 PM Re: Female Sex Predator Heads to Men's Center
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Flint, Michigan
Yes SAR, I did misread it the first time. My apologies.

Hmmm. They say that a owner looks like their dog. Interesting that she wants a pug. :rolleyes:

Bill

#85763 - 05/03/04 03:21 PM Re: Female Sex Predator Heads to Men's Center
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Massachusetts
Well, now it's official: women offenders are just as frigging clueless as male offenders!

That she's an unsuccessful murderer as well is absolutely charming. Maybe I should introduce her to the sonofabitch counselor who tried to murder me in exactly the same way?

Yeah, that'd be a match made in Hell. \:\(

Scot

fromacuriousmind.blogspot.com
malehurtandsurvive.blogspot.com

#85764 - 05/03/04 04:41 PM Re: Female Sex Predator Heads to Men's Center
Pollyanna Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Missouri
Oh Bravo.

Why is she smiling?

Isn't that too bad that she feels "uncomfortable" in her situation. Poor baby. She doesn't want to hear it from a guy who might want to re-do something to "women". Awwwww...whasamatter? Don't want to know what it would feel like to be that little girl she tortured????? OR THE OTHER 15....FIFTEEEEEEEEENNNNNN!!!!!

Throw the freakin' key away.

Unbelievable.

Anne Lamott

#85765 - 05/03/04 04:54 PM Re: Female Sex Predator Heads to Men's Center
learning2remember Offline

Loc: Europe
How many things are wrong with this picture?!

You want to know who ticks me off that y'all haven't mentioned yet?

That psychologist, Ruth Matthews, who said,

"Women are more likely to be sex abuse victims themselves," Mathews said, "so placing female sex offenders into groups with men can be harmful and leave them feeling revictimized."

OK, I don't know the relative statistics, but as far as I know male abusers are also likely to have been victims. (AND IT'S NO EXCUSE FOR ANYBODY!!) By Matthews' logic, some of the men in the group could be left feeling revictimized. That doesn't let them off the hook, though.

Or hey, what about any woman that would be in a group with this smiling jerk, especially one victimized as a kid.

Where to begin.

It's hard to pinpoint, but I just feel the article is being to gentle on her. Ugh.

#85766 - 05/03/04 05:35 PM Re: Female Sex Predator Heads to Men's Center
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Another one to add to the files of "You Couldn't Make It Up !"

Dave

#85767 - 05/03/04 09:59 PM Re: Female Sex Predator Heads to Men's Center
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
I just wanted to add this to the discussion. I know Ruth Matthews, the psychologist who was quoted in the article. She is a victim oriented person and I believe the quote was taken out of context or was only part of much more that she said.

Media reports only a fraction of what is said in an article. I have talked with reporters many times for 20 minutes or more and have only a few lines that were printed. While the quotes may be accurate, the context or the other things said may be distorted or missing.

Point is, you can only believe a portion of what was said was put there in context or quoted accurately. Take it all with a grain of salt. And you can quote me on that.
Ken

#85768 - 05/04/04 10:45 AM Re: Female Sex Predator Heads to Men's Center
learning2remember Offline

Loc: Europe
Good point about quotes taken out of context. After I posted my criticism of her I realized how few words she was given in the piece.

I suppose if I wanted to be angry at the journalist, I would be told that limited space is the nature of the beast.

So, sorry if I judged your colleague, and an advocate of victims, too quickly.

And I may be reading more into the short article than what is there, but two undertones disturb me.

This female perpetrator is allowed to make a generalization about men and why they perpetrate--somehow suggesting that she is less dangerous than they are because they are more likely to do it again. (Because she assumes that they do it out of desire?)

Then the psychologist quote (without benefit of context) states that women who abuse are more likely to have been abused. Again far be it from me to defend any perpetrator, but if only women perpetrators are recognized as abused, then we are still keeping silent about the abuse men (even perpetrators) have endured.

So, I think three harmful myths were perpetrated by what the article said and did not say.

1) Male perpetrators abuse as an expression of their sexuality.

2) Men are more dangerous than women.

3) Men are not abused.

I can't remain an objective reader, though. I have been hurt by misunderstandings about the role of sex in abuse (Myth 1), the idea that men--not are more evil/dangerous than women (Myth 2), and the silence about prevalence of abuse against men and boys (Myth 3).

Again, I'm sure I'm reading between the lines. I should not have read the article, because many layers of it bother me. My dismay is about more than the woman and her acts, but about the reporting as well.

Gosh, maybe I'm wrong. I'm not trying to hurt anyone, nor am I trying to defend any perpetrators. I am just trying to sort through the many ways this article bothers me.

Thanks again for sticking up for Ruth Matthews

#85769 - 06/14/04 11:15 PM Re: Female Sex Predator Heads to Men's Center
RJD Offline

Loc: jefferson City, Mo,usa
I clicked on the site and it was gone..bob

#85770 - 06/16/04 04:12 PM Re: Female Sex Predator Heads to Men's Center
LadyTheo Offline

Loc: ky
same here, could someone re-post it if they still have it please? \:\)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.