Newest Members
baltimura, YotaD55, giant251, Casey_SC, Xr2
12375 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
josacam (51), PhillyPa (39), sum1sun (39), time2heal (40)
Who's Online
3 registered (bluesky, finallyhere, 1 invisible), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12375 Members
74 Forums
63593 Topics
444252 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#85750 - 04/22/04 05:37 PM It's happening to Lutherans, too.
Ivanhoe Offline
MaleSurvivor

Came across this article this afternoon. While it sickens me, I think that it's important to post. God help those boys, God help the church.

David

http://start.earthlink.net/newsarticle?cat=6&aid=D82420L87_story

#85751 - 04/23/04 10:30 AM Re: It's happening to Lutherans, too.
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
David it is a sick sick world we live in. Anywhere there is power and control over others it seems to happen. I am sure that the most affected by all this is God himself.

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

#85752 - 04/23/04 09:24 PM Re: It's happening to Lutherans, too.
The Dean Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
David, I am so often asked why it is that priests in large numbers molested mostly teenage boys. I think I have come up with several ideas about that. But what seems most likely to me is that men who lust for teen boys gravitate to ministry, coaching, teaching and youth groups like the Boy Scouts. The groups are not to blame for the members becoming molesters--they are for not protecting kids once they know about it though. Priests and ministers don't become teen boy molesters--they are such and look for a profession that give them the chance to be around lots and lots of boys. Rather, it seems to me that the perps go to those professions where they know they can get access to boys and have power to keep them silent and obedient. I get angry at myself these days that I was silent for so long--and that I did exactly as I was told, no matter how disgusting it was to me.

I also hate this article that talks about various victims "winning" x number of $$$$. I want to hear that they were courageous enough to report it, to expose the perps, and it would be great news to hear that they are doing as well as can be expected. We need more information that, we who are victims are not made mental invalids for life--we move on and have success--but, I guess that is not at all interesting to the papers readers.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Needed to get that out.

Bob

#85753 - 04/23/04 09:29 PM Re: It's happening to Lutherans, too.
Dale English Offline
Newsletter Founder/Producer
MaleSurvivor
Loc: PA
David,

Thank you for sharing this news with us. If nothing else, our hearts are united with another group of brothers that we have never met and yet know deeply.

Taz

#85754 - 04/27/04 08:52 PM Re: It's happening to Lutherans, too.
Ivanhoe Offline
MaleSurvivor

I just had to report this to you guys as I am a life long Lutheran and knew a guy who was interning...3rd year seminarian who works closely with a congregation for experience and supervision, before his fourth year and graduation. I met him just after I had gotten away from my 8th grade teacher, I was 17 or 18, by that time, and my antennae were out to hereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I picked up on some vibes from him and just stayed away. 20 years later he was asked about his abuse of boys in his former congregation...during his 12 years there!!!!!!!!!!!! He said that it was true and died two years later.
I'm not looking for vengence here, but like my partner, I can't figure out where the jail time is in all of this?
I appreciate your comments.

David

#85755 - 04/28/04 07:10 PM Re: It's happening to Lutherans, too.
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Bob's right, the abusers are pedophiles first and foremost. They are drawn like moths to a flame to situations where the chances of contact with children are the greatest.
I can remember the selection of misfits and perverts that passed for teachers at the boarding school I went to all to clearly.

The organizations, whatever they are, aren't to blame for the actual abuse - only in any subsequent cover ups and organizational errors that allowed it continue.

But only tonight I have spoken to someone who is amassing evidence of the way an organization has been used by pedo's.
Back in the 70's and 80's the local childrens homes around here were riddled with pedophile gangs. And they ranged from teachers, carers, domestic staff, drivers and some outside people.
There is clear evidence that the files that followed the children around from social services, the care homes and special schools etc were marked to identify 'available children'. Some were abused within hours of arriving at a completely new place, some even on the journey there.

These people plan their lives around creating opportunities to abuse.

When it's your organization, or religion, it's easy to feel soem of the guilt and shame yourself.
But David, it's not yours - it's the abusers.

Dave

#85756 - 04/28/04 10:54 PM Re: It's happening to Lutherans, too.
SAR Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I was just reading a thread on the Family and Friends forum about the way organizations will "cover up" and cling to their respectability however they can.

You're right, David, it is important for you to post this because the perps who are abusing these kids and the trust and authority granted to them by an entire community thrive under the expectation that people will ignore and downplay what they see as they try to stay "respectable."

Being vocal about these crimes and the appropriate punishments isn't vengeance. It's a message you're sending as a member of your community that you won't give these people a rock to hide under.

peace
SAR

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.