Newest Members
PaulnMA, andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm
12252 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
closerthenveins (26), Nvolpicelli (24), Sven (19)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 38 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
63113 Topics
441362 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#85736 - 03/27/04 11:15 PM Fentress again seeks release from mental facility
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Westchester, N.Y.
Friday, March 26, 2004

Fentress again seeks release from mental facility
By Larry Fisher-Hertz
Poughkeepsie Journal

Former Poughkeepsie school teacher Albert Fentress, who cannibalized and killed a teenager 25 years ago, is making another bid to be freed from a mental institution.

Fentress, 63, will seek his release from the Mid-Hudson Psychiatric Center in Orange County at a hearing April 5 before state Supreme Court Judge James Catterson in Riverhead, Suffolk County. Dutchess County District Attorney William Grady and state Attorney General Eliot Spitzer are opposing Fentress' application.

''Albert Fentress was and still is mentally ill and a danger to the community,'' Grady said Thursday. ''We will make every effort to ensure his continued confinement in a secure facility.''

Senior Assistant District Attorney Edward McLoughlin, who will represent Dutchess County at next month's hearing, said he was confident Fentress would remain confined.

''We will produce evidence that will substantially prove Mr. Fentress should remain in a secure facility because he is still mentally ill,'' McLoughlin said.

Fentress was a history teacher at Poughkeepsie Middle School when he lured Paul Masters, 18, into the basement of his City of Poughkeepsie home on Aug. 20, 1979. Fentress sexually mutilated Masters, ate some of the body parts and shot him.

Fentress has been in mental hospitals since 1980, when he was judged legally insane when he committed the crime.

Fentress lived for many years at Pilgrim Psychiatric Center in Suffolk County and had off-campus privileges at the unfenced facility. But in September 2002, two former Poughkeepsie residents testified Fentress had molested them when they were students at the middle school in spring and summer 1979 -- just before he killed Masters.

Moved to secure site

After hearing the men's testimony, Catterson ruled that since Fentress had never divulged those crimes to his therapists, he was dangerously mentally ill and belonged at a more secure facility. He was then moved to Mid-Hudson Psychiatric Center in Goshen.

Next month's hearing will mark the fourth time in the last seven years attorneys from Mental Hygiene Legal Services have sought court approval to have Fentress released. A jury voted in Fentress' favor in 1999, but an appellate court upheld the presiding judge's decision to overrule the jury's verdict, keeping Fentress confined.

Fentress' attorney, Kim Darrow, declined Thursday to comment on the upcoming hearing.

If Catterson rules against Fentress following the hearing, Fentress has the right to another jury trial.

#85737 - 03/28/04 03:32 AM Re: Fentress again seeks release from mental facility
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Flint, Michigan
Sorry about that Roland. I hope the other fellow comes up and helps keep him locked up.

Keep strong, keep well,
Bill

#85738 - 03/28/04 03:58 PM Re: Fentress again seeks release from mental facility
Ivanhoe Offline
MaleSurvivor

Know that we are here and we will support you anyway that we can.
Will you have to testify again at this hearing?
Peace, strength and courage as you deal with this shit, again.
David

#85739 - 03/28/04 07:09 PM Re: Fentress again seeks release from mental facility
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
Roland you know how I feel about this and I admire your courage. As stated above we are all with you in spirit.

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

#85740 - 04/03/04 03:36 PM Re: Fentress again seeks release from mental facility
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Westchester, N.Y.
I needed to make a decision today.

One of the things I do now and then is a Google search on my abuser to see if there is any updated news. Today when I did this, the third link down brought me directly here.

This frightened me a little because this means if anyone on Fentress' defense team investigates, they will know right away that I am Roland and see my survivor story and any other posts I've made. I had to decide whether or not to delete this post.

Then I realized that any other Fentress victims still out there who haven't yet gotten help probably do searches as well, and thus may end up here where anonymous help and support is available. I think that benefit is more important.

Therefore, if any of you visiting here came through Google, you should take a look around the place. This is a great site with the best advice and the most compassionate bunch of guys I've ever met. Read the posts, the articles, and make yourself at home.

If you are the victim of childhood sexual abuse, you are in the right place.

#85741 - 04/03/04 07:58 PM Re: Fentress again seeks release from mental facility
The Dean Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
You are being really courageous Roland. Thanks for thinking of others when it would be so easy to hide away.

I really cannot imagine that there is a team of mental health workers so enormously skilled that they could cure this man to the extent that he would be perfectly safe to be in free society. Does anyone do a mental health check on the mental health workers--they clearly have a problem or two with reality or grandiosity, IMHO.

Bob

#85742 - 04/03/04 08:13 PM Re: Fentress again seeks release from mental facility
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
Roland what a tremendous Post. You are your own man and it shows. Thank you for supporting ms.

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

#85743 - 04/04/04 05:39 PM Re: Fentress again seeks release from mental facility
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Roland
what a fearless and brave decision, many men would have run for cover and I'd have understood that. But you've chosen the way that makes you feel strong, the best way.

Thanks for showing so much courage.

Dave

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.