Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
corvairman1 (43), marianne (44), son (35), speedy (31)
Who's Online
7 registered (Jay Bee, Bill61, 5 invisible), 71 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62526 Topics
438162 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#85704 - 02/04/04 03:06 AM Charitable Immunity
JohnW Offline

Loc: Maryland
There are a handful of states, New Jersey and Mississippi are two of about seven, which have enacted laws which give civil immunity to charitable organizations for negligent and even criminal behavior.

It seems sort of hard to believe, but it’s true. A judge in New Jersey recently ruled that his hands were tied by the law. He was hearing a case in which a school hired a series of pedophiles (like more than a dozen pedophiles) over the course of decades and these men abused scores of kids. The judge ruled that, regardless of the facts, the school could not be held liable for any behavior “no matter how willful, wanton, reckless or even criminal…”

Finally, at least in New Jersey, state Senator Joe Vitale has introduced legislation to do away with immunity for charities when children are sexually abused.

But unbelievably, the Senator’s legislation is facing stiff opposition from senators heavily lobbied by special interest groups who are worried about “opening the floodgates of litigation.”

We need your help. I am hoping that readers of this forum will e-mail senators in New Jersey expressing their support for the change in New Jersey’s law.

You do not have to be a resident of New Jersey – we think that volumes of e-mail in favor of Senator Vitale’s legislation will help get the law changed.

Here are the e-mail addresses of senators on the Judiciary Committee.

sengill@njleg.org,senbaer@njleg.org,
senmartin@njleg.org,senscutari@njleg.org,
senadler@njleg.org,sensarlo@njleg.org,
senbsmith@njleg.org,senkyrillos@njleg.org,
sengirgenti@njleg.org,sencardinale@njleg.org

Please, help us change the law in New Jersey to bring the state into the 21st century. Please e-mail me if you would like more information or if you’d like the addresses so that you can e-mail the senators.

I am so hopeful that everyone who reads this forum will participate in this.

If anyone would like more information, my e-mail address is jwh@crosslink.com

Please see also a post in the general discussion forum titled "Thanks Mark Crawford and Richard Gartner". These two fine men testified at the New Jersey Senate Judiciary hearing on this legislation last week.

#85705 - 02/04/04 11:27 PM Re: Charitable Immunity
ScottyTodd Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Pennsylvania
Hey JohnW - I strongly support and encourage your work. I see first hand the devastation and deep traumatic results from sexual abuse everyday with kids I work with. To hold anyone blameless who destroys and rips apart young lives in this absolutely chosen course of action is criminal!!!! I shall send my opinions to those legislators and encourage others so inclined to join in.

Howard

#85706 - 02/05/04 03:20 AM Re: Charitable Immunity
The Dean Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
I sent an email to each of the Senators. It will be interesting to see it this passes or not. Wisconsin has a similar law and some men I kow about got off because of it.

We are working to change the law here--but we have niot gotten to the place NJ is.

Bob

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.