Newest Members
GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy
12465 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyrus (44), Dupe1978 (36), James_Is_Talking (36), K-man (58), LordShiningStarr (36), ricky (51), Shawn Hope (29), teresa (42), Warner82 (32)
Who's Online
3 registered (CheerfulJohn, 2 invisible), 11 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12465 Members
74 Forums
63998 Topics
446693 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#85672 - 12/26/03 08:11 PM I Found this one today
MrEdd Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Texas

#85673 - 12/27/03 08:36 PM Re: I Found this one today
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Edd
Once again the hand of respectability 'wanders' into the news.

How many guys here were actually the victims of the famed "dirty old man in a raincoat who leapt out of the bushes" ?

Dave

#85674 - 12/28/03 05:31 AM Re: I Found this one today
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Massachusetts
Edd and Dave,

No, it never ends. While we must assume innocent until proven otherwise, this is part of a very disturbing trend.

How many others like this are out there? How many have been hurt by people like this?

\:\( \:\(

Scot

fromacuriousmind.blogspot.com
malehurtandsurvive.blogspot.com

#85675 - 12/28/03 02:57 PM Re: I Found this one today
The Dean Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
Wherever there are pedophiles and ephebophils around, boys are going to be harmed.

I think that everey organization that is interested in children needs to come up with class lesson plans for all levels of education k--12. My boys know that they still have to be careful, because a freshman in high school was recently molested here and although no names are mentioned, it is a sobering thought for high school boys, especially those who dabble in pot and booze.

Bob

#85676 - 12/28/03 09:11 PM Re: I Found this one today
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Bob
there has been some work done, but with little success apparently. The last paragraph in this part of an article on "Sexual Abuse Recognition and Non-Disclosure Inventory" ( SARANDI ) says it all.

Dave.

Quote:
Give Children the Right --
and a Way to Speak Out

How many sexually victimized, traumatized, and fearful children are sitting silently through prevention programs? How do we help them?

Why do we provide anonymous sexual victimization surveys only for adults? If children are more vulnerable than adults, more afraid to speak out than adults, why do we not also give children the right and a way to express their needs without being inhibited by fear of identification? Do children not deserve the same opportunities to speak out?

Bagley (1992) administered anonymous questionnaires on stress to 14- through 16-year old adolescents in two western Canadian junior high schools. He posited that children and adolescents may be reluctant to report some experiences directly or through a questionnaire in which they have to identify themselves. Bagley contended that adolescents in school settings are willing to anonymously report various kinds of stress, including physical, emotional, and sexual abuse.

An instrument or procedure is needed that will allow young victims to anonymously provide us with current, targeted information on the frequency of undisclosed sexual abuse. In response to this need, unanswered questions, and the continuing problem of sexual abuse, this investigator devoted three years to the development and implementation of research to anonymously survey young adolescents (Faulkner, 1996).

Since no known school based method or instrument existed to efficiently and comprehensively survey students on sexual victimization, this research included the development of an instrument entitled Sexual Abuse Recognition and Non-Disclosure Inventory (SARANDI).

SARANDI:
Sexual Abuse Recognition and
Non-Disclosure Inventory

The SARANDI was developed for classroom surveys of young adolescents in the age range of 12 through 15. The research presentation and survey were written in terms that could be accepted by school administrators for use with young adolescents.

A brief "Body Safety" presentation and survey administration instructions were on an 11 minute video tape. Administration of the anonymous survey took less than 30 minutes.

Participants were assured anonymity with regard to their responses. Students could elect voluntarily to respond to the survey, or return the sealed response cards unanswered. At the conclusion of the survey, information on where to get help was provided and on-site counselors were available.

SARANDI
Goals and Results

Unlike retrospective studies of adults, this research attempted to assess the extent of current victimization in the community in which it was occurring. Objectives included assessment of the prevalence of undisclosed child sexual abuse proximate to time of victimization, not years later, so information could be provided to increase community awareness and for the enhanced development of targeted and timely preventive programs and interventions.

In this study, an attempt was made to assess the frequency of young adolescents who had been sexually abused but who had not disclosed, and to assess the frequency of young adolescents who were uncertain if they were victims.

The most outstanding result of the research was of those students who responded they had been sexually abused, 100% responded they had not disclosed the abuse to an adult. Additionally, six percent of the young adolescents in the study responded "I don't know" to the question of whether they had been sexually abused, confirming there are young adolescents who are uncertain about having been sexually abused.

It is also noteworthy that two administrations of the SARANDI with a one month interval did not generate any false reports of sexual victimization between administrations, or during the month following the second administration.

There were schools who declined participation in this study for fear of stimulating false reports of sexual abuse. For adults and schools officials who are afraid to open the "Pandora's Box" of sexual abuse, the results of this study gave no indication that surveys and questionnaires on sexual victimization administered to middle school students would produce false accusations of abuse.

Pandora's Box:
The Secrecy of Child Sexual Abuse

by Nancy Faulkner, Ph.D.

Sexual Counseling Digest, 10/96

It's a long and interesting article, and I haven't got the site addy here at the moment. Try a search for SARANDI, that's how I found it.

Dave

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.