Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueelectron9 (48), Grunty1967b (2014), highflight (42), jocks44 (54), kitm1 (47), Porrick (44)
Who's Online
1 registered (lapchinj), 21 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63413 Topics
443357 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#85615 - 11/23/03 04:57 PM Re: Politicans .....aarrggghhhhh
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Flint, Michigan
Dave, don't you think that 10%-17% of registered voters voting make up the best decission for the entire public. Of course the other 83%-90% are the first to complain. Our last election had a "good" turnout at 23%, yippee. Don't forget those that won't even register to vote. Darn shame.

Our jury pool used to be the registered voters. I personally knew serveral people that wouldn't register to vote, just to to keep from getting jury duty. They were big complainers about the politicans that were elected. It was a good thing when they took away the jury pool from registered voters and changed it to licensed drivers. I don't know anybody that won't drive, just to avoid jury duty.

My personal voting record is pretty good. Haven't missed a single election in over 4 years. Before that, I avoided school elections, as I didn't have children and felt it better left up to those that had children to make those decissions, even if they were voting to raise my property taxes. I was willing to pay more taxes if the parents felt it was needed for their children to get a better education. I now vote in those elections, as I am now a parent.

Of course more money doesn't mean more education. Just fancier perks and more pay for the board. Gee, don't they deserve it, they have so much more money that they need to disperse?

Bill

#85616 - 11/23/03 07:37 PM Re: Politicans .....aarrggghhhhh
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Bill
when I'm King and master of all I survey I'll decide who gets to vote ! \:D
There ARE people out there who haven't got the sense to get in out of the rain, let alone vote, - but it's a democracy.

It's those that don't do ANYTHING but complain and whine about EVERYTHING that piss me off.
And unfortunately this extends to actually choosing our politicians - how many of us actually know how the process works ? To most of us they "just appear" on a 'Vote For Me' poster as if by magic.

But I still maintain MY right to whine - like a true hypocrite !!!

Dave ;\)

#85617 - 11/24/03 09:30 AM Re: Politicans .....aarrggghhhhh
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
I understand that it is illegal in Australia not to vote. You get fined or something.

But if that came into play in North America (US and Canada) I suspect that a lot of lawyers would file goofy suits that it would infringe on peoples rights.

With all things said I think we get government that we deserve.

Every time we elect a majority government we get a dictatorship till the next election. Kind of flies in the face of democracy

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

#85618 - 11/24/03 06:25 PM Re: Politicans .....aarrggghhhhh
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
So what stops US from running for office then ?

Everyone's an armchair politician, but would we do the job ?

Not likely !

Dave

#85619 - 11/24/03 07:09 PM Re: Politicans .....aarrggghhhhh
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Flint, Michigan
Ahh, the MS:NOMSV party.

#85620 - 11/25/03 11:37 AM Re: Politicans .....aarrggghhhhh
PAS Offline

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Lloydy:
So what stops US from running for office then ?

Trust me, you wouldn't want the job. I used to work in government communications - just seeing a minister's schedule is enough to drive you insane let alone being the person who actually has to live that schedule. Keep in mind that a politician's life when in elected office is really not their own - they dont write ANY of the stuff they produce, they sometimes dont even have the time to authorize it. A politician is only as good as his or her staff!

#85621 - 11/25/03 12:31 PM Re: Politicans .....aarrggghhhhh
Wifey1 Offline

Hi Guize ~
Ok... call ME crazy :p But I actually was planning on running for an Alderman position in our city & eventually Mayor. Perhaps I am a glutton for punishment? However I still have wobbled more than once about getting into an elected position... the physical stress is just way too hard on the body for me right now. BUT I still do what I can to push Govt where possible. Just bringing issues & my views & others to the attention & yes being a complete HOUND about them does seem to impact the issues. Not ALWAYS exactly HOW I would like things done... none the less I feel better in doing so.
Once had a friend tell me that there are 3 subjects people should never discuss... sex, religion & politics. Hmmmm those are my FAVORITE subjects! \:D
Peace, Sammy

#85622 - 11/25/03 03:59 PM Re: Politicans .....aarrggghhhhh
PAS Offline

Loc: Canada
I dont think an alderman position would be quite as bad as federal or state/provincial politics!!! In fact, you might actually feel like you are getting something accomplished.. other levels of goverment are just so far away from the people.

#85623 - 12/04/03 08:11 PM Re: Politicans .....aarrggghhhhh
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Quote:
Children's minister Margaret Hodge is today expected to make a public apology to the abuse victim she branded "extremely disturbed".
She's just been on TV and had a good grilling, and the sight of her squirming and grovelling made my day.
Her resignation would make me orgasmic with joy however.

Dave

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.