Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
corvairman1 (43), marianne (44), son (35), speedy (31)
Who's Online
3 registered (Obi, 2 invisible), 70 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62521 Topics
438147 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#85605 - 11/17/03 08:30 PM Politicans .....aarrggghhhhh
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
MP'S APOLOGY EXPECTED
Children's minister Margaret Hodge is today expected to make a public apology to the abuse victim she branded "extremely disturbed".

Mrs Hodge has already written to Demetrious Panton saying sorry for the slur.

But Mr Panton says he will sue if she does not make a full public apology, pay his legal costs and make a donation to charity by this evening.

Mrs Hodge's solicitors have been dealing with the demands which a friend said were "on the face of it not unreasonable".

But Lord Hattersley suggested she had been "very foolish" and should feel too "humiliated" to remain a minister.

The Labour peer said: "She's not perhaps vulnerable in the short term, but she has to do a number of things which many individuals would regard as such a humiliation as to be too great to endure - or at least too great to endure in office - perhaps endure from the back benches, but too great to endure in office."

Mr Panton, now a government advisor, was abused in a care home in Islington, the north London area where Mrs Hodge later became council leader.

The minister's slur came in a letter of complaint to the BBC about an investigation into the way she handled abuse claims when they came to light that featured Mr Panton.

She has already written to him apologising and promising never to repeat the allegation.

But Mr Panton said: "As a politician it is not simply good enough to say sorry. They need to explain why they did something.

"If she can't provide a satisfactory explanation as to why she described me as an extremely disturbed person then I am left with no alternative but to think that she did so out of pure malice."
Last Updated: 12:37 UK, Monday November 17, 2003

This woman is a joke, the more I hear from her the worse she gets.
The Islington Care Home abuse scandal was one of the biggest cover ups ever seen.
The home was run by Islington Council, and guess who was in charge of the council at that time ?

No prizes.

Dave

#85606 - 11/17/03 08:36 PM Re: Politicans .....aarrggghhhhh
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
News just In.

Hodge public apology to abuse victim

Children's minister Margaret Hodge has agreed to make a public apology to the child abuse victim she labelled "extremely disturbed".

She will also pay his legal costs and make a 10,000 donation to his choice of charity, her parliamentary private secretary Michael Foster announced.

But she will not resign over the row, which erupted a week ago following the BBC's decision to read out a letter containing her remarks live on radio, Mr Foster said.

The whole package will be worth up to 20,000 to Mr Demetrious Panton, who had threatened to press ahead with his libel suit if Mrs Hodge did not follow her written apology of last Friday and promise not to repeat her comments with a full blown admission that she was wrong and charity payment, which will go to Nacro (National Association for the Care and Resettlement of Offenders).

The full statement from Mrs Hodge, issued tonight, said: "On Friday Mr Panton's solicitors requested the following three things. One, a public apology. Two, a donation to a charity of Mr Panton's choice. Three, payment of Mr Panton's legal costs.

"Solicitors for Mr Panton and myself have been in discussion today to work out the practical implications of those three requests.

"I can now confirm that we have agreed the following. One, a statement in court will be made shortly reiterating the apology made on 14 November.

"Two, I will make a donation of 10,000 to Nacro. Three, I have agreed to pay Mr Panton's legal costs."

Mr Foster said that the amount of the legal costs to be paid by Mrs Hodge had not been fully agreed yet.

It was certainly going to be more than 20,000 in total, he added.

17/11/2003 22:24

Resign !!!!

Dave

#85607 - 11/18/03 02:56 AM Re: Politicans .....aarrggghhhhh
Wifey1 Offline

Dave~
Yea I agree she should resign. Who could ever trust her again to be an advocate for ANY issue? On a side note for awhile I volunteered on a non profit housing board. The concept was great, however the actual board members were surprisingly & flabbergastingly totally unaware of very REAL issues facing low to moderate income folks. The "Executive Director" had been in place just prior to my volunteering, & I felt as if I knew him fairly well. Smart, funny, compassionate and had a genuine grasp on problems in this area & even better had very viable ideas on HOW to assist in obtaining homes. Ended up he stole monies from the non profit for his cocaine addiction. Not only was I taken aback @ finding out about his addiction, But was more appauled than ever @ these so called well meaning individuals responses how they simply focused on blame & not taking responsibility in their own actions that allowed for him to be able to do such a thing. They simply focused on him & his faults & how best to send him to jail. They ended up deciding it was best to NOT press the issue as it would blacken the public eye of this non profit. While this was true... HIS behavior was NOT the FIRST one to have stolen from this non profit. By the time I was excluded from the board membership the existing and original members STILL had not effeciently placed REAL procedures in place to ensure the safty of those hard earned monies. These members were irate & irrational in their comments behind closed doors. TWO faced as hell and an embarrassment for me to continue being associated with them.
In no way am I condoning what this past executive director did.. HOWEVER, I do thoroughly believe that other board members & political leaders must hold their cohorts accountable for what they say & do. In this case the other elected politico's can force her to resign.
I am not sure if she is voted in by the public but if she is her actions are exactly what makes many people NOT vote. In some cases she is exactly the reason many DO vote (to boot her out). Shitbag two faced people like her are just as criminal as other "criminals" in my view. More so because they hold the "public trust" in hand with their positions.
I say pressure her cohorts into excluding her! Her "victim" was kicked in the guts while already weakened & then tortured again by those he sought help from. What a BITCH!
Peace, Sammy
just my not so humble opinion!

#85608 - 11/18/03 08:14 PM Re: Politicans .....aarrggghhhhh
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Sammy
the Islington care home scandal was possibly one of the biggest care home abuse cover ups we've seen for many years here in the UK, and she was the council leader - the ultimate power of one of the biggest local councils in the country.

She has repeatedly said that because she wasn't informed, she had no responsibility - bollocks !
She was in charge, it was up to her to build a team around her that kept her informed. She failed on all counts.

Since then she's slagged everyone else off and threatened legal action in all directions.

Now she's Minister for Children !
My anger at blairs gov't is threatening to do me permanent harm - I feel alike exploding !
There's so much hypocrisy that I can't list it, Dianne Abbot, Eduaction ministy - preaching all about the evils of private school and telling everone to send their kids to state schools.
Where are her kids ? no prizes for guessing.

I think I'll start a revolution, next Wednesday good for anyone ?

Dave :rolleyes:

#85609 - 11/18/03 08:16 PM Re: Politicans .....aarrggghhhhh
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Quote:
Eduaction
There's nothing like a good education, and I had nothing like one !

Dave \:D

#85610 - 11/19/03 02:39 PM Re: Politicans .....aarrggghhhhh
PAS Offline

Loc: Canada
U crack me up, Lloydy!

Heehee also recalling your "Parrot bite" incident. Too funny.

\:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by Lloydy:
Quote:
Eduaction
There's nothing like a good education, and I had nothing like one !

Dave \:D

#85611 - 11/20/03 11:48 AM Re: Politicans .....aarrggghhhhh
Wifey1 Offline

Hey... my websters describes "eduaction" as
1. education issues that piss a person off enough to "act" on those issues. 2. the not so fine byproduct of a not so fine education

LMAO.... an "action" in itself!
Peace, Sammy

#85612 - 11/20/03 08:36 PM Re: Politicans .....aarrggghhhhh
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
"I used to get my wucking murds fuddled, but I'm ko now."

Dave

\:D

#85613 - 11/21/03 09:22 AM Re: Politicans .....aarrggghhhhh
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Massachusetts
Ya know, with morons like this in the government, no wonder people appreciate dictators. At least they don't disguise what kind of lying life-stealing murderers they are!

Scot

fromacuriousmind.blogspot.com
malehurtandsurvive.blogspot.com

#85614 - 11/22/03 08:15 PM Re: Politicans .....aarrggghhhhh
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Scot
the real scary part is the fact that WE vote the bastards into power, BUT - when you see that most political elections get way less than 50% turnout anyway you have to wonder what would happen if everyone voted.

Which part of our societies doesn't bother to vote ?
Those that don't know - or those that don't give a shit ?

Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.