Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cainrafael (28), GL (67), JohnP725 (66), Lloydy (61), Marie-TwoOfUs (35)
Who's Online
8 registered (Obi, genedebs, pufferfish, 3 invisible), 27 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63185 Topics
441816 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#85547 - 07/14/03 03:55 PM ANGER OVER ABUSE SENTANCES
Clapton Fan Offline

Loc: Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Found this on the BBC news website

ANGER OVER ABUSE SENTANCES

Two-year prison sentences handed out to a former monk and another man for abusing children in their care have been condemned by their victims.

Michael Murphy, 69, was known as Brother Benedict and was former housemaster at St Ninian's School, in Stirlingshire.

Murphy, whose address was given as Hill Brow, near Liss, in Hampshire, had been found guilty of 10 offences of physical abuse, including giving electric shocks.

James McKinstrey, 70, of Burnbank, Port of Mentieth, Stirling, who was a former night watchman, was convicted of four counts of sex abuse.

At the High Court in Edinburgh, the two men appeared for sentence and were told they would both serve two years in prison.

Former woodwork teacher Charles McKenna, 83, of Colquhoun Street, Stirling, was found guilty of two charges of indecent assault and one charge of indecency and will appear at the High Court in Forfar for sentencing on Tuesday.

The jail terms were greeted with derision by former pupils who attended the List D school for young boys with behavioural problems in the 1960s and 1970s.

One man said: "I am shocked at the sentences. Two years is diabolical."

A 52-year-old man said Murphy made pupils hold metal rods wired up to a generator.
He said: "I was electrocuted in the boot room. Brother Benedict saw that as some sort of kick.
Your punishment was to stand there while he turned these sort of dials. You were shaking. You could not let go."

During the trial, the court heard how 10-to-12-year-old pupils at the school were whipped, forced to eat their own vomit and were sexually abused in dormitories and the school's woodwork room.

A boy's arm was broken when Murphy lost his temper with him.

St Ninian's was run by monks from the de la Salle order, and closed in 1982. The order now faces claims for damages.

Lord Carloway, who heard pleas for leniency on behalf of the two men, said a jury found there was a breach of trust and prison sentences were inevitable.

Addressing Murphy, the judge added: "The methods which you employed to control those boys included extreme physical violence, forcing children to eat regurgitated food, striking with shoe laces and, perhaps most bizarrely of all, electrocution with some form of home-made generating device."

The judge is completely out of touch with reality I think and they wonder why there are reprisals

And all that was left was hope \:\)
Kirk

#85548 - 07/14/03 05:41 PM Re: ANGER OVER ABUSE SENTANCES
Ivanhoe Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey, Kirk,

Any chance that you can write a letter to the editor suggesting that the judge subject himself to the same treatment because there are some of us that think that he just doesn't get it?

Until it happens to one of his own will he know the extent of the pain and suffering--that is, if he can believe it.

Are the judges appointed or elected? How vulnerable are the judges to recall?

My heart goes out to the victims, and you in your pain for the injustice of it all.

David

#85549 - 07/15/03 06:43 PM Re: ANGER OVER ABUSE SENTANCES
Happy Birthday Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Kirk
that's another one for the files of "You couldn't make it up"

How are you doing anyway, long time no see ;\)

Dave

#85550 - 07/16/03 08:04 PM Re: ANGER OVER ABUSE SENTANCES
Happy Birthday Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
And how about this Judge ?

A New York judge, Anthony Aloi, jailed 68 year old John Jamelske for 18 years for holding five women in an underground bunker as sex slaves for five years.

Ok he'll be 86 if he lives that long, BUT surely five life sentences would be giving the impression that justice was being served ?

That's not even four years each !

Dave

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.