Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cja (49), crackerjack (55), nursemanda25 (33)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63403 Topics
443287 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#85542 - 06/24/03 12:53 PM Pressure Grows for UK to Ban Smacking Children
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Maryland USA
From Yahoo, under the "Oddly Enough" heading:

Pressure Grows for UK to Ban Smacking Children
Tue Jun 24, 7:37 AM ET

By Michelle Green

LONDON (Reuters) - The British government faced growing pressure Tuesday to ban the smacking of children after two parliamentary reports said existing laws could be used as a cover for abuse.

The reports called for an end to the "reasonable chastisement" defense which, they said, was often used in court to defend violence against children.

But the recommendations have been criticized by opposition politicians and parental rights groups as an "outrageous intrusion" into family life.

The reports come in the wake of the violent death of eight-year-old Victoria Climbie at the hands of her great aunt in February 2000.

The case sparked national outrage and led to a number of inquiries aimed at preventing such a tragedy.

David Hinchcliffe, chairman of the health select committee, which compiled one of the reports published Tuesday, said children would continue to suffer through abuse unless an outright ban on smacking was put in place.

"The reasonable chastisement defense has played a significant part in the inability of our child protection services to ensure that children's lives are saved," he told BBC radio.

About 80 children a year die from physical abuse in England, which in many cases started with little slaps aimed at discipline, he said.

"Sweden, which has outlawed smacking, has had no deaths at all over the last 10 years at the hands of parents or carers."

The second report, released Tuesday by the joint committee on human rights, said a government decision to allow smacking went against the United Nations convention on children's rights. But Robert Whelan, director of pressure group Family and Youth Concern, said banning smacking effectively "criminalized" parents. "I think it is grotesque the way in which the Victoria Climbie tragedy is being used to try to criminalize parents," he told the BBC.

"All parents understand the difference between a light smack, given as a means of discipline in the context of a loving and supportive relationship, and abuse."

His remarks were backed up by opposition health spokesman Dr Liam Fox who called it an "outrageous intrusion by the state into parents' legitimate rights and duties."

The spotlight should instead be focused on the failure of laws and institutions already in place, they said.

"There are already laws against abuse," Whelan said. "Victoria Climbie is just one in a long series of children who have died while they were supposedly under the protection of the official bodies."

#85543 - 06/24/03 12:56 PM Re: Pressure Grows for UK to Ban Smacking Children
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Maryland USA
Same story from BBC online:

Pressure grows over smacking law

Pressure is growing for the law on parents smacking their children to be tightened amid fears that abusers use current rules to excuse their actions.

Two parliamentary reports out on Tuesday call for an end to the defence of "reasonable chastisement" in England and Wales.

According to the health select committee and the joint committee on human rights, that legal defence has too often been used to excuse violence against children.

The human rights committee says the change should not mean parents were prosecuted for "mild" smacks on children.

In England alone, about 80 children die from physical abuse each year.

The government has decided not to change the law on smacking because it says most people support the status quo.

"The issue is not just about smacking, the issue is about affording children greater respect"
David Hinchliffe
Health select committee

Peers and MPs have criticised that decision which they say is incompatible with the United Nations convention on children's rights which the UK is a signatory.

They agree the ancient defence of reasonable chastisement allows some parents to go far beyond a loving smack.

David Hinchliffe, chairman of the Commons health select committee, described the torture and murder of eight-year-old Victoria Climbie as an escalation of discipline and punishment which had started with little slaps.

"Sweden, which has outlawed smacking, has had no deaths at all over the last 10 years at the hands of parents and carers," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

"The issue is not just about smacking, the issue is about affording children greater respect."

Unpopular

But the government is worried that changing the law would be an unpopular interference in family life.

Tony Blair's official spokesman said on Tuesday: "Our position is that it's a matter of individual choice for parents and the government believes that most parents accept and understand there is a difference between discipline and abuse.

"It is for the (child protection) agencies to decide how we can deal with cases where that line is crossed but we do not believe criminalising parents is the right way to go on this."

Last year the Scottish Executive was forced to abandon plans to outlaw smacking children under three which were rejected as unworkable.

Robert Whelan, director of the pressure group Family and Youth Concern, said it was "grotesque" that the Climbie case was being used to "try to criminalise parents".

"All parents understand the difference between a little smack given as a means of discipline in a loving and supportive relationship and abuse," he told Today.

He said the Climbie case was the result of the failure of child protection services to implement existing laws and there were no deaths in Sweden because social services were "more efficient" there.

And Conservative shadow health secretary Liam Fox said: "Outlawing smacking would be an outrageous intrusion by the state into parents' legitimate rights and duties.

"There's a whole world of difference between the form of discipline most parents use and the premeditated and persistent cruelty which has come to light in cases such as that of Victoria Climbie."

It was "preposterous and deeply insulting" to draw such parallels, argued Dr Fox.

NSPCC survey

Meanwhile a survey of 100 MPs by children's charity the NSPCC found support for a ban of some kind.

The survey done by Mori found a ban on hitting children - as recommended by the committees - could get through parliament if put to a free vote.

The survey found that a majority of Labour MPs (55%) surveyed would support a change in the law to protect children from assault - with only one in 17 Labour MPs strongly against.

NSPCC Head of Policy Liz Atkins said: "The view that hitting children is a safe and proper way of disciplining them no longer holds sway.

"Today's inquiry reports on child protection and children's rights should convince any 'neutral' or 'undecided' MPs that it is time to scrap the antiquated defence of reasonable chastisement."

Story from BBC NEWS

Published: 2003/06/24 10:51:19 GMT

© BBC MMIII

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.