Newest Members
BCtejas, JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman
12491 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mrwhiskers (25), SouthernLaw (41), TerryT (61)
Who's Online
1 registered (Laurie), 30 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12491 Members
74 Forums
64159 Topics
447737 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#85536 - 06/19/03 10:18 AM Way to Go, Canada...
Sleepy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Arizona, USA
Canada's Celebration of Marriage

The landmark ruling came down from the north with some of the simple delight of a June wedding announcement: "Same-sex couples are capable of forming long, lasting, loving and intimate relationships." In unanimously affirming the obvious, an Ontario appeals court opened the way for Canada to end the bar on marriage between partners of the same sex. Final approval of a milestone law striking down discrimination against gay couples is expected within months. But the northward flow by gay couples from the United States has already begun. Canada has no residency requirements for love-struck people intent on marriage, while Belgium and the Netherlands enacted tighter restrictions in pioneering legal gay unions.

When they head home after the vows and rice, the newlyweds will expect to be treated as legally married people here, as will gay Canadian couples visiting the United States. They should get that respect, both out of simple decency and because this nation has a long history of recognizing legal marriages performed across borders.

Unfortunately, the United States has a long way to go to match Canada's record of tolerance on this issue. In contrast to Canadian jurists, our Supreme Court is only now considering a ban on the antediluvian Texas law criminalizing intimate relations by homosexuals in the privacy of the home. And, far from liberalizing the law of the land as Canada is choosing to do, Congress responded to the gay-marriage issue in 1996 by hastily defining heterosexual union alone as the marriage standard for purposes of federal benefits in the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Right now Vermont recognizes civil unions, a step short of full marriage rights, with a handful of other states installing domestic partner protections. There are cases pending in Massachusetts and New Jersey that could lead to decisions ending marriage discrimination in those states. The American public is not yet as ready to accept marriages between same-sex partners as a natural part of the landscape as polls show Canadians are, but change will be unstoppable in time, whatever the pace proves to be. Canada's choice of a clean break with the past is a stirring moment. Gay couples have a place where they can legally be joined in matrimony, and life goes on, happily ever after or not.

"Mental health is a commitment to reality at all times."
--M. Scott Peck

#85537 - 06/19/03 12:57 PM Re: Way to Go, Canada...
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
You know Sleepy a lot has been said about what a new country we have become. I think an editorial today' Toront Star said it best: We are finally growing up. Even having less than 30gms of pot is a misdemeanor subject , at police discretion, with a fine only.

I personally think that their time had come. I mean why cannot my gay brothers enjoy the same things we do. If anyone says it is not matural then I say. Is it natural to be bigoted or did you learn that. Ah hell I just ignore assholes most of the time. As someone once said; "Dont get into a pissing contest with a skunk your will only get smelly yourself"

There is a retreat coming early next year and I hope to see many of my brothers gay and straight.
Sars is finally gone I hope, we have no mad cows and I dont think you have to worry about West Nile
Virus. And a plus: We dont have monkey pox.

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

#85538 - 06/19/03 11:13 PM Re: Way to Go, Canada...
Marc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Major kudos to Canada!!!

This does bring on a whole realm of protocols however...

#85539 - 06/20/03 02:02 PM Re: Way to Go, Canada...
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
The Federal Government has decided not to pursue overturing the Ontario Court Ruling and it will be included in the Laws of the Land.

I think it is a major step forward for us as a country. Just hope the bigots dont go on a rampage.

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

#85540 - 06/21/03 08:08 PM Re: Way to Go, Canada...
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Mike
can I mention that Canada is still a British Colony ?

No ? oh well - time to duck and run I guess ? ;\) \:D

But it's great news, and a similar thing has just been done here in the UK, I don't know the detail but I think it gives partners the same rights as spouses when it comes to pensions, life insurance and all the other important things.

But I think it's going to be a cold day in hell before the churches catch up.

Dave

PS. Mike, when I arrive in Canada next month I promise not to behave like a misionary :rolleyes:

#85541 - 06/23/03 04:02 PM Re: Way to Go, Canada...
Marc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Tucson, AZ
I wouldn't say that I'm entirely ashamed of my country, but I sure as hell wish we'd catch up!

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.