Newest Members
Jay1159, jon-jon, want more, pgh15217, Barracuda312
12343 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
GeneF48 (66), kun wang (32)
Who's Online
8 registered (Vedder32, bcl092, Obi, 3 invisible), 30 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12343 Members
74 Forums
63439 Topics
443465 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#85526 - 06/12/03 08:25 PM S.T.D.
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Wednesday June 11, 10:35 AM

Britain facing sexual disease crisis

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain is in the grip of a sexual health crisis with cases of diseases like syphilis and gonorrhoea soaring, a parliamentary committee says.

There are now more HIV patients in Britain than ever before, the Health Select Committee said in a report on Wednesday but it is much "older" sexually transmitted diseases that have exploded in recent years.

"I do not use the word lightly but during the course of this inquiry it has become plain that with sexual health we are looking at a public health crisis," said David Hinchliffe, chairman of the committee and a member of Prime Minister Tony Blair's ruling Labour Party.

The legislators said 10 percent of sexually active women are infected with chlamydia, syphilis rates have leapt by 500 percent in the last six years and incidences of gonorrhoea have doubled over the same period.

Rates of teenage pregnancy were the highest in Europe.

The committee said there were a number of underlying problems -- a failure of the state health service to recognise sexually transmitted diseases, other than HIV/AIDS, as a serious problem, a lack of political leadership over many years and a consequent lack of resources and strategy.

The report called for sex and relationship education to become part of the national curriculum in schools, and for the introduction of a set of health service guidelines in sexual health care.

The Health Protection Agency confirmed that trends in sexual health care were continuing to decline.

New diagnosis of chlamydia had increased 10 percent from 64,800 in 2000 to 71,125 in 2001, and in the same time period gonorrhoea increased by 7 percent from 21,131 to 22,697 and syphilis by 119 percent from 327 to 715.

Dr Kevin Fenton, head of the agency's HIV and sexually transmitted infections (STI) division, added in a statement: "The rise in HIV infections has also continued with 5,300 new HIV diagnoses reported so far for 2002. When all reports are received, this figure is expected to reach 6,600, which is a 26 percent increase on 2001.

"These rises have led to an increase in workload for genito-urinary medicine clinics up by 17 percent from 1996 to 2001. Delays in treatment can result in a risk of infection spreading to a wider group of sexual partners and exacerbating the problem."

The Royal College of Physicians said services were collapsing under the weight of demand. Clinics were having to close their doors half-an-hour after opening due to the large amount of people waiting to be seen.

Many patients were waiting 3-4 hours, causing so much frustration fights sometimes broke out.

#85527 - 06/14/03 12:45 PM Re: S.T.D.
Little_E Offline
Member & Volunteer
MaleSurvivor
Loc: London UK
The country is ran by self rightcuse Basters. These people have all ways been the same! Poilicts and leadership SUX!! What gives these people the right to tell us how to live our lives. What to do. Where to go. Ok I'v gone off on one. But if they think education in skools are going to do any good they are wrong! VERT WRONG!! They dont see the problems!! Then when they do they act like a monkey with a stick of Diamite suck up its ass. They look at the half ass ways of fixing a promble, WHAT EVER IS CHEAPEST!!! MONEY!! Wot The Fuck!!! WHY!! WHY!!! MONEY!! Dont they know the Cheapest option is not the best. Just like the most expenisve is not always quailty!! Sorry but school education is to OLD FASIONED!! Most of the stuff taugh is useless shit put to gether by some dinosaw who has been dead for over 100 years!! Its time to change. Wipe everything clean and start again. Change is for the best, But most people are so blind they cant see that!! They dont understand where we the youth are coming from. While the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Thouse that have been given the power dont know what to do with it. They are snoby and so far up there own asses they dont know if the sun is out or not. Promlems occor for a reason, and it seem to me the problems are always the same and finding different soultions to fix it after it has happened is not good enought, they need to go to the sorce and stump it out b4 it even starts. If they means spending money go for it, if that means getting our hands dirty and digging, do it. Stop all this sitting on the fence and take actiona and resoperbility b4 its to late again!!

I know this has nothing to do with Lloydy's post but felt it needed to be said.

Elliot.

DISTUBED VISIONS OF AN UNDERWORLD!!

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.