Newest Members
FredM88, Vermona, Jas52, oliviaavaxj, biboy24
12109 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
-Matt- (39), kevin1963 (51), Northwoods (61), rcb0973 (58), sportinrucks (29)
Who's Online
3 registered (pete1973, 2 invisible), 50 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12109 Members
73 Forums
62492 Topics
437998 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#85520 - 06/02/03 05:20 PM Anonymity to people accused of rape
Clapton Fan Offline

Loc: Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
From the BBC News website:

Peers have backed plans to give anonymity to people accused of rape and inflicted a defeat on the government.

In the course of a House of Lords debate the case of television presenter Matthew Kelly was raised.

He was questioned over child sex abuse offences but following a police investigation it was found there was no case for the entertainer to answer.

But Mr Kelly had come under intense media scrutiny as the complaint was investigated.
Monday's vote came after peers had been debating the government's far-reaching attempt to reform sexual offences legislation.

They voted by 109 to 105 in favour of allowing people accused of rape to keep their anonymity.
Under current laws the complainant is entitled to anonymity but it has been possible to name the accused since 1988.

'Great distress'

The Home Office said the government would seek to overturn the Lords defeat which, a spokesman pointed out, was only by four votes.

"We appreciate the very great distress that is often experienced by those wrongly accused or charged with a sexual offence after having been publicly identified," said the spokesman.

"However the criminal justice system operates on a principle of openness which is a vital ingredient in maintaining public confidence and encouraging witnesses to come forward.

"We do not believe there is any justification for those charged with sexual offences to be singled out for special protection while other defendants including those accused of murder could be identified."

In the Lords, Home Office Minister Lord Falconer said that granting anonymity to people accused of rape would put off some women from approaching the police with their complaint.
But former lord justice of appeal Lord Ackner insisted it was right that defendants should be given the same right to anonymity as complainants.

He cited the case of a GP who was arrested in front of his family but subsequently had all charges against him dropped.

The lack of anonymity could be extremely damaging to a man's reputation, said Lord Ackner.

And all that was left was hope \:\)

Kirk

#85521 - 06/03/03 01:28 PM Re: Anonymity to people accused of rape
KleinerSpatz Offline

Loc: BRD
Just what we need, more silence....

But I suppose there is some truth in it. A person wrongly accused would have no life left, and become a victim too. A victim of societies ignorance.

difficult question, innocent until proven guilty in a court of law? Not the mob out on the street. If some of them had their way, we would still be burning people at the stake.

a quote from your posting:

In the Lords, Home Office Minister Lord Falconer said that granting anonymity to people accused of rape would put off some women from approaching the police with their complaint.
But former lord justice of appeal Lord Ackner insisted it was right that defendants should be given the same right to anonymity as complainants.

just WOMEN huh?

What is this? A joke? people so ignorant of the real world should be banned from public service.

sorry, I am pissed off again,

Erich

#85522 - 06/03/03 05:18 PM Re: Anonymity to people accused of rape
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
is this one of the most difficult questions relating to the whole area of rape, abuse and getting justice done ?

I think it is, and it's something I'm glad I don't have to decide.

Dave

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.