Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueturtle (46), David C (40), DavidC (40), Derdlecar (61), Hector (54)
Who's Online
3 registered (jq19712, md4e, 1 invisible), 11 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63366 Topics
443082 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#85267 - 05/03/03 09:00 PM Speechless in 'Frisco.
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Saturday May 3, 09:15 PM

San Francisco hosts "Masturbate-a-Thon"

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - More than 100 men and women have gathered in famously liberal San Francisco this weekend for what organisers said was the city's second annual public "Masturbate-a-Thon".

Organisers said they have taken the event "from the sheets to the streets", offering volunteers -- 18 years or older -- the opportunity to overcome their inhibitions in "a safe environment" and raise money for charity.

Horace Santry, 55, said the Friday night event was his first. "I have a lot of anxiety, but doing this among a group of like-minded people does make it easier," he said.

Men and women ranging in age from the early 20s to the 50s, mingled at a local performing arts centre in San Francisco's South of Market district, known for artists, galleries and nightclubs, before getting down to business.

To the strains of soothing new-age music, the men and women -- a number of them couples -- were shown into rooms for men, women or both.

"This is an effort to counter centuries of censure, to make masturbation more fun and to make it more accessible," said Thomas W. Laqueur, a professor of history at the University of California at Berkeley and author of the recent "Solitary Sex: A Cultural History of Masturbation," in a telephone interview before the event.

The event is a fund-raiser for the local Centre for Sex and Culture, a non-profit organisation that provides sex education.

San Francisco Masturbate-a-Thons have raised more than $25,000 (15,000 pounds) over the past five years, said Centre co-founder Robert Lawrence.

The event has inspired others in several U.S. states and countries, from Alaska to Germany, in which participants raise money in the privacy of their homes.

What can I say...................

er.......altogether now - 1-2-3-

Dave ;\)

#85268 - 05/03/03 11:26 PM Re: Speechless in 'Frisco.
Sick Puppy Offline

Loc: Nowhere Land
Well.

I suppose that's not one of those fundraisers that people participate in begrudgingly.

But for now we are young
Let us lay in the sun
And count every beautiful thing we can see

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

#85269 - 05/04/03 12:34 AM Re: Speechless in 'Frisco.
Sleepy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Arizona, USA
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Although I am laughing right now.

Okay, 1,2,3...
Mike

"Mental health is a commitment to reality at all times."
--M. Scott Peck

#85270 - 05/04/03 12:42 AM Re: Speechless in 'Frisco.
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
If I didn't laff I would cry. So I'll laugh.

\:D \:D \:D

Victor

#85271 - 05/04/03 06:13 AM Re: Speechless in 'Frisco.
Marc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Dare I say it? Toto, I don't think I'm in Kansas anymore! \:D

Incidently, please send all pledges care of me!

#85272 - 05/04/03 02:38 PM Re: Speechless in 'Frisco.
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Perhaps we should be sponsored ? you know - so much per wank and extra for coming quickly ?

Maybe not....

Dave :rolleyes:

#85273 - 05/04/03 03:00 PM Re: Speechless in 'Frisco.
guy43 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
What a way to raise money. I wonder what the sponsor criteria are? I mean, before I'd donate I'd have to know my sponsee did his/her job correctly(?)... ;\)

As Lawrence Welk used to say "and ah oneah, and ah twoah, and...

How does one get to San Francisco? Practice, practice... Marc, can I be your money manager?

No, wait, I'm a patriotic jerkoff! Nancy said "Just say NO".

News Update -
New Bush Administration Economic Growth Plan announced in San Francisco. To offset the recent Tax Cut legislation, a new tax is being levied on masturbation. It's thought that this new tax will have a trickle down (your leg) effect.

jer

#85274 - 05/04/03 11:09 PM Re: Speechless in 'Frisco.
Marc Offline
MaleSurvivor

By the way, for those of you who want to learn more...

Masturbate - A - Thon

They even have a pledge sheet! :p

#85275 - 05/05/03 09:27 PM Re: Speechless in 'Frisco.
Marc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Here's a little follow-up note:

Spoke with a friend of mine very connected to the sexuality community here in SF. The M-A-T is not as kinky or kooky as it sounds. Keep in mind that this is a pretty sex-positive community. From what my friend says, a big schmooze party was held Friday nite in an art house in the SOMA area of SF. Hors d'eorves, drinks... you know the scene. Anyhow, what is done is you go to other friends who are SP (Sex positive), and ask them to pledge .01, a dollar whatever. it's like a regular walk-a-thon. These people actually just do it in their own home. Honestly, how many people do you know (esp us guys, compulsive or not) that can whack more than a few times. I don't think your friends who put down $10.00 per wank are going to believe that you did it 30 times in a day :p

Also I believe that it benefits rape victims, etc...!

And as puppy put it, "Well.

I suppose that's not one of those fundraisers that people participate in begrudgingly." \:D

#85276 - 05/06/03 08:45 AM Re: Speechless in 'Frisco.
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Marc
I hoped there was a good rewason behind it, suspected that the press made the most of it as well.

I've been lucky enough to have been to 'Frisco twice and had some experience of it's laid back sexual attitude.
We were sat at a waterfront cafe one afternoon when we heard a very strange rumble coming towards us.
It was a Gay and Lesbian 'Rollerthon' - and hundreds, maybe over a thousand, people came cruising past on skates. But the best part was that they were dressed for the occasion in bondage gear, the TV's were all glammed up, Village people lookalikes - the whole works came skating past. An extraordinary sight I must say, the tourists were open mouthed in amazement and the locals just cursed because it was holding traffic up.

It's a remarkable city, and for all it's Gay culture I have no problem with the place - even with my acting out problems.
I just love it.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.