Newest Members
tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom, JohnWC, KKumar
12423 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dphoenix1701 (37), jaywiz2009 (69), mato (57)
Who's Online
3 registered (3 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12423 Members
74 Forums
63803 Topics
445532 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#85204 - 03/30/03 03:57 PM Let us prey????? (AZ editorial)
orodo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Imladris, The Safe Haven of Ar...
Let us prey; teacher sex scandals to top priests'
Mar. 29, 2003 12:00 AM

Hardly a day goes by that we don't read about another reported incident of sexual misconduct or sexual abuse by teachers, coaches and others in our school systems.

Equally disturbing are the alleged accounts of superintendents, principals and school boards attempting to cover up such incidents, preferring to deal with them as "internal matters."

My dire prediction is that sexual abuse scandals in our public schools will soon replace the Catholic Church as front page news.

As a management consultant, I have been studying organizational behavior for over 30 years.

I can tell you that there are strong parallels between the institutional characteristics of education and organized religion, all of which suggest that we had better become extremely vigilant about monitoring student-teacher relationships and what school administrators are doing to protect the well-being of our children.

Among the institutional characteristics that education and organized religion have in common are the following:

• A circle the wagons mentality that is designed to keep "outsiders" at a distance and in the dark.

• A policy that sexual abuse by teachers/priests is an internal matter and is not subject to laws that apply to the rest of society; i.e., education's equivalent to canon law.

• A strategy to deny, or at least delay, access to public records and claim that all internal communication is privileged. Administrators do not want (what they consider to be) private affairs of the institution to see the light of day.

• Conscious decisions to protect the institution at all cost, even though those decisions may put children last in terms of priority and, more importantly, in harms way.

• The sheer arrogance repeatedly demonstrated by the bureaucratic hierarchy that they are best equipped to take care of all matters that, by their definition, fall within their domain.

• A long history of not being able or willing to change/reform from within and to vigorously resist recommended changes from outside the institution.

Sadly, the growing body of evidence suggests that it is naοve these days to assume that all teachers and school administrators have the best interests of our children in mind when making decisions, particularly if those decisions are intended to protect themselves and/or the reputation of the institution.

We must insist that the educational bureaucracy obeys state laws that are designed to protect our children and to prosecute offenders to the letter of the law.

Sexual misconduct and sexual abuse are not internal matters. - William E. Reef
Tempe

It is better to be Dragon Master than Dragon Slayer. Some Dragons are meant to be mastered, others meant to be slain. Odin, Great Spirit, God, grant me the wisdom to know the difference. "May the Valar guide and bless you on your path under the sky"

#85205 - 03/30/03 07:34 PM Re: Let us prey????? (AZ editorial)
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
What would be nice would be if the media in general would quit just going after the big stories and the "fad of the moment" concerning SA, as tho this was some kind of damned fashion show or something!

I want all perps--what they've done, how they're going down & out, and how we survivors are overcoming them--to be front page news. Not just priests/ministers. Not just teachers/educators. Not just anybody except just perps!

Attention needs to be focused in all institutions & areas of society. When one group like the church
/ministers gets the lion's share of the attention then others are not getting any or enuf and thus they are out prowling & preying like lions!

What rarely hits the national news unless it's a very sensational "newsworthy" case is SA of children by family members, which it just so happens is where the majority of SA comes from.

But that too can change.

Victor

#85206 - 03/31/03 10:52 AM Re: Let us prey????? (AZ editorial)
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
Guys: Unfortunately media of all types live and die by their ad revenue. They are all after the big story or the most lurid or the most horrific (I hate that word)one that will attract the attention of the public. As you know the American Canadian societies are into instant gratification of whatever. Right away right now. Additionally their attention span is quite limited. An example is the Iraqi War. People are now becoming tired of it coming into their living room daily, and in the case of CNN all the time.
In effect the story goes out with the fish heads in the garbage.

What is of far greater concern, I think is the absolutely ludicrous manner with which the courts deal with our issue. I mean they are all over the map depending on the jurisdiction and the judges who here the cases. As well most jurisdictions have different laws. In this area I am glad to see the work Muldonn is doing.

I would suggest that the greatest way to get recognition is to mass protest, stage demonstrations and become a serious lobby group to all levels of government. Our focus should be on SA and the damage that it does. I mean our bodies are wounded within and/or destroyed by the SA mostly by self infliction. I think that we need a CANAM or AMCAN movement that actually puts this issue in everyone's face and will not go away until real justice is served. If there are dues for it I would gladly pay. All the GD perps out there would run like hell if we were truly organized and would not let this issue die.

I think to depend on the media is a lost cause. Our problems do not sell a lot of advertising. I mean it makes most people who are neither perps or sa survivors really uncomfortable. This is truly sad because it is the children who continue to suffer from benign neglect.

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

#85207 - 03/31/03 03:27 PM Re: Let us prey????? (AZ editorial)
Sleepy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Arizona, USA
I don't really have anything of relevance to add to this topic other than the fact that a good friend of mine works for the Kyrene School District in Tempe, AZ where these incidents of SA occured. Interestingly there were, I belive, a couple instances of SA that surfaced within the same school district at the same time. I guess when one comes forward it makes it easier for others to as well. According to my friend, the superintendent who made this statement is an incredibly well liked man and the manner in which he handled it put the community at ease. I lived in Tempe while in college (I'll be moving back there next month) and, as a college town, it tends to be a little more prgressive. I suppose they're more willing to take a risk and confront the situation head on.
That's all I got to add.
mike

"Mental health is a commitment to reality at all times."
--M. Scott Peck

#85208 - 03/31/03 07:19 PM Re: Let us prey????? (AZ editorial)
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Orodo
What can I add to that ? nothing.......

It's EXACTLY what happened to me at a crummy little English boarding school.
My rape by a gang of 5 or 6 older boys was known to the headmaster - I told him - and he did everything you listed and even punished me, caned me, for lying.

The really sad thing is that it was 1964 when that happened and nothing seems to have improved a great deal, institutions where kids of both sexes are contained are still run this way.

Time, or even international borders, has had little effect on the mentality that strives to protect the institutions at the expense of those entrusted into their care.

My view is that campaigns aimed at the kids are more likely to work, we have to let them know that SOMEONE WILL BELIEVE THEM.

In this country we have Childline, amongst other services, which was started by Esther Rantzen a TV personality many years ago as a short term thing, but due to the demand is still very much alive.
They give a free confidential phone service, advice and help to any kid in need.
Sadly they are nearly overwhelmed with calls about abuse, bullying, families falling apart, drugs and alcohol.
But at least they are calling for help, something we either had no chance of doing because there was nothing in place, or we were too scared and held back by our lack of knowledge of what might be possible.

Mike is also right, the press feed the sensational stories to us because sensation sells.
When George Michael gets caught acting out it's a sensation, if I was caught it would make page 13 of the local rag. But the cause and effects are the same for all of us.
Sadly it takes the horrific murders of kids or celebrity involvement to keep the subject on the front pages.

Dave

#85209 - 04/01/03 09:27 AM Re: Let us prey????? (AZ editorial)
Wuamei Offline

Maybe a continuous flow of massive protests, marches, phone calls, emails, letters, etc etc would make our cause a bit more newsworthy!

We need to do everything we can to get people to listen, then hopefully to understand, sympathize & take action with & for us. In other words, get "them" to in a sense become "us."

What I think is also vital is that we get "us" to become "them."

What I mean is we need more and more people who are survivors to become the judges, attorneys, lawmakers, news reporters & producers, movie & TV actors & producers, musicians, etc. We need to become the people who are and must be listened to,
who can influence things in places now controlled
primarily by people who don't want to hear it or people who don't want to do anything about it.

Critical to this of course is that we do all we can to foster a social environment in which more victims are en-couraged & empowered to come forward & expose their perps much earlier in life.

We need to help children, adolescents & young adults put the odds in their favor that they won't bury their SA and let things pile up for years. That they will be strong & healthy enuf to go to schools & to training to be attorneys, lawmakers, reporters, etc. Armed with the knowledge that they are survivors, and with the commitment to advocate for survivors in their various fields of labor.

Also we need to remember it's not too late for any of us "old farts" ;\) either.

Look at Dave training to be a counselor--and he's really old! :p

Some of us have already been trained for & are working in areas of public service, sometimes with SA victims & survivors. Me, I was doing this well before I knew I was a survivor myself. And I'm just a little bit old myself!

It seems we survivors are often instinctively drawn to this kind of work, tho often unknowingly or often being driven away from it by many things.

Also remember true survivor advocates are needed everywhere thruout society.

You are needed!

This has been your WVIC editorial of the day! \:D

Victor

#85210 - 04/01/03 07:17 PM Re: Let us prey????? (AZ editorial)
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Victor

Quote:
Look at Dave training to be a counselor--and he's really old!
Hey, I've just passed the first year certificate as well, not bad for 49years and 9 months. 50 is just sooooo far away ! :rolleyes: \:D \:\(

Dave

#85211 - 04/01/03 11:53 PM Re: Let us prey????? (AZ editorial)
Wuamei Offline

Dave,

Hey I'm proud of you bro that's great. You're going to do a lot of your fellow survivors a lot of good--as if you hadn't already!

The way I figure it you're only as old as you think you are! \:\)

Besides you can't possibly be old. I'm only a few years behind you and I'm very young! \:D

WTG bro!

Victor

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.