Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alan Fountain (52), blindpet (31), egoror (49), Midas (33), uwa (78)
Who's Online
2 registered (hike1972, 1 invisible), 31 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63646 Topics
444504 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#85196 - 03/26/03 07:53 PM Many reasons to discuss late priests' sins
orodo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Imladris, The Safe Haven of Ar...
Many reasons to discuss late priests' sins

Tuesday, March 25, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many reasons to discuss late priests' sins

by JOANNE WRIGHT
770 Lowell St.

As a person who experienced clergy sexual abuse as a young child, I would like to respond to Monsignor James Barta's question, "What good does it do to talk about the sins of priests who are dead?" (March 7).

A direct answer: It puts a public name on the terrors I fight weekly in church settings. It demystifies those terrors and lets them be assigned to one man rather than a generic group of men "ordained by God." I no longer have to first struggle through a fog of negative emotions about myself, other people and the world, but am able to feel safe and to see clearly the goodness in people who are not this man or those who knew of and condoned his actions.

It tells me in the deepest part of my being that he was wrong in what he did and that society as a whole will not tolerate it. Rather than feeling cast out by a society that embraces this man, it welcomes me back.

It tells me I was not singled out because of some flaw in me. It tells me this man also injured others in the same way and that they also bear the scars and continue the same struggle. It tells me that my life matters as much as that of the person who did this.

Finally, and perhaps what I find most important, it allows me to release all of this. I need no longer carry the memories in solitary isolation inside myself. They are now a matter of public record and can be seen by anybody. The memories may now reside in the past.

This is what good it does to talk about the sins of priests who are dead.

Copyright 2003 Telegraph Herald
Next Story
Return to the Opinion section index

It is better to be Dragon Master than Dragon Slayer. Some Dragons are meant to be mastered, others meant to be slain. Odin, Great Spirit, God, grant me the wisdom to know the difference. "May the Valar guide and bless you on your path under the sky"

#85197 - 03/26/03 10:42 PM Re: Many reasons to discuss late priests' sins
The Dean Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
Thanks for this Orodo. She has lots of excellent points.

When the perverts are exposed, the rest of us who are decent men and priests are seen for who we are and not as a part of these wretches.

Bob

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.