Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
fakir (71), HelpMeHelpHim32 (41), motherstars (65)
Who's Online
4 registered (pittsburgh, traveler, Logan, 1 invisible), 30 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12502 Members
74 Forums
64191 Topics
447936 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#85189 - 03/26/03 07:49 PM Priest Gets 4 Months In Sex Abuse of Girl, 12
orodo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Imladris, The Safe Haven of Ar...
Priest Gets 4 Months In Sex Abuse of Girl, 12

March 26, 2003

A visiting priest from India was sentenced to 4 months in jail yesterday for molesting a Brooklyn girl during a 1999 sick call to her grandmother.

The Rev. Francis Nelson, 39, is the only priest convicted in the city in the Roman Catholic Church's sex abuse scandal. His case provided a graphic example of how the church transferred sex abusers from one diocese to another.

The Diocese of Brooklyn banished the visiting Nelson just after the abuse. But instead of returning to his native India, Nelson found employment in the Archdiocese of New York, where officials said that neither India nor Brooklyn church officials warned them about Nelson. At the time of his arrest, Nelson was working at a Harlem church.

Testimony during Nelson's February trial also indicated that the Diocese of Brooklyn misled authorities about Nelson's whereabouts last year, when the church released its files on abusive priests to local prosecutors.

Most of those alleged abuse incidents were too old to prosecute.

Nelson denied molesting the girl during his trial, but the victim testified that, while her ailing grandmother sat nearby in a wheelchair, the priest pulled her into his lap and pushed his genitals into her buttocks.

The Carroll Gardens girl, who was 12 at the time of the abuse, broke into tears on the stand as she also described how Nelson forced his hand under her bra.

Nelson was convicted of both sexual abuse and endangering the welfare of a minor, both misdemeanors.

In statements yesterday, both District Attorney Charles J. Hynes and Diocesan spokesman Frank DeRosa said they hoped the sentencing brought closure.

"We're eager now to see the wounds begin to heal," DeRosa said.
Copyright 2003, Newsday, Inc.

It is better to be Dragon Master than Dragon Slayer. Some Dragons are meant to be mastered, others meant to be slain. Odin, Great Spirit, God, grant me the wisdom to know the difference. "May the Valar guide and bless you on your path under the sky"

#85190 - 03/26/03 10:40 PM Re: Priest Gets 4 Months In Sex Abuse of Girl, 12
The Dean Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
Four months--that sure will help the healing begin. He got away with it! What a pervert man, or whatever he is. No offense to us who are men. He is certainly not a man, some new kind of creature I guess.

This is so unjust. Why do they ask little kids to testify on the stand when she or he can be in another room with her parents and talk on CCTV. There is so little sensitivity to childrens feelings. YIKES!

Bob

#85191 - 03/26/03 11:01 PM Re: Priest Gets 4 Months In Sex Abuse of Girl, 12
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
Four months! That's not a punishment for the perp, that's a slap in the face of the victim! And all who have been sexually abused!

I hope he gets a good taste of hell in that 4 months. And I hope this poor young lady can find a way to survive & thrive in spite of the abuse of this "priest" and the "legal" system.

Victor

#85192 - 03/27/03 08:33 AM Re: Priest Gets 4 Months In Sex Abuse of Girl, 12
Mark Crawford Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
The sexual abuse of a 12 year old girl is only a misdemeanor! Another example of screwed up laws.

I hope we have all been following Muldoon's threads regarding his activism in Minnesota. I agree with him that we must start a concerted effort in educating our law makers in this country to the real effects of SA.

Four months is offensive and wrong...she will now be dealing with this victimization for the rest of her life...and he gets 4 months.

We MUST work together to change these laws!

Mark

#85193 - 03/27/03 10:10 AM Re: Priest Gets 4 Months In Sex Abuse of Girl, 12
Wuamei Offline

Amen to that Sparky! I like your "spark!" That's the kind of things that gets fires lit under apathetic arses, and motivates & encourages those who really give a damn about survivors.

For sure I'm no legal expert, but it seems to me that it's money that talks.

This priest getting 4 lousy months for sexually abusing a 12 year old girl is not unusual. It is more like the norm for such sexual offenses, as well as for many crimes of violence.

But who has ever heard of someone getting 4 months
for forgery of checks or financial documents, counterfeiting money, or embezzeling even small amounts of money?

I haven't. In fact, for most such financial offenses, 4 years would be generous.

Yes it's offensive, but it seems evident to me that even in our legal system money does the talking. Money is more important than people. Especially sexually abused people, whom the system
seems to think can just get over it.

Yeah right! :rolleyes:

So maybe we survivors & advocates need to talk money to the powers that be.

How much money is spent on the multitudes of survivors of SA & other abuses, & traumas, and the many physical & psychological diseases & disorders that stem from these traumas? How much of this comes out of the taxes people pay? How many lost work hours and paid taxes are there, and how much is that costing everybody?

Brothers, you know I'm not saying we survivors do not need & should not have these resources & helps available to us, nor that we may need some time off work. Heck I'm parttime on disability leave right now myself (no this doesn't come out of taxes in my case, but that's only part of the whole point here).

But maybe we can get the powers that be to see the money signs, and realize that it would be profitable to punish perps more severely and keep them off the streets where they could abuse again.

Maybe they could understand that this could mean fewer people abused becuz fewer people are out there abusing. Plus, some who might have perpetrated might think better of it when they see that sexual offenders will be dealt with severely. In addition, when potential victims see the law means business against perps, they might be encouraged to speak out & stop the abuse even before it starts. All of which again means financial profit.

I'd like to think we can just appeal to the humanity & common decency of the powers that be, and no doubt to some extent we can & must. We must speak out more, make them hear our hurt.

Still, for many it will be money that talks the loudest.

Hey whatever makes them listen, and take action!

Victor

#85194 - 03/27/03 11:13 PM Re: Priest Gets 4 Months In Sex Abuse of Girl, 12
orodo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Imladris, The Safe Haven of Ar...
We need to take back the power. At the polls, in the courts, the legislature, GODDAMIT THE POLICE DEPARTMENT, Departments of Human Services, The Child Abuse and Neglect Councils, Male Survivor, etc...they want to turn and look the other way? Out with the old, in with the new. This little girl will grow up some day, she will choose someone's nursing home...shit she could be elected to Congress, or be the first female president...the children are our future, male and female. To see them victimized, re-victimized, and then to see alledgedly responsible Courts, Churches, etc just call this a misdemeanor? Fries my ass...It doesn't matter if it was "touchy feely" or "pen" it is all SEXUAL ABUSE OF A MINOR. It is morally wrong, ultimate judgement will come some day. In the interim, I believe I have the power to make (and, yes, use) what happened to me have a positive impact on the lives of ALL children. Because...I am...we are...

Invincible

This bloody road remains a mystery
This sudden darkness fills the air
What are we waiting for?
Won't anybody help us?
What are we waiting for?
We can't afford to be innocent
Stand up and face the enemy
It's a do or die situation
We will be Invincible

This shattered dream you cannot justify
We're gonna scream until we're satisified
What are we running for?
We've got the right to be angry
What are we running for?
When there's no where we can run to anymore

We will be Invincible
And with the power of conviction
There is no sacrifice
We will be Invincible

Won't anybody help us?
What are we running for?
When there's no where, no where we can run to anymore

We will be Invincible
And with the power of conviction
There is no sacrifice
We will be Invincible

(By Pat Benatar, of course)

Be strong stay STrong

Peace

Orodo

It is better to be Dragon Master than Dragon Slayer. Some Dragons are meant to be mastered, others meant to be slain. Odin, Great Spirit, God, grant me the wisdom to know the difference. "May the Valar guide and bless you on your path under the sky"

#85195 - 03/28/03 04:10 PM Re: Priest Gets 4 Months In Sex Abuse of Girl, 12
Wuamei Offline

Today I heard on the radio driving to water aerobics that someone here in NC just got six months for animal abuse after the case against him for dogfighting was dropped for lack of evidence.

Now I like animals and think people should take care of animals & not mistreat them.

But what we have here is 6 months for abusing dogs
(in what way wasn't stated) and 4 months for sexually abusing a little girl.

What's wrong with that picture?!

Nevertheless I Amen what Orodo says about taking back the power. By dammit we are not pushovers or doormats; we are survivors!

We are invincible!

BTW I like those lyrics. Thanks Orodo!

I came across the lyrics of a Pat Benatar song in a book I was reading the other day. I'm gonna post that one and another favorite of mine by her with other posts.

Victor

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.