Newest Members
GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy
12465 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyrus (44), Dupe1978 (36), James_Is_Talking (36), K-man (58), LordShiningStarr (36), ricky (51), Shawn Hope (29), teresa (42), Warner82 (32)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 18 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12465 Members
74 Forums
63998 Topics
446693 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#85129 - 02/10/03 09:42 PM Dr. Gatner comments
The Dean Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
If I do this correctly with copy and paste you will find a story about a local teacher 32 or so and a 16 yo boy she was having sex with. People around here feel she wasn't professional but the boys surely was not harmed--so they say and Richard sets them straight'
(Here is Milwaukee area)
Bob

http://www.jsonline.com/news/OzWash/feb03/115698.asp

:rolleyes:

#85130 - 02/11/03 07:07 PM Re: Dr. Gatner comments
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St Paul MN
Thanks for posting this Bob. Muldoon

#85131 - 02/14/03 12:29 AM Re: Dr. Gatner comments
Richard Gartner, PhD Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York, NY, USA
Thanks, Bob, for posting this. The reporter didn't send me copy and i could not recall which newspaper it was, so this is my first opportunity to read it.

Here is the article (sometimes these articles are not available on line for long):

More women being charged with sex abuse

Society has begun to understand damage done to boys, experts say

By JEFF COLE
jcole@journalsentinel.com

Last Updated: Feb. 3, 2003

It's 1987, and a 36-year-old Madison high school gym teacher is charged with sexual assault for a liaison in her basement with a 15-year-old boy.
Wisconsin

But the case is tossed out of court on a technicality. A Dane County judge says, in effect, that the law is worded in such a fashion that it isn't possible for a woman to sexually assault a boy.

Fast-forward to the present. The law still reads the same, but it's being interpreted differently - and much more aggressively.

West Bend high school teacher Carla Paulsrud, 31, was charged Jan. 22 with five counts of sexually assaulting a student, starting when he was 16. Then she was hauled back into court when she was accused of disobeying a court order not to see the boy, now 17.

The criminal complaint says Paulsrud, who has since resigned, had more than 50 sexual encounters with the boy. If convicted, she could be sentenced to up to 50 years in prison.

But Paulsrud's is just the latest case in Wisconsin. Others include:

* Gina M. Schroeter, 42, of Grafton was sentenced in December in Ozaukee County to a year in prison and six years' extended supervision for having sexual encounters with a 15-year-old Cedarburg boy. The relationship between the two was kindled while they were preparing for a church Christmas pageant.
* Laurie J. Mosher, 40, an English and drama teacher at Oshkosh North High School, pleaded guilty in August to a charge of sexual assault of a student after having an eight-month-long sexual relationship with a 17-year-old male student.

She was sentenced in December to 2 1/2 years in prison and 3 1/2 years of extended supervision.

* Melissa A. Bittner, 23, a music teacher at Messmer High School in Milwaukee, was sentenced to a year in prison and three years of community supervision in June for having repeated sexual contact with a 16-year-old male student.
* Lori Ann Hanson, 36, a special education teacher at Bluff View Intermediate School in Prairie du Chien, pleaded no contest to a charge of sexual assault of a student. She was sentenced in April 2001 to serve a two-year prison sentence.

Hanson had a six-month sexual relationship with a 16-year-old male student.

There are currently 319 women listed on Wisconsin's sexual offender registry and 52 women in prison for committing sexual assaults. The offender registry has more than 11,000 names on it, said Bill Clausius, a spokesman for the state Department of Corrections.

Attitude change

"Fifty years ago, if a dad heard about a teacher having sex with his son, he would go over to the teacher's house and tell her to knock that crap off," Milwaukee defense attorney Robert G. LeBell said. "It wouldn't even be referred to the police. Today, society's attitude has definitely changed."

Law enforcement and mental health professionals agree. And as a result, more and more women are being arrested, charged and convicted of sexual assaulting boys.

"What's happening is not just a blip on the radar," said Richard Gartner, a psychologist practicing in New York. "People are now realizing that boys can be sexually abused and that women can be sexual predators."

Gartner is president of MaleSurvivor, a group that works with male victims of sexual abuse.

He said boys may be conditioned to think that they were lucky to have such an encounter. But, he added, later in life they suffer from many of the same problems female sexual assault victims do: an inability to form appropriate relationships, an improper attitude toward sex, depression and feelings of rage.

Rare in past

Robert J. Shoop, a professor of educational administration at Kansas State University and an expert on sexual harassment prevention, said that not too long ago it was rare that such cases got as far as the courts.

"It's clear that society didn't believe there was any injury done to the boy," Shoop said. "That is changing. People are starting to realize the psychological damage that can be done by one of these affairs."

Women are just as cunning as men in picking out their victims, Shoop said. They pick immature boys with low self-esteem who come from troubled homes, or who are having problems fitting in at school, he said.

"I have not found a case where the captain of the football team or the son of the police chief has been involved," Shoop said.

They know that the boys they choose are far less likely to tell anyone what is happening, he added.

Brad D. Schimel, a Waukesha County assistant district attorney, agrees. "I think there is a greater reluctance on the part of boys to report this sort of thing. I don't know if it's a different attitude or what."

In years past, Shoop said, when teacher-student sex cases were discovered in schools, teachers were fired and sent on to another school district.

And that's exactly what happened in the '87 Dane County case.

Because the case was dismissed, the woman still has a valid state teacher's certificate, according to state Department of Public Instruction records. She was teaching in New Glarus as recently as last year.

#85132 - 02/15/03 12:48 PM Re: Dr. Gatner comments
The Dean Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
Hi Richard,

Thanks for posting that. I was happy that the truth is getting out about women perps. So many of our men have had a woman perp.

I hope you received the copy of the magazine. I liked the way they laid out the info.

You get qouted a lot and I always think that they send you a copy of the paper or magaazine that quotes you. I will be sure to send any future things I see.

Much thanks to you again, for your book. I keep reading and keep understanding myself better as a result. I have a new therapist, a grandmotherly lady. I think she is going to be very helpful. I am tempted to buy her a copy of the book so we are on the same page, so to say!

Peace to you friend.

Bob

#85133 - 02/17/03 12:00 AM Re: Dr. Gatner comments
Richard Gartner, PhD Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York, NY, USA
No, they did not send me a copy of the article. Some journalists are far more meticulous about that than others. So if anyone still happens to have one, please send it to me.

Bob, thanks as always for your kind words about my book. I am always happy to have someone give a copy of it to someone else, especially to a therapist who may use it to help other men as well. And it's nice to remind my publishers that this is a book that keeps selling so that they keep it in print!

Richard

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.