Newest Members
GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy
12465 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyrus (44), Dupe1978 (36), James_Is_Talking (36), K-man (58), LordShiningStarr (36), ricky (51), Shawn Hope (29), teresa (42), Warner82 (32)
Who's Online
3 registered (GummyBear, 2 invisible), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12465 Members
74 Forums
64000 Topics
446703 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#85124 - 02/07/03 12:22 PM Frontline / pbs.org (failure to protect)
Wifey1 Offline

Did anyone see Frontlines show last night? (if i am not posting this in the right spot pls feel free to move it)
it was titled "Failure to Protect". I only caught the last half or so of the show -- the discussion & show basically were centered around the topic of DHS / child welfare & removing kids from parents. What struck me in this show was not the abuse that was pointed out in individual cases -- but rather the words that I have waited damn near 40 FORTY YEARS to hear. Spoken by a child welfare case worker, supervisor
"We KNOW that often times once we have placed a child into the foster care system they will probably be abused in the foster care home that INCLUDES Physical, Emotional, AND Sexual Abuse. BUT WE dont check up on the child in the Foster Home (no follow up home studies)."
During this show it was also stated that Child Protective CASEWORKERS only recieve about 5 -6 weeks training, 3 weeks of which are spent learning HOW to fill out paper work. A high school diploma, maybe 2 yrs of (& this is no shit they stated it as stats) ART Major will allow for someone to become a CASEWORKER, making decisions that are going to end in KNOWN TRAUMA to a CHILD, .... no matter the situation .... the CHILD LOSES!!
(this is really really a core issue for me so apologies for the rambles & rants).
I think this was based in the state of Maine? But, info given said it is average for our ENTIRE COUNTRY EVERY STATE!!
I AM ANGRY AND VALIDATED ALL IN ONE OVER THIS !!
This country's child welfare / family welfare protection system is so FUCKING BROKEN!! The quorum after the show basically admitted the system is broken two fold -- & there are some law makers attempting to change this, they admitted it has been broken & wrong for 50 plus years.
MY GOSH!! A beautiful young person sat in that quorum & spoke out about being a child in foster care, how her birth family lost her due to alcoholic parents & surrounding issues then once placed into foster care she was PHYSICALLY, EMOTIONALLY & SEXUALLY ABUSED. She shook, her voice soft & squeeking -- but she was blunt and SPOKE THE TRUTH of her situation --- SHE ECHOED MY LIFE!!!
Only one woman on the panel of speakers spoke out about the truth, that the "system" is more targeted toward the poor & those who dont live the "white picket fence" hoods. AND that currently laws on the books are increasingly headed toward making it easier to TERMINATE parental rights so that children can be placed in PERMANENCY ... Permanency of homes that they ALREADY admit have a high risk of furthering the ABUSE, & increasing the TYPE of abuse.
I know my birth parents were broken & fucked up, but I cant express how often over the past 40 years I have questioned if I would have been LESS TRAUMATIZED in my birth home rather than to be ADOPTED IN PERMANENCY for SEXUAL abuse & repeatedly sexually abused by not only my adoptive parents but by every fucking pedophile they could drag into the picture of what would fold out to be my life.
My rational (evil laffter here) side of my brain tells me there were & are no garruntees in how my life would have played out if not removed from my birth home & even my spirituality tells me my life plan was pre destined I had no control nor those around me....
A Validation PUBLICLY, tho probably not seen or "gotten" by those who can really make a difference... but SPOKEN AND VALIDATED all the same.
Apparently there are 3 parts to this show ... I am just sorry I did not see all of it, however I am going to write to my political leaders -- and tell my story THEY NEED TO GET IT !! SO NO MORE KIDS GET "IT" !!!
and what was the quorums response for resolve to a broken system? the same as with every issue THE NEED FOR MORE MONEY AND MORE PEOPLE....
supposedly we are the richest country in the world, maybe not the most populace but i know we have a few million out here....
I STILL havent figured out how to break the APATHY of issues, folks just dont get involved UNTIL its on their front porch....
God Help us All & a BIG Thank YOU for a validation to what I and far far too many others have experienced and known for too long.
Wifey1

#85125 - 02/09/03 07:14 PM Re: Frontline / pbs.org (failure to protect)
The Dean Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
I rather believe that when the histyroy of this and past generqtions is written is will memtion that at no time in history were children more betrayed that during our time. We have a radio talks show host in Milwaukee that openly growls the word "children" every time he says it.

All the more reason, I believe, for us to do oour best to protect them.

Bob

#85126 - 02/13/03 11:36 PM Re: Frontline / pbs.org (failure to protect)
ScottyTodd Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Pennsylvania
I agree with TheDean about the need for increased child protection. Children & Youth Services required to protect children taken from the home or needed to be investigated from Childline reports, are missing huge amounts of children - some they've lost track of and can't find (not just Florida!).

Megan's Law requires Pedophile Predators - deemed so by trained panels - to serve their time and, upon release, file yearly with the proper authorities. Recent investigations revealed that over 77,000 predators - pedophiles preying on children - are unaccounted for. They never 'mailed' back their registration card and the underfunded program administrators can't locate them.

The kids and teens (all male) I see has tripled in the last two years and there is a waiting list!!!

I've learned that caring starts with me and focusing on what can I, an individual, do to make a difference. Look at what we can do and let what we can't do be pushed to the side!

#85127 - 02/13/03 11:37 PM Re: Frontline / pbs.org (failure to protect)
ScottyTodd Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Pennsylvania
I agree with TheDean about the need for increased child protection. Children & Youth Services required to protect children taken from the home or needed to be investigated from Childline reports, are missing huge amounts of children - some they've lost track of and can't find (not just Florida!).

Megan's Law requires Pedophile Predators - deemed so by trained panels - to serve their time and, upon release, file yearly with the proper authorities. Recent investigations revealed that over 77,000 predators - pedophiles preying on children - are unaccounted for. They never 'mailed' back their registration card and the underfunded program administrators can't locate them.

The kids and teens (all male) I see has tripled in the last two years and there is a waiting list!!!

I've learned that caring starts with me and focusing on what can I, an individual, do to make a difference. Look at what we can do and let what we can't do be pushed to the side!

#85128 - 02/13/03 11:52 PM Re: Frontline / pbs.org (failure to protect)
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
It is like I said in another thread. We are a flash on the evening news and then out we go with the fish head. The subject of child sexual abuse should not be openly discussed in public forum. This is the dirty little secret of the society in which we live. How many non abused people out there do think believe that we must have played a role in what happened to us. I think it would stagger us. As I said elsewhere they will save the whales and seals but children are on their own. I mean survival of the fittest right. Well dammit that is wrong. I dont think predators should ever get out or if they are there sentence should at least equal the combined years of hell they have caused their victims. Public apathy! You bet. You see if the story is not sensational it is not newsworthy. They just dont get it do they.
I am really looking forward to the day when one of us rises to the top and has the balls to out himself and put this whole damned thing on the public agenda. Kids should be talked to in school by survivors, not to detail the gory stuff but to relate the years of horror that followed by not speaking out at once. How many PTA groups do you think would allow that. I mean Johnny knows how to look after himself. We dont need cripples talking to them. How many suicides of school age children are a result of abuse. I am scared to think about it.

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.