Newest Members
mossTI, E35, 1975, Lucy, StacyR
12337 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
6 registered (Dave PNW, VASurvivor, 4 invisible), 25 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12337 Members
74 Forums
63418 Topics
443374 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#85101 - 01/10/03 12:31 PM Lost sex abusers
The Dean Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
Last night, Thursday, Jan 9,03 NBC had a story about the fact that the Stqate of California has lost track of 33,200+ convicted sex abusers after they left prison and then did not register as they are required by law.

Brilliant--like they care about the law. If there are that many in California, how many are there in our nation? How safe are our children?

This is malfeasance in office. Each of the cute little pilotless drones costs over $3 Million--many of them get shot down. Use the money to protect our kids.

Bob

#85102 - 01/11/03 07:45 PM Re: Lost sex abusers
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
And I thought it only happened over here - most of our have gone missing as well.

Perhaps they're all together having a bit of a party somewhere ?

That's our taxes...........

Dave

#85103 - 01/11/03 08:45 PM Re: Lost sex abusers
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
It's not like there are 33,000 sexual abusers running amok in California. The whole sex offender registry concept is full of holes and bureaucratic problems. In California, people with sexual offenses that are decades old, are made to register. This includes consensual homosexual acts that were illegal 30-40 years ago. It also includes statutory rape situations of 18 yr olds having "consensual" sex with 14 year olds.

The rush to put more than 200,000 sexual offenders created many inaccuracies in terms of addresses and other information that is either out of date or screwed up somehow.

In NJ, for example, I know of a good number of internet registrants who are multiply listed because of spelling mistakes. For example, Brian Hughes is listed three times as his correct name, Brian V. Hughes, and "Brain Hughes". That counts as three listings (three offenders posted) on the registry. Does that also happen in California? I'm sure it does since NJ modeled its registry after California's.

Point is not to take everything you read as Gospel. The people who set up and run these systems are human and there is a lot of inaccuracy out there.

Also, the idea that a registry makes kids safer is a lot of hooey. Most of the abusers who are doing abuse at this very moment are not known or registered. They most likely haven't even been reported or arrested.

Prevention is job #1, in my opinion. Internet registry and Megan's Laws have many flaws and bottom line is that they really don't protect children from abuse. (If you're thinking, "but if it saves only one child...." there is a greater price that is paid out in the sense that repressive and punitive measures with sexual abusers can actually INCREASE the likelihood of sexual abuse. I can provide evidence to that if anyone actually believes these laws prevent sexual abuse.
Ken

#85104 - 01/11/03 10:15 PM Re: Lost sex abusers
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
Wow Ken that would be interesting to see!...

Victor

#85105 - 01/12/03 10:47 AM Re: Lost sex abusers
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
For a comprehensive history and discussion about Megan's Laws, see:

http://www.appa-net.org/revisitingmegan.pdf

Rob Freeman-Longo is one of the pioneers in the child sexual abuse field and is highly respected internationally.

Ken

#85106 - 01/12/03 02:03 PM Re: Lost sex abusers
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St Paul MN
In MN they just said 3300 have not reported, thats 1/10 of the # in Calf. but also it was 1/2 of the total # of all abuser in MN. So we have only 50% reporting ,Time to change it some how. Maybe the law isn,t the best and full of holes and bureaucratic problems, it's what we have now.
This should be an opertunity to get the word out about the long tream effects of Sexual Abuse and how it has to stop now. Lets start educating the people about SA. Muldoon

#85107 - 01/12/03 07:47 PM Re: Lost sex abusers
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
This is a list I compiled from the article Ken gives a link to above. It might be helpful to read this article in order to better know Megan's Law with all its implications, know how it might be improved & made more effective, know how it might better be enforced & acted upon, and know how better laws might be enacted that could even better serve survivors & society...

The Problems with Megan's Law and Sex Offender Registration:
(1) Origins of Public Notification.
(2) Lack of Supporting Data Determining the Efficacy of Public Notification.
(3) Cost.
(4) Subsequent Violence.
(5) Extension to Other Crimes.
(6) Confidentiality.
(7) Constitutional Rights.
(8) Beyond Punishment.
(9) Primary Prevention.
(10) False Sense of Security.
(11) Terrorizing of the Community.
(12) Impact on Victims.
(13) Impact on Others.
(14) Plea-bargains.
(15) Risk Determination.
(16) External vs. Internal Control.
(17) Adversarial Role / Ethical Dilemma.
(18) Undermining Treatment.
(19) Misplaced Responsibility.
(20) Limiting of the Offender's Ability to Function in the Community.
(21) Age of the Offender.
(22) Mentally III Sex Offenders.
(23) Intelligence of the Offender.
(24) Female Sexual Abusers.
(25) Decrease in Reporting.

Many of these "problems" don't really bother me or dissuade me from thinking of Megans Law as having positive benefits for survivors & society. But here are a few excerpts from some of these that in particular lead me to rethink Megans Law as it now stands & is used...

(1) Origins of Public Notification.
"Unfortunately, Megan's Law and sex offender registration laws have been used even in cases involving incest and have resulted in families and victims being identified and harassed."

(4) Subsequent Violence. Public notification may lead to further violence. Some states already have experienced vigilante activities. The violence is not limited to convicted and registered/notified sex offenders. In many cases, innocent people, mistaken for sex offenders, have been assaulted or had their property damaged.

(10) False Sense of Security. Public notification is an easy solution to the highly emotional issue of sexual offending. The very nature of the law leads one to believe that by knowing where sex offenders live, one will feel safer. Safety is more than knowing. Some people feel more anxious knowing they now live near a convicted sex offender. Others cannot sell their homes when they want to move and known sex offenders are residing in nearby housing.

(13) Impact on Others.

In Dallas, Texas, a man mistaken as a child molester was beaten, and four of his
front teeth were knocked out by four men as they shouted, "Child molester" (Lyda,1999).

In Lansing, Michigan, a 26-year-old man was branded as a child molester incorrectly. His name was immediately placed on a Family Independence Agency's “undesirables” list. The court ordered his name removed, but the damage had been done. The man lost jobs, friends, and family respect, and ultimately, his health was affected (Miner, 1998).

(20) Limiting of the Offender's Ability to Function in the Community. Sex offenders need to learn appropriate skills that assist them in functioning appropriately and safely in the community. In the absence of these skills they do not function well and are at greater risk of reoffending. Threats, harassment, and fear of reprisal by citizens keep the offender in a state of stress and anxiety and, thus, more likely to
reoffend. To function in the community, the offender has to feel a part of the community like anyone else. Sex offender registration and public notification laws compromise the sex offender's ability to do so in a healthy and safe way.

(25) Decrease in Reporting. Reports from New Jersey and Colorado indicate that there is a decrease in the reporting of juvenile sexual offenses and incest offenses by family members and victims who do not want to deal with the impact of public notification on their family.
Although reported, many sex crimes are not resulting in convictions, now, or the charges are reduced to nonsexual offenses through plea bargaining. In Michigan, many Judges and prosecutors are having a difficult time obtaining convictions for juvenile sex offenders because many jury members do not want to live with the guilt of ostracizing a 15-year-old for the majority of his life. Moreover the actual prosecutors, judges, and referees are reluctant to convict these juveniles for the very same reason. They are placing a growing number of juveniles under advisement status. (If the juvenile sex offender completes treatment, the juvenile record is dismissed.) (Rosenberg, 2000).

OK, so what do you think about these or other points mentioned in this article? About Megan's Law? What can be done to improve upon it? To in other ways more effectively protect survivors & other innocents & society in general, while not only punishing perps but also helping them not to perpetrate again?

Victor

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.