This story is kicking up a big controversy here today - whether the victims should have to be cross-examined by the abuser in open court, face-to-face. The abuse occurred between 1994 and 2001 and apparently the children involved are all still in their teens. He started cross-examination of the first boy today. The guideline the judge has set so far is only that the defendent is not allowed to approach the stand.
ALLEGED CHILD MOLESTER ACCUSES POLICE
By KRISTA VASQUEZ and ANTONIA GIEDWOYN, KGW Staff
A Portland man accused of more than 100 counts of sexual abuse against five children appeared in court Thursday calling the trial a case of “police misconduct”. Henry Bundy, 39, is defending himself in the Multnomah County Court trial after firing his two attorneys. That allows the accused child molester to cross-examine his alleged victims.
Bundy coerced his girlfriend’s son and the son’s friends to perform various sexual acts over the course of several years, often threatening the children with violence, the prosecutor in the case told the jury.
Bundy never denied the accusations against him during pre-trial motions Thursday, but he did hurl his own accusations at police and the state of Oregon. “The defense’s position is going to be this is a case of police misconduct…I don’t think these children are specifically trying to lie. I think these children are being led to tell the story the state wants them to tell,” Bundy said.
Bundy’s controversial decision to defend himself and cross-examine his accusers has prosecutors worried about how that may affect the children. Prosecutor Frank Ravelo said he is concerned it will be hard on the alleged victims. Ravelo said he will object if he believes Bundy is badgering a witness. Officials say the judge will set some guidelines when the children take the stand.
According to reports, the case will rely heavily on testimony by the five children and little on physical evidence.
(The Associated Press also contributed to this story.)