Newest Members
Xr2, clt, Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung
12371 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
drivejoepublic (44), eagle299 (43), H18 (21), JJJ (43), mariposaman (63), SevenTwoTwo76 (39), TexAgMan (37), waiter (44), wgwarch (55)
Who's Online
4 registered (don64, Ocellaris, BraveFalcon, 1 invisible), 31 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12371 Members
74 Forums
63591 Topics
444242 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#85074 - 11/27/02 11:34 PM I think i'm gonna puke
orodo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Imladris, The Safe Haven of Ar...
It's been a while since I've felt like posting any news here...

N.H. diocese agress to pay more than $5m in settlements

By Stephen Kurkjian, Globe Staff, 11/27/2002

The diocese of Manchester, N.H., announced yesterday that it has agreed to pay more than $5 million to settle claims of sexual abuse against 28 priests, two lay employees, and one member of a religious order.

The incidents of abuse covered by the settlement occurred between 1956 and 1985, and involved 62 victims. But because the diocese did not have insurance coverage early in that period, it must pay the bulk of the settlement out of its own assets.

Of the total, $2.1 million will come from the diocese's unrestricted savings account, and $900,000 from other reserves. Lloyd's of London, the insurance carrier, will contribute the remaining $2 million to the settlement, the diocese stated.

Peter E. Hutchins of Manchester, who represented the victims in the settlement, praised the diocese and Lloyd's for acting in good faith in reaching the agreement. ''I'm very pleased that we were able to accomplish a settlement of this magnitude without the need to resort to litigation, with all of the potential harm to victims and other people that could entail.''

Hutchins declined to provide details on payments to individuals. But one participant in the negotiations who asked not to be identified said that one victim who had been abused more than 100 times was paid nearly $500,000.

Individual settlement amounts varied with the severity of the molestation suffered by the victim, with sodomy being the worst offense and fondling outside of the clothes being the least severe.

Only four of the 28 priests were in active ministry in New Hampshire when the complaints against them were filed. All have since been removed. The remainder had either died, retired, or left the ministry. Of the 62 victims, Hutchins said, five were women.

Yesterday's agreement brings to 78 the number of victims of clergy sexual abuse who have reached settlement on the claims with the Manchester diocese. Mark Abramson of Manchester, who represents another 60 alleged victims, broke off settlement negotiations with the diocese in September and is preparing for trial.

The Rev. Edward J. Arsenault, chancellor for the Manchester diocese and its delegate on sexual abuse claims, said yesterday's settlement shows the determination of the diocese and Bishop John McCormack to resolve the claims.

In all, more than 40 priests who served in New Hampshire have been accused of molesting youths between the early 1950s and the late 1980s, according to Attorney General Philip T. McLaughlin. McLaughlin's office is close to completing its criminal investigation into whether the Manchester diocese may have violated the state's child endangerment statute.

Stephen Kurkjian can be reached at kurkjian@globe.com

This story ran on page B4 of the Boston Globe on 11/27/2002.
Copyright 2002 Globe Newspaper Company.

It is better to be Dragon Master than Dragon Slayer. Some Dragons are meant to be mastered, others meant to be slain. Odin, Great Spirit, God, grant me the wisdom to know the difference. "May the Valar guide and bless you on your path under the sky"

#85075 - 11/28/02 12:28 AM Re: I think i'm gonna puke
Don-NY Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Long Island, NY
2,000,000 Liability insurance which covers the actions of sexual abusers.

Lloyd's of London. Aren't they known as being the insurer of last resort?

Hmmm?

#85076 - 11/28/02 12:35 AM Re: I think i'm gonna puke
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
"I think I'm gonna puke..."

I'm right behind you Orodo, in line, ready to hug the commode myself...

Wuame

#85077 - 12/09/02 01:54 AM Re: I think i'm gonna puke
Ross Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada
Tough Topic:

As a victim of Catholic Clergy abuse I went through the legal reconcilation process in the early ninties. The official recorder's summary on our case was over 400 pages. Much of the settlement work occuring now over the emerging American cases seems based on the same model.

I have no more puke left to give so I will not be speaking to the big white telephone with you gentlemen at this time. I would, however, sure like to have been a fly on the wall as the bean counters and lawyers got out their calculators and figured out the root generic value of the various offenses that were visited upon the victims.

Contrary to most victims I am not anti-Catholic anymore. I hope for the sake of the victims, honest priests and millions of Catholics who have been appalled by the whole mess that the Church will do what is well above right regardless of the cost. Sexual abuse is a dirty, caustic buisness in every way and hurts anyone it touches. I used to visualize tracking my abusers down and becoming a personal representative for the wrath of God, even if it meant burning my own life down. For my own sake , (thanks be to God), I have had to let the rage go but I sure will never hug up or go out for dinner and a movie with any of my abusers.

I wonder how the all-consuming carnivore of a task-laden process we went through to recover our lives would feel to the accountants and lawyers if they ever could live in our hearts for a quick few minutes. My guess is that, after realizing the horror of it all, they would be screaming to be free again and the compensation would flow like like the Balm of Gilead on road rash large.

My Burning:

In the emptiness
of my blemished sacrafice
ashes slowly rise.

#85078 - 12/09/02 09:06 AM Re: I think i'm gonna puke
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
Ross:

Your courage & faith are inspiring, and surely have been difficult to come by!

It is great to hear your experience as someone who was abused by clergy yet has not lost faith in all clergy or the entire church. It would be understandable & I don't fault those who do. After all I was incested by my mother & I nearly lost faith in motherhood, and in women in general...

I'm glad for your sake that you've been able to let go of the rage, and that you have healthy boundaries in place concerning your perps. It's taken time but I've at last been able to come to that myself--most of the time, anyway. At least no more revenge fantasies...

Ross, I love that last paragraph, and I totally agree with you. May the compensation flow...

Take care Ross

Wuame

#85079 - 12/09/02 04:14 PM Re: I think i'm gonna puke
Don-NY Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Long Island, NY
Ross,

If I may use your Haiku as a starting point.

Afterburn:

Ashes slowly rise,
and like the Fabled Phoenix,
Life itself revives.

Donald

#85080 - 12/09/02 08:52 PM Re: I think i'm gonna puke
Ross Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada
Hey Don:

Not bad !!, the Pheonix and rebirth from the fire is very cool. Thanks, Oh to be a bird of legend and fly again. As Neil Young said "Oh to live on sugar mountain"

Ross

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.