Newest Members
Jay1159, jon-jon, want more, pgh15217, Barracuda312
12343 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
GeneF48 (66), kun wang (32)
Who's Online
4 registered (I Want 2 Thrive, Obi, pattom, 1 invisible), 19 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12343 Members
74 Forums
63439 Topics
443464 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#84998 - 01/16/07 05:35 PM Tragic story (from 2005) (Trigger Warnings)
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Kenneth_Shriner

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - Page updated at 09:06 AM

Man who survived assault as a boy dies in motorcycle wreck.

TACOMA A man who was mutilated and left for dead as a boy, an attack that led to the nation's first law allowing indefinite confinement of sexual predators, has died in a motorcycle wreck at age 23.

The young man, of Roy, died June 9 when his motorcycle collided with a pickup near Yelm.

He was the victim of a grisly attack in 1989 that made national headlines. A convicted sex offender, Earl Kenneth Shriner, was sentenced to 131 years in prison for ambushing and raping the 7-year-old, cutting off his penis, stabbing him and leaving him for dead in a Tacoma park.

Legislators cited the case in adopting the nation's first state law to allow indefinite civil confinement of sexual predators, noting that Shriner had a 25-year history of perversion and violence against young people.

His victim enjoyed skateboarding, snowboarding and skydiving and recently got a flying lesson from a cousin while visiting Illinois.

"He survived something that was extreme and consequently he lived his life extreme," his mother, Helen Harlow, said. "You cheat death once, you figure you can cheat it just about any time you want."

Surgery to reconstruct his penis succeeded and her son was able to lead a full life, Harlow had said. She became a crusader for laws to protect the public against predators.

Now 55, Shriner remains in prison.

Copyright 2005 The Seattle Times Company

I came upon this story while looking up capital punishment on wikipedia. To think of surviving that and to die in a stupid motorcycle wreck. Just plain sad. This really got to me.

#84999 - 01/16/07 06:32 PM Re: Tragic story (from 2005) (Trigger Warnings)
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
What a tragic story, but it does not surprise me how he was a risk taker.
Maybe his mind slipped, like dissociated or something.

At least he is out of his hurt now, God knows what we have to worry about.
I hope they have cut the bastards balls off,

ste

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.