Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
fakir (71), HelpMeHelpHim32 (41), motherstars (65)
Who's Online
4 registered (pittsburgh, traveler, Logan, 1 invisible), 30 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12502 Members
74 Forums
64191 Topics
447936 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#84951 - 01/13/07 03:30 AM Not one but TWO missing boys FOUND!!
Ivanhoe Offline
MaleSurvivor

Two Missing Boys Found Alive in Mo. Home
January 12, 2007 8:39 PM EST
BEAUFORT, Mo. - A 13-year-old boy who vanished from the gravel road near his home five days ago was found alive about 60 miles away in a suburban St. Louis home, along with a 15-year-old boy missing since 2002, authorities said Friday.

The boys were found in a Kirkwood home belonging to Michael Devlin, 41, who has been charged with one count of first-degree kidnapping, Sheriff Gary Toelke said.

The sheriff said both boys appeared unharmed. William Ownby, who goes by Ben, appeared somewhat dazed as he walked inside the sheriff's department, where he was reunited with his family Friday night.

The straight-A student and Boy Scout was last seen after he stepped off his school bus and ran toward his home down a gravel road on Monday.

A friend who left the bus with the boy told authorities that after the two parted, he saw a small white pickup with a camper shell speeding away from where Ben had been walking.

Searchers on foot, horseback and all-terrain vehicles looked for Ben in the hilly area about 60 miles southwest of St. Louis.

Toelke said the break in the case came Thursday night. Kirkwood city police officers were serving a warrant on an apartment complex when they noticed a white truck matching the de>

#84952 - 01/13/07 03:44 AM Re: Not one but TWO missing boys FOUND!!
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Simply stunning. A great outcome but there are so many questions.

#84953 - 01/13/07 03:35 PM Re: Not one but TWO missing boys FOUND!!
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
What a story, I am so glad for those parents who never gave up, and all those who helped.
God knows how many other kids go missing the same way, maybe never to be found,

ste

#84954 - 01/13/07 04:08 PM Re: Not one but TWO missing boys FOUND!!
Kenn Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto, Canada
It is so amazing. I was glued to the TV during the news conference as Shawn Hornbeck (the one missing for years) and his mom and step-dad, who started a foundation in his name four years ago, just kept pinching themselves to make sure they weren't dreaming.

"He looks fine" seems to be the consensus but his step-dad knows enough not to assume anything. I hope, that with all the public awareness his kidnapping generated (rekindled last week when the other fellow went missing), that the best of follow-up treatment will be available to these boys.

May their recovery begin now.

Kenn

William Shakespeare, Hamlet

#84955 - 01/13/07 05:05 PM Re: Not one but TWO missing boys FOUND!!
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

"Miracles DO Happen"

Missing boy's parents hail Missouri miracle

Video
ST. LOUIS, Missouri (CNN) -- "We're glad to have him home," said Pam Akers, choking back tears Saturday, one day after her 15-year-old son Shawn Hornbeck was found alive four years after he disappeared.

"This is one, of those rare rare things. To have one missing child found is just extraordinary," said the boy's stepfather, Craig Akers. "To have two found at the same time is one of those things -- you don't even read about things like that."

The two were speaking at a news conference Saturday after the discovery of Shawn and another missing boy, William Ben Ownby, 13, in a St. Louis, Missouri-area apartment -- a discovery that brought joy to families and police alike.

"It's been like a dream. We're so fortunate. This is a prime example of why I've told everyone in this situation not to give up hope," Craig Akers told reporters as he teared up. He spoke in a room decorated with balloons and posters that read "Miracles do Happen."

Shawn was last seen riding his bike to a friend's house in October 2002.

William had been missing since Monday, when he was last seen getting off his school bus in Franklin County, near St. Louis.

A suspect, 41-year-old Michael J. Devlin, was arrested and has been charged with one count of first-degree kidnapping, said Franklin County Prosecutor Robert Parks.

Devlin was being held on $1 million bail, and more charges are likely, Parks said.

Investigators were elated by the break in the case.

"We have some good news, and we have some probably unbelievable news," Franklin County Sheriff Gary Toelke began Friday in a news conference intended to update reporters on the search for William, AP reported.

The break came, thanks to a rusty white Nissan pickup truck that matched the de>

#84956 - 01/13/07 06:02 PM Re: Not one but TWO missing boys FOUND!!
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
My b/f and I were glued to CNN all morning with lots of tears being shed. I am so happy for those 2 boys and their families. Lord knows there is a long, long road ahead, but they're on it now. The boys are safe which today is the most important thing of all.

I'm sad for what they've been through and what they will have to go through but for today, I'll smile because they were found. Sometimes, life works out.

ROCK ON........Trish

#84957 - 01/13/07 09:49 PM Re: Not one but TWO missing boys FOUND!!
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

This story even made prime time news in the Uk.
I hope I am wrong, but the motive may have been sexual, the reason I state this, is because maybe the older guy was getting too old and he needed younger blood.

It gets me how neighbors never sensed something wrong!
Its also amazing how they can control kids this way without them fleeing home.

I too was overjoyed at the parents finding their son alive when they thought the state trooper was pulling them over to give them bad news.

I guess God really is there, and he made their dreams come true.
I was overwhelmed by it, just as they were, and just hope there is joy and happiness in this story.

ste

#84958 - 01/13/07 11:47 PM Re: Not one but TWO missing boys FOUND!!
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Ste,

I'm afraid you're probably right; some of the news people are already speculating on it, but I wish they wouldn't. I would imagine that the families of the boys will do their best to keep them from the news, but it's only human nature to want to know what people are saying about you.

My b/f and I were discussing just a little while ago whether or not it was a good idea to have both boys present at the respective press conferences given by their families. He had one opinion and I had another. We talked and we can each see the pros and cons of the decision.

My opinion was that it was the right thing to do and I'll tell you why. This story is huge. Ste as you said it even made it across the pond. The media was thanked profusely for their aid in trying to find both boys, even though no one expected them to be found together. The media is always ravenous for information and, most times, will stop at nothing to get it. By bringing the boys out now, while they were still caught up in the whirlwind of being found, being reunited with their families, interviews with law enforcement, etc., I think that a press conference was just one more thing on the list of incredibly out of the ordinary things going on right now. It's out of the way. The media has been asked to now back off and leave the families alone. I believe that because they have seen the boys, talked to their parents and will continue to receive what law enforcement chooses to tell them, they will adhere to the families' request and leave them alone, until the trial, if there is one.

I'm curious to know what you guys think.

ROCK ON..........Trish

#84959 - 01/14/07 01:41 PM Re: Not one but TWO missing boys FOUND!!
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Trish, I for one think its wrong to put them before the cameras.
Those boys will have a hard time without the public glaring at them.

The older boy is going to go through the worst of it, as he is nearer adulthood.
I do hope adequate help is at hand and the families get enough compensation.

He will be over protected by his parents which is sad.
Normal teenagers are a pain without all this going on as well.

I am only seeing it from my own view, and I guess the nightmare is only just beginning.
I hope that I am totally wrong,

ste

#84960 - 01/14/07 08:51 PM Re: Not one but TWO missing boys FOUND!!
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Ste,

I totally hear what you are saying and that was my initial reaction and certainly what my b/f felt. But at some point, the news people would have been all but beating down the doors and making life even more difficult for the boys and their families. It's wrong - I know everyone here feels that - but it's a fact of today's life that can't be escaped.

I really believe that it was better to do it immediately, while the boys were probably still in a bit of shock from all of the events surrounding their rescue.

From everything I'm hearing in the news, help certainly is at hand for the boys. The family of the older one is probably more aware of what needs to be done for their son because of the people and professional organizations that have helped and supported them for the 4 years that he was gone.

I'm not a prayer, but everything I've got is going to those kids.

ROCK ON......Trish

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.