Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
almostdonew/life (39), barelysurviving (45), bigbob20 (69), billyp (65), Shawv (70), TheTwoOfUs (43)
Who's Online
9 registered (Anura, highflight, 6 invisible), 34 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63775 Topics
445367 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#84946 - 01/12/07 05:27 PM Church Sex Abuse Victims Can Sue Vatican
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Full story

The men alleged that the Vatican knew or suspected some of its priests or bishops were child molesters, but failed to warn the public or local authorities.

Sex abuse victims can pursue damages from the Vatican in a lawsuit alleging top church officials failed to report known or suspected cases of child abuse, a federal judge ruled Thursday.

The ruling by U.S. District Judge John G. Heyburn II allows three men to pursue negligence claims against the Vatican over allegations of sexual abuse by priests in the Archdiocese of Louisville.

The case is the first sexual abuse lawsuit to name the Vatican as sole defendant.

The men alleged that the Vatican knew or suspected some of its priests or bishops were child molesters, but failed to warn the public or local authorities about them because of a policy prohibiting it.

#84947 - 01/12/07 09:32 PM Re: Church Sex Abuse Victims Can Sue Vatican
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto
I don't think this will go anywhere. The Holy See is a sovereign country and unless there is some sort of arrangement between the US and the Vatican, US court rulings would have no bearing there.

I guess the US court could seize Vatican assets within the US, but I am willing to bet a steak dinner that those assets belong to the Dioceses and Parishes and not to the Holy See. I'd say that this is a spurious lawsuit and these poor men are being taken to the cleaners by their lawyers.

- Mel Brooks

#84948 - 01/12/07 09:55 PM Re: Church Sex Abuse Victims Can Sue Vatican
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
I think the pressure is now on for the Vatican to stop shielding pedo priests and acknowledge that cover ups are, and have been going on.

The big issue, is that the current Pope, who seems as holy as my vest, sanctioned the cover ups in the past by his edict.

Showing such 'complicity' is a huge blow to all who have been abused by the church.
The church warn us to repent for our sins, and now it is their turn to repent theirs.

The media aspect of ignoring compensation would be massive to the Vatican, one area where they need to be courting the media instead of battling on regardless.

If the Vatican think its wrong, let them sue God.
Men of this high a position should absolve the church by paying a high penalty for their complicity in major sins.

The Archbishop of Canterbury blows them all away with his honest approach to this sort of thing.
Not the best person appointed for the job according to UK Government.

Funny, just how unpopular you can become for speaking the truth

ste

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.