Newest Members
Just Hanging, mossTI, E35, 1975, Lucy
12338 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
deaddreamer (41), hkkim (55), tony watashi (44)
Who's Online
3 registered (Bluedogone, PhoenixRising, unhappycamper), 26 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12338 Members
74 Forums
63431 Topics
443429 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#84774 - 07/09/02 12:07 AM N.H. bishop says he often didn't report abuse
orodo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Imladris, The Safe Haven of Ar...
So help me God....

http://www2.bostonherald.com/news/local_regional/ap_mccorm07082002.htm

N.H. bishop says he often didn't report abuse

Associated Press
Monday, July 8, 2002

CONCORD, N.H. - Bishop John B. McCormack admitted under oath he twice dismissed mounting evidence that two priests had sexually abused children because the alleged molesters told him they'd done nothing wrong.

McCormack, who was Cardinal Bernard Law's deputy in the Boston Archdiocese at the time, also acknowledged there were several times he didn't report suspicions of abuse by priests to civil authorities but noted he was not legally bound to do so.

McCormack was questioned in Manchester on June 4 as part of a Massachusetts lawsuit by three men who say they were molested by the Rev. Paul Shanley in the 1980s. They accuse top church officials in Boston at the time, including McCormack, of failing to stop the abuse.

At least twice, McCormack said, he dismissed concerns based on priests' denials, according to a tran>
It is better to be Dragon Master than Dragon Slayer. Some Dragons are meant to be mastered, others meant to be slain. Odin, Great Spirit, God, grant me the wisdom to know the difference. "May the Valar guide and bless you on your path under the sky"

#84775 - 07/09/02 07:55 PM Re: N.H. bishop says he often didn't report abuse
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
The McCormack's of this world are as bad if not worse than the pedophiles they protect, whether innocently or misguidedly. And if what we read in the press is correct there's not a scrap of innocence in his decisions.
This man, and I don't think he is alone, cares more for the reputation of his church than those he should be protecting.

This kind of thinking is rife, religion - prison - armed forces and schools, any institution where a hierarchy and an age difference exists is prone to this problem, the person at the top cares more for their reputation than the lives they are entrusted with.
We know what betrayal of trust is all about, our abusers taught us that, but these people are the biggest betrayers of trust in the whole sorry affair, these are the people we ultimately turn to for help. if we can't rely on bishops, wardens, commanders ,headmasters and the like who else can we turn to ? nobody.

My abuse came to light at the boarding school I was at and the headmaster did NOTHING.
I hate him more than my many abusers who were given the green light by his inaction.
Why ? because he was the most powerful person in my world, and he betrayed that position.

These apologists and excuse makers should stand alongside the abusers in the dock, and sleep, if their concience will let them, alongside the abusers in jail.

Lloydy

#84776 - 07/09/02 09:50 PM Re: N.H. bishop says he often didn't report abuse
orodo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Imladris, The Safe Haven of Ar...
Here Here, Lloydy

It is better to be Dragon Master than Dragon Slayer. Some Dragons are meant to be mastered, others meant to be slain. Odin, Great Spirit, God, grant me the wisdom to know the difference. "May the Valar guide and bless you on your path under the sky"

#84777 - 07/21/02 12:43 PM Re: N.H. bishop says he often didn't report abuse
integrator Offline

Loc: New York
I'm outraged as well, Lloydy and Orodo. It's a sad state of affairs that a longstanding institution like the Catholic Church has been so unresponsive to such an issue of this. Thank God for Protestantism and for the democratic system of government that created a world independent of the Catholic hierarchy. Thinking back in history, I can only sympathize with Martin Luther all the more in viewing the cover-up perpetrated by their hubris and superciliousness. It took him with his law and theology degrees to have the confidence to begin the process that followed.
I can only imagine that such independent Catholics as Bono, Alanis Morissette, the liberation theologists and the Jesuits must be wringing their hands at the exposure of this corruption. John F Kennedy's daughter Caroline has just released a book based on Profiles in Courage, in stark contrast to these profiles in shame.
The media has shown itself to have its watchdog side, unlike the way it was used against Jim Garrison and others in exposing domestic abuses in and by government agencies.
Matthew Fox, who was excommunicated for his notions of "original blessing" also can nod their heads in sad acknowledgment of the Church's humiliation and call to change.
Shocking. Just shocking. Thank God for the media, again, because now any legislation needed can be formulated.

#84778 - 07/21/02 07:37 PM Re: N.H. bishop says he often didn't report abuse
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Integrator
I certainly wouldn't go as far as laying praise on any institution, religious or otherwise, at the expense of another, they all have faults and bad people.
We generally choose sides because of our background and upbringing, we follow our families into religious groups and political alliances, and it's not uncommon for people to remain fiercely loyal for no other reason than their family went that road before them.
And if you need an example of this thinking going wrong through the deep rooted beliefs of two sets of people, ask the catholics in Ireland about the protestant vision of democracy. But it's unfair to just cite that as an example, it happens in all cultures and religions. The ideology looks perfect on paper, but then people get involved and the law of averages says there will be corrupt and evil ones amongst them.
And we know how corrupt, evil and devious our fellow human beings can be, whatever religion or political persuasion they may be.
Lloydy (atheist )

#84779 - 07/21/02 09:23 PM Re: N.H. bishop says he often didn't report abuse
integrator Offline

Loc: New York
Lloydy, your point is well taken. No one has a monopoly on abusive behavior, and Protestants and democracies are guilty of their own excesses and crimes. The Irish Catholics aren't the only ones to suffer discrimination, even violent discrimination. Yet, under English Parliamentary government and United States constitutional government, government by monarch was reigned in and subordinated to more or less democratic processes. Abuses in these systems now provide redress of grievances in ways that absolute monarchs seem to have avoided. Any hierarchy and organization needs to address these issues, since they are actually built out of individuals with rights. Minorities have successfully litigated against racial discrimination in corporate America, as have women. As for the Catholic Church, my understanding is that they themselves have already been subjecting their theology to votes. The Virgin Mary's status has changed since the 1800's to the extent that now she is on a ballot open to the lay people to elevate her to a level equal with Jesus, their original prophet! Watch out for democratic trends. The Constitution of the United States, formulated by Protestants, now protects all kinds of rights and preferences.
That reminds me, that it was the US that provided the overwhelming and decisive force in Western Europe to defeat the fascists in World War II. Another example of its impact.
As for England, I understand that it actually has no written constitution, and that the Magna Carta is only a historical curiosity and signpost. Lloydy, how are rights conceived of in England?

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.