Newest Members
BCtejas, JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman
12491 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
kb8715 (114), rom2057 (57), terrapin (51)
Who's Online
2 registered (aniceguy, 1 invisible), 26 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12491 Members
74 Forums
64158 Topics
447714 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#84709 - 10/30/06 03:59 AM The Pope finally speaks out
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Pope: Clergy sex abuse wounds 'run deep'

By ALESSANDRA RIZZO

Pope Benedict XVI said Saturday that clerical sex abuses were "egregious crimes" that had damaged the standing of the Catholic Church and its clergy, in his first explicit remarks on the subject since becoming pontiff.

Speaking to a group of bishops from Ireland an overwhelmingly Roman Catholic country where all but one seminary has closed following repeated scandals Benedict said it was urgent "to rebuild confidence and trust."

"In the exercise of your pastoral ministry, you have had to respond in recent years to many heart-rending cases of sexual abuse of minors," the pontiff told the bishops. "These are all the more tragic when the abuser is a cleric."

"The wounds caused by such acts run deep," Benedict said.

The pope told the bishops that as they continue to deal with the problem, "it is important to establish the truth of what happened in the past, to take whatever steps are necessary to prevent it from occurring again, to ensure that the principles of justice are fully respected and, above all, to bring healing to the victims and to all those affected by these egregious crimes."

Benedict mentioned only the crisis in Ireland, but his comments were likely to resonate in other nations where the church has been plagued by sex abuse scandals, such as the United States.

In Ireland, the church's moral standing, Mass attendance and applications for priesthood have plummeted since 1994, when the first major scandal involving a pedophile priest triggered the collapse of the government of then-Prime Minister Albert Reynolds.

Since then, both church and state in the country, where nearly 90 percent of its 4 million residents identify themselves as Catholic, have struggled to come to terms with the scale of abuse committed by priests. All but one seminary has closed.

The pope said however that "the fine work and selfless dedication of the great majority of priests and religious in Ireland should not be obscured by the transgressions of some of their brethren."

He added, "I am certain that the people understand this, and continue to regard their clergy with affection and esteem."

Benedict has rarely spoken openly about sex abuse cases.

Some of his strongest comments came in March 2005, shortly before he was made pope. In meditations composed for the Good Friday procession at the Colosseum, Benedict, then Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, denounced what he called "filth" in the church "even among those ... in the priesthood." Those words were seen by many as a possible denunciation of the clergy sexual abuse scandals.

In May, Benedict asked the elderly founder of the conservative order Legionaries of Christ, Mexican priest the Rev. Marcial Maciel, to stop celebrating public Masses and live a life of "prayer and penance" following a Vatican investigation into allegations he sexually abused seminarians decades ago.

The decision marked the first major abuse penalty approved by Benedict as pope, and showed he was not afraid pursuing prelates who enjoyed particular favor with his predecessor, John Paul II.

In the United States, sex abuse allegations have shaken the church, with 783 new credible claims last year, most of which date back decades, and costs of nearly $1.5 billion since 1950, according to figures compiled from various studies by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.

The total number of accusations against Catholic clergy in the United States now stands at more than 12,000 since 1950.

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#84711 - 10/30/06 09:55 PM Re: The Pope finally speaks out
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Dunx,

This will sound cynical to some, but my take on this is that the Pope's statement is his reply to the BBC documentary, which obliged him to make sure he had an appropriately righteous statement on record.

But let's see if anything is actually done. Talk is cheap.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#84712 - 10/30/06 10:07 PM Re: The Pope finally speaks out
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
This Pope as a Cardinal preached the ancient laws of dealing with abuse within the Church as denial.
The very reason I dont go to Church, is how it transpires that they were complicit with abuse for all time.

When I was a boy, I thought that priests were all good men that dont do bad, I was numbed by all the abuse going on then with nothing done about it.

I have in my time met many real priests who are of God. My radar picks them up as real men of the cloth, and I am sure glad I met them.

He now needs to go further, and have the Church report abuse to the authorities, just like anybody else has a duty to do.
Let the hurt come out now, and not send the priest to another parish to carry on abusing.

The Vatican, and indeed the Pope are guilty of not informing on abuse within the Church.

ste

#84713 - 10/30/06 11:05 PM Re: The Pope finally speaks out
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

This whole business reminds me of a time I was visiting a colleague of mine at the Catholic U. in Washington. My friend is a priest as well as a professor, of course, and while we were working in his study he got up and said he had to go get ready to say a mass in the chapel. He came out in a few minutes in his "priest rig", as I jokingly called it, and I commented that I had never seen him dressed up before. His answer was that he doesn't like to do that so much anymore, and when I asked why, he said that he doesn't want people to think he's a pervert.

It's a real shame. So many fine and decent priests out there, but tainted in the public mind by the crimes of the pedophiles in their midst.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#84714 - 10/30/06 11:27 PM Re: The Pope finally speaks out
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Larry, priests are priests, and I remember having to confess to father Coffey that I had been abused, and this is pretty woolley in my mind.

You stood in confession, and took whatever priest you got, and I got him, again woolley, but I guess that I told him I got hurt, and it was like does your family know?

I said NO!, and I guess he 'forgave me', and gave me penance for my sins.
He knew it was me, he knew that I never went to his service in Church.

The cry would go out on Sunday that he was in the area, and I told my folks that I didnt want to be there.

He would say to my folks that I need to be entrusted to him, NO, way, he was a perve and all the kids knew it.

Yeah, he knew I was abused and offered me a few prayers, thats as good as it got,

ste

#84715 - 10/30/06 11:34 PM Re: The Pope finally speaks out
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Ste,

Not having been raised a Catholic I really don't have a personal perspective on all this. Thanks for sharing how it felt as a Catholic boy who found no protection or support even from his church. I won't say I understand - it's just terrible.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#84716 - 11/16/06 04:59 PM Re: The Pope finally speaks out
sis Offline

Loc: Arizona
pedophiles are smart and know where to go to have access to children and where they will be protected for their crap. I wonder how many men joined the church to have that kind of access in the first place??? I will bet it is alot. light and luv,sis

#84717 - 11/16/06 06:46 PM Re: The Pope finally speaks out
Brokenhearted Offline

Loc: TX
How about this? What kind of person would become a priest when they know they have to give up intimacy/love/marriage/sex? Perhaps someone who is more comfortable with isolation? They do say that those who have been sexually abused, if they REMAIN SILENT AND ISOLATED, and never talk about it to others in order to reconnect to others, can be at risk of turning into pedophiles. So maybe men who have been abused, AND STAY SILENT AND ISOLATED where they're comfortable, choose a lifestyle of no sex or intimacy, and just end up festering into uncontrollable whatever. It's just a thought.

It were better for him that a millstone were hanged around his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.
Luke 17:2

#84718 - 11/17/06 06:34 PM Re: The Pope finally speaks out
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
But let's see if anything is actually done. Talk is cheap.

yeah and The Pope is cheap too -

I have as much faith in them - as I do the cigarette companies to do anything about their
wrongness until they are forced to.

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#84719 - 11/17/06 06:36 PM Re: The Pope finally speaks out
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.